1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. The new Herb Alpert remasters are now available for download from Amazon and iTunes, and high-res versions are available from Acoustic Sounds and HDTracks. Some of these albums are seeing their first-ever release digitally. Check them out today!

South Of The Border Cover

Discussion in 'The Beat of The Brass: Herb Alpert/Tijuana Brass' started by Shane, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Shane

Shane Member Thread Starter

I was doing some reading on wikipedia regarding various TJB albums when I picked up on a rather obscure fact. It mentions the cover for South of the Border (and What Now My Love) were taken at the Patio Del Moro apartments in West Hollywood. A quick google search shows the building is still standing. Check out this link, and compare the arch on the right side of the picture with the South of the Border cover.

File:Patio Del Moro, West Hollywood.JPG - Wikimedia Commons

2. Bobberman

Bobberman Well-Known Member

Not much has changed at all it appears

3. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    Interesting!

Next, we are going to wonder who is in the shadows of the photo. :wink:

upload_2017-9-21_0-17-39.png

upload_2017-9-21_0-18-13.png

Street view: Google Maps

upload_2017-9-21_0-19-26.png

Ronnie Madrid and Bobberman like this.
  4. Bobberman

True I looked at these photos online myself and it intrigues me because the SOTB album is not only one of my most favorite albums but Especially the cover since the first time I finally got my first copy at 13 years old the location and the scenery inspired me i thought it was a beautiful backdrop and It still is its very rare that this is still standing I wonder if Herb ever thought of doing another photo shoot at Patio del moro for one of his future albums for old times sake. But instead of sandra moss Lani would be there and would bring it all full circle I would love to see that it would be wonderful

Ronnie Madrid likes this.
  5. Captaindave

Captaindave Active Member

If you look for Patio Del Moro on You Tube, you should find some video clips of the property. I think a couple of them are real estate listings offering the property for sale. The address is also given.

6. Shane

Shane Member Thread Starter

That would be awesome if Herb recreated this shoot!

I live in California, and I've been to West Hollywood before... if I'm ever there again, I'd be tempted to grab my trumpet out of the closet along with my girlfriend, and have some stranger take a picture of us. :)

Bobberman likes this.
  7. Bobberman

Don't forget your Burnt orange Jacket Or something similar. Lol

8. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    Don't forget the yellow dress...and the extras in sombreros. :D

Bobberman likes this.
  9. I LOVE that idea!

My daughter lives in Reseda, which is in the Valley and part of the L.A. metro area. Next time I visit her I will have to go to this address for my own photo shoot. May even take my old grade school cornet and a sombrero!

Perhaps caption the photo, "What's South Of The Border Now, My Love"!

Yeah, I know. Pretty lame. Although it wouldn't bother me at all if Herb borrows my caption for the title of his future album cover that we're planning here!

But, I doubt he'd sink that low.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    Bobberman likes this.
  10. Great find! Any other album cover locations ever found, what about "SRO" or "Brass are Comin" was that a movie set??