Summertime Darlin'

bob

I was just listening to tjb summertime I bought from Itunes and it seens the darlin has an extended ending.

I thought at first it was a defect in the file. I played again and wow. on the original album darlin ended with

herb playing and holding that note and it faded out. but on this new remastered right after the long holding

note. you hear like a rubbing noice, then Herb start playing again. and it ending different. so if any of you

bought the new tjb summertime remastered on line please check it out. I like to all of your opinions on this.

it is me or did they give the extended of Darlin.

bob

hi Rich, as I mention it was right after the long note at the end,then you hear like a rubbing noise that was

the tape reels. unless maybe it was a crupted file from Itunes I don't know. maybe the amazon download is

not like that, as far as no one mentioning it, maybe they did not buy it from Itunes I still say it was a defect

in the file download from where I got it from. because from what I read they wanted to keep it original. the

sticker on the Christmas Album and Whipped Cream on the CD version that was released in stores it was

remastered from the original analog tape.

bob

I grabbed SUMMERTIME since I was mostly curious about the extra length on "Darlin'". With a little bit of analysis, it sounds like the extra section was maybe a different attempt by Herb to overlay his trumpet over the main backing section. You can line the second and third sections up, and really, the only thing different is Herb's part. All of the rest of the band seem to line-up perfectly. So what I think might have happened is that Herb had done that third section first and wanted to improve on it and did another take, which we have heard for years as that second section. Then, not sure which one he'd go with, he saved that other take on the same reel. With the way the track stops and starts, Randy/Bernie may have thought it was really a part of the record. It sounds like more of an outtake to me - but very cool to have.

Harry

thanks Harry for clearing that up. I thought I was just hearing things, I thought it was just me, but you confermed it. thanks again harry.yeah I like to hear Randy & Bernie comments on that. maybe one could contact Randy and possibly post is

answer on the corner, because I am curious to know, and why it was not on the original album from 1971.

bob

Actually, it's not a rubbing noise you hear midway and at the end. That's Herb messing around on the horn — sort of spitting into it, not making a true note.

Actually, it's not a rubbing noise you hear midway and at the end. That's Herb messing around on the horn — sort of spitting into it, not making a true note.
Very audible on headphones, in fact. It's the sort of thing a musician does when he feels that the song is going to fade out at the end and nobody will ever hear it. :laugh:

After the "decay" of the first half (going by just a cellphone stopwatch...like, between: 1:20-1:32); you can hear studio/control room banter -in the RIGHT channel- and, almost, like the sound of the recorder "punching-in" (at 1:35-or-so) to resume the rest of the song (on the 1971 version).

I'm still loving the extra verse/chorus of "Darlin'"on the HAP version of SUMMERTIME. Fun stuff.

I personally love the Extra length version on the HAP release pretty revelatory as to the recording process I think but it's one of those bonus treats we were given very much like some of the Shout factory issues some time back I'm still enjoying those too

Back
Top Bottom