1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

Solo Album and Single Success

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by newvillefan, Sep 13, 2017.

1. David A

David A Active Member

Not quite sure where to post this, it has -some- relevance to this thread...

This is an interesting article, primarily because it mentions that the "soft rock" style that was so rejected starting in the 80's, is coming back to a degree. Makes one wonder if Karen and Richard may have had some kind of renaissance...?

A quote from article: "It’s safe to say, outside of his initial ’70s superstardom, it’s never been a more opportune time to be [Michael] McDonald. His soft-rock vocals and vibe, which tumbled sharply out of favor in the ’80s and remained uncool for decades, are now part of a major revival utilized by some of today’s most cutting-edge artists."

Michael McDonald on Thundercat, 'Yacht rock,' and his unlikely comeback

2. CraigGA

CraigGA Well-Known Member

I think this guy is full of himself and what he would have produced is actually Karen Carpenter as Diana Ross. I can’t believe I actually listen to his entire post. From his own words he thinks of himself as an elevation above the subject he is crafting, and refers to the subject as the singer, vocalist, and maybe artist, giving them little respect. I think A&M knew this and wanted to give Karen the best, and they did. Phil Ramone gave her the happiest time of her life and challenges with her own voice in challenging backup techniques resulting in distinct pleasure for the listener. I just don’t feel they were mixed and sweetened properly. Phil treated her as an artist who had a miraculous vocal talent. A voice that could have sung anything. He did not make a Carpenters sound. He made a sound distinctly different. The guy in the post would traded one trademarked sound for another and that would discredit Richard. Phil Ramone helped her create her own sound. Phil Ramone taught her how to compliment her individuality that she could use once she sang again with Richard. Phil was the best choice and the songs Karen chose were actually good and if her health was strong each song would have a solid conviction. After all, each of us have a different handful that we can’t do without! I know I have mine.

Walkinat9, Chris and Jeff like this.
  3. Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Eloquently said CraigGA.

4. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

I just heard The Woman in Me, John Bettis' song for Donna Summer. What a GREAT song this would have been for Karen's solo album!

5. AM Matt

AM Matt Well-Known Member

The female duo Heart (Ann & Nancy Wilson) also did the remake of "The Woman In Me" (from 1993 "Desire Walks On"). Matt Clark Sanford, MI