1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The new Herb Alpert remasters are now available for download from Amazon and iTunes, and high-res versions are available from Acoustic Sounds and HDTracks. Some of these albums are seeing their first-ever release digitally. Check them out today!

SUMMERTIME White Label Promo

Discussion in 'The Beat of The Brass: Herb Alpert/Tijuana Brass' started by Harry, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Harry

Harry Charter Member Moderator Thread Starter

I saw this on ebay and did a double-take as I'd never run across one like this:

SummertimeMonoLabel.jpg

I've seen stereo WLP's of this album before, but this one's a mono. I've not found any mention of it in our forums, so I went ahead and sprang for it. We'll see what it's like when it gets here. I've been fascinated with some of my other recent mono finds like the Pete Jolly, FOOL ON THE HILL, TjB's CHRISTMAS ALBUM. They always seem to have a surprise or two.

Bobberman likes this.
  2. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

Interesting. These all seem to fall on the cusp of the changeover from mono to stereo.

3. Acapulco 1922

Acapulco 1922 Member

I (had) thought the mono DJ copy of Paul McCartney's RAM album (coincidentally, from the same year) was the "latest" mono album (since they would've been gone from the mainstream -at least- THREE years earlier).

4. Bobberman

Bobberman Active Member

Wow Good Luck on Your Rare Find. If its a True Dedicated Mono issue " You will have another Extreme rarity.

5. Harry

Would you believe that I just turned up yet another one? YOU SMILE-THE SONG BEGINS for AM Radio Play only.
    YouSmileMono.jpg

The mono gods must be smiling on me...

DeeInKY and Bobberman like this.
  6. Bobberman

Bobberman Active Member

My oh My You are on a Roll My Friend. You must feel like a kid let loose in a candy store.

7. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

My promo of that album has a mono label on one side and stereo on the other. So I have no clue what I have here! :laugh: The stereo mix on that album was pretty narrow to begin with, so it was always hard to tell what I had. But it didn't sound exaggerated like a fold-down can, so it may have been stereo on both sides. The jacket mentioned nothing about AM radio use--it just has the promo sticker.

I'd look at the matrix but it's packed away in a box.

8. Harry

It appears that they made both mono promos and stereo promos. This eBay ad shows the label for the stereo version:
    HERB ALPERT & THE TIJUANA BRASS "You Smile – The Song Begins" WHITE LABEL PROMO | eBay »

It appears the only difference is the word "mono" or "stereo" at the bottom, and a matrix of either (3639) or (SP-3639). And the mono jacket has an extra sticker (AM Radio Play Only), while the stereo only has one (Promotional - Not For Sale).

9. Captain Bacardi

Captain Bacardi Well-Known Member Moderator

I have a copy of that as well. Found it at a record show a few years back.

10. Harry

Anything remarkable on it?

11. Captain Bacardi

Captain Bacardi Well-Known Member Moderator

Not that I recall, other than the usual compression. I think I only played it once and didn't notice any real differences.

12. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

I'm thinking of the numbers written or stamped in the runoff area. My jacket did not specify AM radio play, but it does have a promo sticker, mono label on one side and stereo on the other, and with labels sometimes getting mixed up during the pressing process (like my Roger Nichols with the same label on both sides), it makes me wonder what I have. If I dig it out later this year, I'll have to compare it. My guess is that it is stereo with the wrong label on one side.