Strange Sounds Heard at the End of a Song

Dave

OK, Bobby Goldsboro sings "THREE In The Morning", emphasizing the last verse at the end, on "Three In The Morning", written by Andy Kim and his brother "J" Youakim, which to my knowledge no version by Kim or any of his "manufactured groups" The Detergents or The Archies exists... This is the last song, Side 2 (which I play as Side 1) on THE ROMANTIC, WACKY, SOULFUL, ROCKIN', COUNTRY BOBBY GOLDSBORO...

On Andy Williams' YOU'VE GOT A FRIEND, Andy does a cover of The Fortunes' "Here Comes That Rainy Day Feeling Again", on which he trills the sound of the title, emphasizing "AGAIN" in his highest pitch at the ending as the song fades off...

(You have to increase the volume to really hear it, as well as what I mentioned in the other song)

Anyway, my point is: What songs do you hear a more high-pitched singing or playing by the group or artist on at the end of the song as it fades away? Often getting up-beat enough that you'd wish you could'a heard it before the "fade"...

Dave

[Note New Thread Title...]

On Simon & Garfunkel's "So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright" from the "Bridge Over Troubled Water" album, as Garfunkel is repeating "So long ... so long" over and over, way in the background you can hear Simon and producer Roy Halee yelling "So long already, Artie!"

jbohen (Yow said:
On Simon & Garfunkel's "So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright", as Garfunkel is repeating "So long...So long..." over and over, way in the background you can hear Simon and producer Roy Halee yelling "So long already, Artie!"

Wow, really? I have heard a "So Long!" called out as the song fades away, too... I had no idea it was Paul Simon and engineer Roy Halee... (Really thought it was just the latter...) Never knew that...!

Man, how high did you have to turn the volume up to hear the "...already, Artie" at the end???

Dave

...--And thanks for your response on this poor, little, forgotten topic, too...! :wave:

Art Garfunkel mentioned it in a Rolling Stone interview in 1973 at the time of his first solo album. Here's the quote:

What is your favorite thing on any of your records?

Funny you should ask that. I heard the Bridge over Troubled Water album for the first time in a while recently and at the end of side one, in ‘ So long Frank Lloyd Wright’, I realized that one of the things I liked most in our records was mixed down too softly. We were always very cautious about jokes, even though we were always fooling around. We’d almost never keep anything that was light-hearted in our records. Who knows why? And I realized we mixed one of the things I really enjoyed because nobody has ever told me they heard it. It occurs at the end of Frank Lloyd Wright in the fade-out ending as I’m repeating So long, So long, and vamping again and again – and I think it’s like on the fourth repeat of the vamp. In the background Paul and Roy scream out “SO LONG ALREADY ARTIE”. I loved it, I said we’d have to have it big and they were very cautious.

jbohen said:
On Simon & Garfunkel's "So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright" from the "Bridge Over Troubled Water" album, as Garfunkel is repeating "So long ... so long" over and over, way in the background you can hear Simon and producer Roy Halee yelling "So long already, Artie!"

It occurs actually while the recording is still at full volume, at about 2:55 in.

I never noticed it before, but there it is!

Since we're in the Christmas season, how about Herb Alpert saying "Terrific, terrific" at the fade in "The Bell That Couldn't Jingle?"

Harry

The song "I'll Meet You Halfway" from The Partridge Family, someone is saying "Houston" at the end of that song. :o

I believe Jim Morrison moans out something like "Strange..." at the end of The Doors' "Hello, I Love You"...

Dave

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the most famous and most controversial fade-out tag... John Lennon's blurry "I'm very bored" .. or is it "Cranberry Sauce"... or back in 1969 we even thought we heard, "I buried Paul" ... at the fade out of "Strawberry Fields Forever" by the Beatles.

At the end of Captain Sensible's "Wot" (from his A&M LP Ladies and Captains First after the song is faded and the music has also stopped you can hear Captain S say, "What you f*ckin' want, sh!head?" after which the back up girls break out into laughter...

--Mr Bill

At the end of the song "A Different Beat" from Walter Wanderley's Popcorn, a man can be heard saying "Oh, boy," as if he's glad the song is over, or if it was a tiring effort. No telling whose voice it is.

There's a gospel singer named Helen Baylor who has a great album called LOVE BROUGHT ME BACK. On the song "The Best Is Yet To Come" (not the standard, BTW), Rose Stone - Sly's sister - steps out from the background and starts ad libbing. She didn't like the take she'd done and sang, "let me do it again, Billy, Billy, baby.....". Bill Maxwell got such a kick out of it that he kept it and it's there during the fade.....

And I'm going to dig out BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER as soon as I can!

And "Sedaka is back" during the end of "Love Will Keep Us Together" - and listening all the way to the last note of Phil Woods' sax solo at the end of Paul Simon's "Have A Good Time"

A&Mguyfromwayback said:
...The last note of Phil Woods' sax solo at the end of Paul Simon's "Have A Good Time"...

Phil Woods? I thought it was the late-Michael Brecker...

There is also the sound of a passing train on 5th Dimension's "Aquarius"/"Let The Sunshine In", though it is really heard at the song/medley's crescendo... (The engineer, reportedly couldn't edit it out...)

And, well, as "Aquarius"/"Let The Sunshine In", does fade away, Billy Davis, Jr. who ad-libs during the song's coda, shouts out "I want you to sing along with The 5th Dimension"...

Here's another one in the Obscure category: The late-John Stewart's "A Touch Of The Sun" from his LONESOME PICKER RIDES AGAIN album... At the end, John rolls his tongue--you know, "Brrrrrrllllllll!"--right as the song fades off...

Bobby Goldsboro's "It Hurts Me" on BLUE AUTUMN and a few compilations it was included on fades away, however on his 23-track GREATEST HITS set on CD, you do hear the song winding down, and having a "complete end"...!

Here's a YouTube presentation of Simon & Garfunkel's "So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright"...:

On it you see the famed architect, Frank Lloyd Wright's beautiful designs... And yes, I finally heard "--Already, Artie!" at the end of the song... It actually has a complete ending, too... The thumping of the conga or bongo drum finishes the song at the end...

Dave

One of my favorite subtle "human sounds" occurs in the drum intro to "Coney Island" where you can hear Steve Schaeffer (I assume it's him) grunt a few beats in before all the other instruments come in...

--Mr. Bill

When I heard the song "No Quarter" by Led Zeppelin (from 1973 "Houses Of The Holy"), Robert Plant is saying "I hear the dogs of doom are howling more" & the late John Bomham drumming is heard at the end of that song. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

A&Mguyfromwayback said:
There's a gospel singer named Helen Baylor who has a great album...

Helen Baylor! Wow! I had the great pleasure of working with her and her husband during one of my jobs in my "Hollywood" days between my first and current Navy careers.

--Mr. Bill

An "O'waaaaahhhh-haaahhh...", Bobby Goldsboro sings out (and pretty audibly) at the end of my non-LP '45', "Too Hot To Handle", an offshoot of the one album Bobby recorded on Epic...

Dave

The song "Don't Talk To Strangers" by Rick Springfield from 1982 (from "Success Hasn't Spoiled Me Yet"), I think he's sayin' "I know he's talkin' dirty". :o Matt Clark Sanford, MI

"He ain't heeeeeeaaaaavvvvvyyyy..." -- "He Ain't Heavy (He's My Brother)", right as it fades off, sung by a number of artists who have covered it, including The Hollies (I believe that it was written by an "outside writer" (contrary to the popular belief that the group, or someone in the group, wrote it)...

Although a few versions have a "complete ending", without the vamp at the end...

Dave

I remember hearing how the Guess Who was "discouraged" from playing their song "American Woman" for the President because of its anti-American lyrics. During the fadeout, Burton Cummings sings "Goodbye American woman, goodbye American chick" ...For several years (before I had a high-quality listening device!) I thought that lyric ended with "goodbye American sh!t."

I always liked Herb's solo on the fadeout of "Salud, Amor y Dinero". Sounded like it was leading somewhere new....

And there's the trumpet "high note" at the end of The Outsiders' "Time Won't Let Me"...

Dave

--Played by whooooo????? :shrug: :laugh:

--Alice Cooper, (heard at the end of) "Department Of Youth"...:

AC: "Who's got the Power?"

Chorus: "We do!"

AC: "And who gave it to you?"

Chorus: "Donny Osmond!"

AC: "What???!!!" (Mumble, mumble...)

Dave

Back
Top Bottom