Spotlight: RE-WHIPPED (DK 97641)

What Is Your Favorite Song On This Album?

• Whipped Cream

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • A Taste Of Honey

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Green Peppers

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Ladyfingers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Love Potion #9

• Peanuts

• Tangerine

• El Garbanzo

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Lemon Tree

• Lollipops And Roses

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Bittersweet Samba

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Butterball

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
JO said:
...clearly designed to appeal to the pocketbook of the under-25 “record” buyer.

And hurray for that. The more young people who might be exposed to Mr. Alpert, the better, IMHO.

Harry
...back in Pennsylvania, online...

The more young people who might be exposed to Mr. Alpert, the better, IMHO.
Yes. Also one must remember that clearly Herb must have liked this album or he would not have allowed it on the market.

I'd dare say he likes it better than SUMMERTIME, using that yardstick!

He rejected the "disco" idea of the TJB classics, true. But you can't compare that aborted idea to REWHIPPED because disco is a much more limiting format than the remix techniques used on REWHIPPED.

Unlike most artists, Herb has done so many different types of music that it's pretty much impossible for one person to love all of it. I mean, the Stones are great and all, but all of their records sound like the Stones. But a typical Herb Alpert solo record bears very little resemblance to a Tijuana Brass record. (Some of the TJB records don't bear all that much resemblance to other TJB records, for that matter.)

JO said:
I happen to find Cap’n D’s postings most satisfying.

His introspective essays tend to be well developed, detailed, and sincere. Additionally, Cap’n D is a professionally trained musician – which suggests unique perspectives relative to most musical connoisseurs. Cap’n D, like myself, appears un-wooed by fan/hero worship-based activity; rather I’m confident he values art for art’s sake – which, as we all know, will forever be regarded as a subjective (dare I say, “sordid”) affair.

I look forward to reading forthcoming Cap’n D contributions – as they tend to be genuine and heartfelt opinions. (I understand what it’s like to have an earnest essay unreasonably challenged – with one of mine once referred to as “crapola” by the more insular contributors in this world…)

Soldier on Cap’n D. I look forward to reading more of your personnel recollections and musician-based viewpoints.

And, yes, while I’m on the road to hell with the rest of the world, I will report that said record does zilcho for me. The fine trumpet playing notwithstanding, the remainder of what is supposed to pass for “music” can be tossed out with Sunday Morning’s fish papers...

I regard Herb as far and away the single most influential and significant US pop trumpet player of the last 45 years. That said I’ll be the first to write that most of the post-1974 work I've heard does little for me, and this recent effort approaches an embarrassing charade of the highest order clearly designed to appeal to the pocketbook of the under-25 “record” buyer.

I think that says a lot.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Mike

I think that says alot
Like what? [HEH HEH HEH]

Agreed: Surely it's nice to see the Alpert name make a connection with the junior members; nonetheless, in a perfect world, such would have occurred without compromised art. For example, it's doubtful the Rolling Stones will be re-whipping 12X5 or Dylan The Times They Are A-Changin' anytime soon. Their initial offerings have remained classics for 45 years with no tampering; Herb's finest LPs deserve similar fate.

Anyway, it's kinda silly to get all worked up over Whipped Cream & Other Delights (side 2 is just too patchy to qualify the LP as a classic in the same league with the subsequent LP release period, !!Going Places!! through ...Sounds Like...). Just as long as the re-whippers keep their egg beaters away from What Now My Love, S.R.O., ...Sounds Like... and Warm then there will be peace in the valley... Hey, Harry, I think I ran across an Amazon review you did for ...Sounds Like...! Nice job informing the masses of an album truly deserving wider recognition. We can only hope some of these whipped-up types actually check out some of the original issues.

JO said:
Hey, Harry, I think I ran across an Amazon review you did for ...Sounds Like...! Nice job informing the masses of an album truly deserving wider recognition.

Yep. That was my review posted on the main Amazon page for SOUNDS LIKE. Thanks for the compliment - I was truly impressed by SOUNDS LIKE on CD from Shout! Factory.

As for REWHIPPED, I think too many folks are intent on making clear their dissatisfaction with it. That's fine, as long as we all remember that these are the opinions of the poster's and not necessarily those of the "owners and management of AMCorner.com"

We get it, that some of the old TjB fans have problems with more modern sounds. And if they choose to revel in the old TjB albums, well, we can understand that too - it's not uncommon. They were great old albums - celebrated here a lot.

Just try to understand that many of us are not mired in ONLY the old sounds, but enjoy the new stuff too. It's enough to let us know that you don't care for something - let's not disparage those who DO like it. That's not what we're about here, and our rules plainly forbid it.

Harry

Harry said:
We get it, that some of the old TjB fans have problems with more modern sounds...Just try to understand that many of us are not mired in ONLY the old sounds, but enjoy the new stuff too. It's enough to let us know that you don't care for something - let's not disparage those who DO like it.
Guilty as charged.

My issue probably stems from being a music lover and a trumpeter -- and just not finding the overall direction of the post-mid-'70s Alpert music and horn to my liking; so in a sense it's like a double whammy of disappointment. (Admittedly, as much as I enjoy the '60s TJB LPs, personally I'm not much of a pop player -- and actually exhibit virtually no Herb influence. Blue Mitchell, Booker Little and especially Kenny Dorham were/are the most influential to me).

Thanks, Rudy, for pointing this out. Hey, if nothing else, I'm sure Herb would find it quite the cat's meow that his LPs continue to generate such spirited debate.

Ole'!

Sheesh! I stay offline for a few days and the sh!t hits the fan! (I guess that says a lot -- :laugh: )

Captain Dave and JO -- I've always enjoyed your posts because I treasure the variety of opinions out there. For exapmle my least favorite B66 LP is Stillness whiloe it is hands down the favorite among my fellow mods. Every album that is one person's favorite is another's least favorite. I think we can all agree to that! But we shan't belittle others because of it.

Re-Whipped is an album I find very enjoyable. Do I like it more than the original LP? Of course not. Is Re-Whipped inteded to be a replacement for the original, ie: a historical recreation of it similar to what Lucas did woith the original Star Wars Trilogy or Spielberg has done with E.T.??? Absolutley not. It's a new Herb Alpert album in which he re-explores classic TJB tunes with modern ambient and techno artists -- with the added bonius that you get new alpert trumpet solos on most of them!

So you like it or you don't. Personally I think it's the best thing Herb's done since Fandango. That doesn't mean all those other albums are horrible (though I rarely listen to many of them) -- they're just not "my cup-o-tea." Is this because I don't care so much for straight jazz but I enjoy some techno or ambient (as a filmaker they're fun for us editors)? I'm sure those factoids factor in to my taste as well.

So let's not let things get out of hand and agree to disagree. (And take Mike up on his Sake or Coffee offer if you get over to Japan -- he's a swell guy and one of the few things/people I miss from my hellish two years there)...

--Mr Bill
the A&M Corner "piece" emissary

Hey Bill, how you doin’? I think after all this, it might be best if I break out the can Chu-Hi. If that doesn’t mellow a guy out, he’s already dead!

SG_chuhai.jpg

Getting back to Re-Whipped: A minor note of interest is that the Japanese issue of Re-Whipped was in a jewel case instead of a didgi-pack. I think it must have been popular here because I can’t find it anymore; only the stateside Shout issue is available.

Regards,
Mike

Lifted from an old ReWHIPPED thread, details about the two different versions of the rewhipped "Bittersweet Samba", one found on the advance promo CD:

Captain Bacardi wrote:
For those of you who have the advanced copy of the CD: Notice that there's a difference on "Bittersweet Samba" in that there is a muted trumpet part at the beginning and in the middle on the actual release. This is missing on the advanced copy!
Capt. Bacardi

There are some interesting differences in the two "Bittersweet Samba" tracks.

The Advance CD starts with a cymbal crash leading to a push-and-pull Brazilian samba rhythm. Herb's initial trumpet note hits at the :09 mark.

The stock CD starts with a fade-up with a straighter rhythm, not as much push-and-pull. Herb's initial trumpet hits at the :07 mark.

I think there may be other differences as well. It's definitely a different "mix".

Harry

The cover for the Advance CD:

ReWhipped_A.jpg

ReWhipped_B.jpg

Harry said:
JO said:
Hey, Harry, I think I ran across an Amazon review you did for ...Sounds Like...! Nice job informing the masses of an album truly deserving wider recognition.

We get it, that some of the old TjB fans have problems with more modern sounds. And if they choose to revel in the old TjB albums, well, we can understand that too - it's not uncommon. They were great old albums - celebrated here a lot.

Harry

I don't think it's a matter of Rewhipped being "modern." I think some of us would just rather have an organic kind of sound. Just because the album is a remix album and is full of electronic instruments doesn't make it modern. Actually, it kind of sounds dated.

audiofile said:
I don't think it's a matter of Rewhipped being "modern." I think some of us would just rather have an organic kind of sound. Just because the album is a remix album and is full of electronic instruments doesn't make it modern. Actually, it kind of sounds dated.
Good point, Audiophile!

It's really dependent on one's frame of reference. '60s TJB music has always sounded timeless to me; yet, the 2-3 times I've heard selections from Beyond or Rise -- it just totally sounded ancient...and forever locked into a specific time period. It's all a matter of which side one butter's their bread (or, as it's done here in Bezerkeley, with soy spread because milking cows amounts to animal cruelty and other such retarded nonsense). The one common denominator through it all is the Alpert horn -- which, even in the most dire of musical contexts, remains uniquely appealing and instantly identifiable.

Whipped Cream & Other Delights was probably the optimal LP to re-whip given its emphasis on an up-beat/festive programme. (Plus you also got the famous photo re-whipped to raise a few eyebrows...among other things. I mean, re-whipping the ...Sounds Like... cover probably wouldn't make the same kinda splash, you know?) On the other hand, re-whipping the near sacred The Sea is my Soil with the usual urban assult would result in mutiny in some quarters.

Harry said:
Just try to understand that many of us are not mired in ONLY the old sounds, but enjoy the new stuff too.
Harry

With all due respect, I think there are a few folks here who might feel that this analogy isn't exactly accurate.

For example, I like chicken noodle soup. I also like ice cream. However, I don't like ice cream in my chicken noodle soup.

Translation: I don't exactly have a problem with modern sounds, as I have every Herb Alpert vinyl from THE LONELY BULL through NORTH ON SOUTH ST., and CDs of everything available through RE-WHIPPED. And I don't think I'm the only Herb fan with such an ecclectic collection.

That having been said, the RE-WHIPPED concept would have been executed much more effectively if the remix engineers hadn't 'gone overboard' with the effects. As I indicated earlier, "Whipped Cream" and "A Taste Of Honey" were pretty good. But as the album wore on, it just started getting crazy. I mean, what was up with all of that sampling of "Why don't we start at the top?" on "Tangerine"???

The mix of "Green Peppers" would have been great, but it just dragged on and on forever. (Maybe I am biased after 40+ years...)

"Bittersweet Samba", I have to admit, was pretty cool, except for that stupid-sounding vocal sample, "one-two, one-two-three-four". Oh, well... Just ruined that!

And "Lolipops And Roses"... The trombone part of the bridge was completely omitted, of course, because "Ugh!! We can't have that UN-hip sound on a 2006 recording!!!" Coulda had Herb do a new trumpet solo in place of that, playing the melody there... But, nooooooo. Had to be evasive of the melody, and if you never heard the original, you wouldn't even know how the song goes! (I know. It's supposed to get the young crowd motivated to go out and buy a copy of the original... Yeah, right...)

As for the rest of the tracks, pretty much consistantly off the wall, weird. Forget the originals. Even if I'd never heard them, I'd say that these mixes are weird, period.

What I'm trying to say here is that I'm often open to new music and fresh musical ideas, esp. from my favorite trumpeter and musician. Unfortunately, some ideas just don't work too well. And RE-WHIPPED is a prime example where I had high hopes, and expected something better, and was left somewhat disappointed. Sorry if I have offended anyone.

Tony

This thread kind of reminds me of a good old fashion "dog-pile". But hey, that's cool... everyone gets to put out their opinion, and then reinforce it a few more times... it's all good. I own my ears and what I listen too with them, as does everyone else. My money is my money -- buy the music that I enjoy; get to ignore that which turns me off. Life is good and this is a good forum.

The glass is always half full or fuller... no matter what!

All the best,
Mike

Captaindave said:
So, my opinion is that if you like it, play it.

I do, and I did :) - just this morning on the way to work. This album makes me happy and has brightened my day considerably.

I don't care what anyone says - ReWHIPPED is a joyous, wonderful concept of an album, and I can only feel sorrow for those who cannot take a little bit of that joy from it.

Harry

I keep my copy of REWHIPPED at the movie theatre. I play it when doing film work sometimes -- its upbeat nature makes the work go faster. A good fast-rock XM channel will do the same thing.

I've finally gotten around to listening to this. I'm way late to the party, obviously, but I actually like this CD. I can tell by the 2006 date that it was meant to cash in on the Verve Remixed craze of that period - back when so many of us rushed out to own that cool Sarah Vaughn remix of Peter Gunn. But overall, this is a little better than that series - more creative rhythm tracks, and less of the thumping sound. I especially like Bittersweet Samba and Lollipops and Roses, and Herb's new solos, of course. It's just good escapist fun for me, when I'm in need of a change of pace.

lorelei said:
I've finally gotten around to listening to this. I'm way late to the party, obviously, but I actually like this CD.

You've got pretty good taste (for a Jack Jones fan, anyway)!

(Just kidding!) :)

Harry

lorelei said:
I've finally gotten around to listening to this. I'm way late to the party, obviously, but I actually like this CD. I can tell by the 2006 date that it was meant to cash in on the Verve Remixed craze of that period - back when so many of us rushed out to own that cool Sarah Vaughn remix of Peter Gunn. But overall, this is a little better than that series - more creative rhythm tracks, and less of the thumping sound. I especially like Bittersweet Samba and Lollipops and Roses, and Herb's new solos, of course. It's just good escapist fun for me, when I'm in need of a change of pace.

Nice thoughts, especially that last sentence.

Herb Alpert has had two very different careers; it's only natural(and probably inevitable) that someday, at some point they'd merge. REWHIPPED is that moment.

I agree that the original Brass sound is a timeless thing, and Herb's solo work, for the most part, isn't. But, it isn't supposed to be...Herb has always been a trendsetter, right? You can't be a trendsetter without trends. So, he breaks new ground and then moves on...

REWHIPPED reminds me of something Don Ellis said in his liner notes from LIVE AT FILLMORE regarding his recording of HEY JUDE; it was an attempt to show an audience just how the band worked with their own original material. He took a tune everybody knew and did it in his own style to show everybody just what his sound was all about. REWHIPPED does that in a way; it showcases modern sounds, recording techniques and musical styles in a familiar context. It is far more LATINO in flavor than would ever have been commercially or politically correct in 1965. To some, it's like drawing a mustache on the Mona Lisa; to others it's aural gratification caliente style. To each his/her own...

Dan

UPDATE: Here's an old INSIDER piece on the photo shoot for REWHIPPED that someone's posted on YouTube.

Harry

I remember when that piece came out. I couldn't believe they screwed up saying that Herb co-wrote "Wonderful Life" instead of "Wonderful World". Kinda typical of those kind of shows.

I love RE-WHIPPED and I love the original. They're different works, from different eras and each has its merits and its weak points. I play the original when I want to transport myself back to teenage days, but I play RE-WHIPPED in the car when I'm stuck in traffic or on a long journey in the rain - it cheers me up. Music will always be subjective for everyone, but I think the detractors of the new version really ought to remember that Herb liked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom