Sleigh Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

no1kandrfan

While surfing the web this afternoon I came across the article - 10 Christmas Songs I’m Already Sick Of (and 10 Geeky Alternatives) from a blog on wired.com. The entire article can be found here: http://blog.wired.com/geekdad/2008/12/xmas-music-post.html?npu=1&mbid=yhp

I guess this guy is already tired of Sleigh Ride (how can anyone ever get tired of that song?). But the alternative he offers is a bootleg of Karen's Christmas vocals over alternative music:

"Sleigh Ride" – The Carpenters
My mom likes The Carpenters. So does yours. All moms love The Carpenters, and thus they are played on infinite repeat in every cinnamon-tainted home interior tchotchke shop in the civilized world. Their 1978 album Christmas Portrait is the stuff holiday-themed Adult Contemporary playlists are made of, and "Sleigh Ride" seems to be the favored track. But it sure ain’t no "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft."

For those who must get their Carpenters fix, try "Carpenters Christmas" by esteemed remixer Go Home Productions (of "Rapture Riders" fame). It layers Karen’s silky voice atop the dancehall rhythms of Roots Radics with surprisingly appealing results.It's still available as part of the Santastic II: Clausome bootleg compilation.

Has anyone ever heard of this?

Haven't heard it but I agree with his assessment of "Sleigh Ride" - I don't know why, but I just don't care for the lyrics of the song. The version I like the best is one using the original Leroy Anderson arrangement. Boston Pops did a great recording of it. It's an essential part of my Christmas listening.

Though I like the song "Sleigh Ride" and the Carpenters arrangement thereof, I always question its seemingly extreme usage on radio at this time of the year. I'd much rather hear their "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town" single, but that rarely gets into these Christmas stations' repertoire.

The thing that I find odd about "Sleigh Ride" is its use of Carpenters band members on some of the bridge vocals, making the song seem better suited to use on the TV special.

Harry

Thanks no1KandRfan for uncovering this. I hadn't heard it before, but how cool! Sleigh Ride, Goodbye to Love, and Calling Occupants all in one song. I would like to hear other treatments like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom