Songs you love by artists you can't stand

Status
Not open for further replies.
I generally cannot stomach anything by Rod Stewart but since he did one song with The Corrs, I was "forced" to accept at least that. So his song "Ooh La La" from WHEN WE WERE THE NEW BOYS with The Corrs playing backing is at least acceptable.

(But I made sure to purchase a used disc so as not to give the over-rated foghorn any of my money!)

Harry

I had the same attitude when I wanted THE OSBOURNES, the Soundtrack from their TV series complete w/ a Parental Advisory sticker... A used copy has served me well, as though the previous owner stuck in the player and solved whatever bizarre curiosity he had about whatever song/songs were on it just to eschew it... (Daughter Kelly Osbourne's "Papa, Don't Preach", perhaps...?)

My reason for this purchase outside of my listening sphere after Ozzy's tenure/association with Black Sabbath (the only place where I can stand listening to this morbid bat-eater) was the inclusion of Pat Boone who did Osbourne's "Crazy Train" on IN A METAL MOOD: NO MORE MR. NICE GUY, Pat's collection of interpretations of heavy metal songs he did a very credible song of covering... Boone and the Osbourne were briefly next door neighbors as each song on the soundtrack features narrations by Ozzy and family... And bits of Pat Boone's "Crazy Train" were heard and used as pay-on/play-off notes during episodes of the TV show...

Quite a contrast between how Oz sounds of late (the notorious, life-long drinking and drug use & abuse) and how he'd been able to pull it off having an OK voice to have fathered a singing career--his own songs on there ("Dreamer", "Mama, I'm Coming Home" and his own "Crazy Train") are tolerable, at best...

The CD comes with a Greeting Card (Osbourne Greeting Cards) which took me to realize it's perforated portion of the CD booklet, w/ the sentimental message: "I love you more than life itself...but you're f*@%ing mad...--a catch-phrase heard by Ozzy himself, made between an couple of the songs... That luckily got left intact by the disc's former owner...

Some of the other songs there are John Lennon's "Imagine", The Cars' "Drive", Eric Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight", The Kinks' "You Really Got Me", and System Of A Down's cover of Black Sabbath's "Snowblind"... Lastly is a Bonus Track, Chevelle's "Family System"... Luckily all for a fraction of what a new copy would cost, which this store I had bought this at also had, but this used copy had been very well-preserved...

-- Dave

Whoops, please excuse the following typo-'s: :oops:

Pat's collection of interpretations of heavy metal songs he did a very credible song of covering...

That's "JOB"of covering...

bits of Pat Boone's "Crazy Train" were heard and used as pay-on/play-off notes during episodes of the TV show

"PLAY on", I meant...

"I love you more than life itself...but you're f*@%ing mad...

Forgot the END -QUOTE (") there... :D

And, again, like the way this was a various artists package, I do hope Pat & the accompanying artists were properly paid for the appearances & songs (& whatever royalties any of their writers were entitled to)... But, to echo Harry in his philosophy, this Program which I'd heard of but never actually seen (reportedly, Oz had another daughter in addition to Kelly & son Jack, who'd both appeared on the show, that she had wanted no part of it, hence only those two siblings, father Ozzy, and of course, mother Sharon...) but I, too, did not really want any of money going into supporting... --Because of that yelping train-whistle...! :whistle:

-- Dave :nyah:

About once a week I tune in Top 40 radio just to check out what's happening. That's when I discovered Miley Cyrus' "Wrecking Ball" was a tune I liked, although I'm certainly not a fan of her music generally.

JB

"Smells Like Teen Spirit", "Heart-Shaped Box", and their covers of "Plateau", "Lake Of Fire" and "The Man Who Sold The World" are the only Nirvana songs that I'll really willingly listen to. I guess that their music isn't really my cup of tea, y'know?

I've never been able myself to get all that into Nirvana, which is a little odd considering that I'm a huge fan of Foo Fighters, but there's something about Dave Grohl's songwriting (and his vocals, too) that I just find a lot more pleasant and accessible than Kurt Cobain's. I do own a few of the Nirvana discs and enjoy a couple isolated songs (mostly the ones you just mentioned, like "Teen Spirit," "Heart-Shaped Box," and "The Man Who Sold the World"; "All Apologies" is another I'd have to add), but I don't think I've ever listened to any of those albums in their entirety more than once. I'd probably like Nirvana more than I do if Cobain and Grohl had actually split songwriting/singing duties.

LPJim, I don't know if you noticed the resemblance at all, but I, too, mysteriously liked "Wrecking Ball" (I'm not a fan of most of her music, either) and then I realized why I liked it - the music to the chorus is almost a dead-ringer for "Certain Kind of Fool" from the Eagles' Desperado album.

Jethro Tull: Always think their instrumentation is ambitious, majestic and clever! Then come the lyrics, sung by the satirical & sadistic Ian Anderson... I could buy some multi-artist compilation long ago, that included "Locomotive Breath" by this group & it had "Hocus Pocus" by Focus on it, but I can't remember the song on there that would have drawn me in to buy it--it was my back-in-the-day-collecting and actually finding stuff at Kmart, good 'n' cheap & on tape... But if I wanted a song by Focus, I could do what I did in my ensuing years, and that was to BUY the original albums, which I did, and as for J-T: Forget It!

In which case, it's been years, really, since I heard ANY Jethro Tull, even in FM 94.7 WCSX's redundant same-song-over & over-again format...! As I'd mentioned, just as I think I'm on the verge of hearing GOOD rock 'n' roll--along comes that GROWLING, SINGING...! ("Aqualung", "Bungle In The Jungle", "Locomotive Breath", "Wind Up") --Yes, the stuff I love to hate...

Neil Young had been a bit of a soundtrack for me, on the Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, After The Gold Rush & Harvest albums... Back when I was "YOUNG", when that music had just come out--and even wondered "What is the color of air?", from "I Am A Child" from Neil's days w/ Buffalo Springfield--I think I asked that question, which years later, I didn't think he'd enunciated it, until I listened more closely & asked it myself at my "tender years"--somehow, must'a known "black STAYS black, when it is burned", though...

I remember how just about all, everyone of his songs go--I listened to him in college & had just about all of his albums up to Trans, which unfortunately was missing the "If You Got Love" of which I'd only heard playing that song in a used record store, after I had ditched all his albums--I tried playing my guitar to all those songs--Yeh, "Like A Hurricane", too!!!!...

So, not an artist I particularly love, but don't really wanna condemn... --Just wish some of good money spent in that phase of my collecting (right down to EVERYBODY KNOWS... and ...GOLD RUSH, which were Harmony House purchases, bought new) had gone a much better route... At least Decayed Decade, which I saw someone buy the last, new gatefold of at Sam's Jam's, which gave me my Yessongs, in that manner, booklet and all, was bought on cassette tape...

-- Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom