Supporting new groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruno

Did you hear the cover version of SORRY SEEMS TO BE THE HARDEST WORD, which Elton John recently recorded with the british boy group BLUE? It's getting a lot of airplay here in Europe, and in my opinion, it's really a a good cover version.

Wouldn't it be a good idea, if Richard Carpenter would support a new boy or girl group in this way, too? Imagine a cover version for example of CLOSE TO YOU. This could not only help the new group getting established, but it could bring Richard back again in the light of public, where he as a brilliant pianist, arranger, composer and conductor belongs.....

Bruno

:tongue:

Definitely not !!!
I would not want to hear less gifted singers destroy the feel and atmosphere of the good old Carpenters-songs. Just remember how bad all the Abba cover- boy- or -girl-groups were or this terrible version of Alison Moyets "All cried out" by the No Angels. Imagine "Yesterday once more going Techno" on MTV or wherever. Makes me shiver!!! Or Kylie Minogue singing (?) "Close to you" in a stripper's wear. Or Shakira and all these latin-singers.The bigger the breast the thinner the voice.
You see I get exited just thinking about it.

Never mind !

Achim :rolleyes:

I would love to have Richard produce something with a new group or artist, but not to rehash the old songs. I'd rather newer material be used with Richard's producing and arranging talents.

Harry
...who'd love for Richard Carpenter to produce a Corrs record, online...

Harry said:
I would love to have Richard produce something with a new group or artist, but not to rehash the old songs. I'd rather newer material be used with Richard's producing and arranging talents.

...and with a singer or group that has talent, unlike the stuff that passes for "music" on our pop charts these days.

Achim said:
I would not want to hear less gifted singers destroy the feel and atmosphere of the good old Carpenters-songs... Imagine... Kylie Minogue singing (?) "Close to you" in a stripper's wear.

Hmmm... now THAT'S something that I would pay to see!!! :D
Seriously, I would love to hear what Kylie would do with "Close To You". Whatever her take on the song, I'm sure it would be memorable. A couple of years ago, she performed Olivia Newton-John's "Physical" in concert, wearing sexy lingerie, and doing a pole dance :shock: It was incredible :!:

Murray
... in need of a cold shower :wink: ...

Murray said:
Achim said:
I would not want to hear less gifted singers destroy the feel and atmosphere of the good old Carpenters-songs... Imagine... Kylie Minogue singing (?) "Close to you" in a stripper's wear.

Hmmm... now THAT'S something that I would pay to see!!! :D
Seriously, I would love to hear what Kylie would do with "Close To You". Whatever her take on the song, I'm sure it would be memorable. A couple of years ago, she performed Olivia Newton-John's "Physical" in concert, wearing sexy lingerie, and doing a pole dance :shock: It was incredible :!:

Murray
... in need of a cold shower :wink: ...

Kylie could burp and it would be incredible... :wink:

Dan

Very bad idea! Top-40 stations would never play Richard Carpenter,even if he teamed up with Britney Spears!Karen's a great singer,and Richard's a great producer,but they're not Top 40!And,some of the reviewers above who compare Karen Carpenter to Olivia Newton-John and Kylie Minogue display an incredible lack of knowledge!They should listen to some of Karen's albums and see what they sound like! I grew up in the 80's listening to all the Top 40 stuff,like Pat Benatar,Laura Branigan,Olivia,Duran Duran,Kim Carnes,etc.I KNOW what top 40 music sounds like!Top 40 stations wouldn't play a Carpenters record then,and they certainly wouldn't play it now!The few stations around here(New York) that play Karen Carpenter are same stations that play Frank Sinatra,Tony Bennett,and Barbra Streisand!

Have we all forgot about the IF I WERE A CARPENTER cd that was out around 1994 with songs from Sonic Youth, etc. that trubuted Carptenter music and the buzz it created? There were even posters of the cd cover on shows like Melrose Place and magazine articles about an underground cool Carpenter frenzy.

Craig

mr J. said:
And,some of the reviewers above who compare Karen Carpenter to Olivia Newton-John and Kylie Minogue display an incredible lack of knowledge!They should listen to some of Karen's albums and see what they sound like! I grew up in the 80's....

Excuse me, Mr J, but I think you should go back and re-read what was written. NOBODY compared Karen to Olivia or Kylie. Achim mentioned that he would not want to see Kylie "singing 'Close to you' in a stripper's wear". I replied that Kylie did an incredible cover of an Olivia song, and I would be interested to hear what she would do with "Close To You".

FYI, I've been a fan of the Carpenters since 1970, and have listened to all of their albums hundreds of times. Been a fan of Olivia since the early 70's, and a fan of Kylie since 1988. And I have albums by ALL the 80's artists that you mention among the thousands in my collection (which range from the 40's to the present). So, I can hardly be accused of having "an incredible lack of knowledge"! :rolleyes: Same goes for the other posters in this thread! You won't find a more knowledgeable group of music listeners anywhere.

Murray

Hey Achim,

cool down, man! :tongue:

Ok, perhaps you're right: No other female singer should cover a Carpenters song. But what about some boy group, like BLUE? I think, this would be another approach, and perhaps even you would enjoy it..... :wink:

Bruno

Just discovered at amazon.de, that there actually is a brandnew cover version from CLOSE TO YOU, it's a techno-dance song performed by Axel Coon. Saw it some days ago at MTV, but only some seconds, so can't review it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom