1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. We have received word that UMe is aware of the problem with the Carpenters vinyl releases, both the box sets and the individual LPs, and has offered a solution. To receive a replacement, send a proof of purchase to [email protected]. UMe prefers email, but those who prefer phone contact may call 1-800-288-5942 to speak to Customer Support.

Album Sides THE ALBUM SIDES [Poll]: "AN OLD-FASHIONED CHRISTMAS" SP-9107

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Chris May, Dec 13, 2017.

Which side is your favorite?

1. Side 1

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. Side 2

14 vote(s)
    63.6%
  1. Chris May

Chris May Resident 'Carpenterologist' Moderator Thread Starter

“AN OLD-FASHIONED CHRISTMAS”

oldfashionedxmas.jpg

Catalogue Number: A&M SP-3270, SP-5172, SP-9107 (Canada)
    Year of Release: 1984
    Chart Position: U.S.: #190
    Album Singles: "Little Altar Boy"/"Do You Hear What I Hear"
    Medium: Vinyl/Cassette/CD (Japan, U.S. Christmas Collection, Disc 2)

Side 1:
    1.) It Came Upon A Midnight Clear :43 (Sears/Willis)
    2.) Overture 8:13

a. Happy Holiday (Berlin) Irving Berlin Music Company, adm. by Williamson Music Company (ASCAP)
    b. The First Noel (P.D. Trad. Old English Carol)
    c. March Of The Toys (Herbert) Warner Bros., Inc. (ASCAP)
    d. Little Jesus (P.D. From the Oxford Book Of Carols)
    e. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus (Connor) Jewel Music Publishing Co., Inc. (ASCAP)
    f. O Little Town Of Bethlehem (P.D. L.H. Redner) Longitude Music Co. (BMI)
    g. In Dulce Jubilo (P.D. 14th Century German melody)
    h. Gesu Bambino (The Infant Jesus) (Yon) Beam Me Up Music (ASCAP)
    i. Angels We Have Heard On High (P.D. Trad. French Carol)

3.) An Old-Fashioned Christmas 2:15 (Carpenter/Bettis)
    4.) O Holy Night 3:10 (P.D. Adolphe Adam/Adapted by Richard Carpenter)
    5.) (There’s No Place Like) Home For The Holidays 2:36 (Allen/Stillman)
    6.) Medley 3:43

a. Here Comes Santa Claus (Autry/Haldeman) Gene Autry's Western Music Publishing (ASCAP)
    b. Frosty The Snowman (Nelson/Rollins) Chappell & Co. (ASCAP)
    c. Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer (Marks) St. Nicholas Music Inc. (ASCAP)
    d. Good King Wenceslas (P.D. John Mason Neale, Adapted by Richard Carpenter) Almo Music Corp./Hammer and Nails Music, adm. by Almo Music Corp.
    (ASCAP)

7.) Little Altar Boy 3:43 (Smith)

Side 2:
    8.) Do You Hear What I Hear? 2:53 (Regney/Shayne)
    9.) My Favorite Things 3:53 (Rodgers/Hammerstein)
    10.) He Came Here For Me 2:12 (Nelson)
    11.) Santa Claus Is Coming To Town 4:04 (Gillespie/Coots)
    12.) What Are You Doing New Year’s Eve? 2:51 (Loesser)
    13.) Selections from “The Nutcracker” 6:14 (P.D. Peter Illych Tchaikovsky, Adapted by Richard Carpenter)
    a. Overture Miniature
    b. Dance Of The Sugar Plum Fairy
    c. Trepak
    d. Valse Des Fleurs

14.) I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day 2:21 (Marks/Longfellow, Adapted by Johnny Marks)

Album Credits:

Conceived and Produced by Richard Carpenter
    Lead vocals: Karen Carpenter and Richard Carpenter
    Piano: Richard Carpenter
    Arranged by: Peter Knight (#2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 12, 13, 14), Richard Carpenter (#1, 11) and Billy May (#10)
    Keyboards: Richard Carpenter & Pete Jolly
    Upright Bass: Pete Morgan
    Electric Bass: Joe Osborn
    Drums: Ron Tutt & Barry Morgan
    Harp: Skiala Kanga & Gayle Levant
    Tenor Sax: John Phillips
    Vocals: The O.K. Chorale Conducted by Dick Bolks, The English Chorale Conducted by Robert Howes, Karen & Richard Carpenter
    Recorded at:
    A&M Recording Studios, Hollywood, CA
    Engineered by Roger Young, Ray Gerhardt and Robert De La Garza
    EMI "Abbey Road" Studios
    Engineered by Eric Tomlinson
    Assistant: Allan Rouse
    Mixed at:
    A&M Recording Studios
    Engineered by Roger Young
    Assistants: Clyde Kaplan & Jim Cassell
    Evergreen Studios
    Engineered by John Richards
    Assistants: Dave Marquette & Mike Hatcher
    Mastered by Arnie Acosta at A&M Mastering Studios, Hollywood CA
    Santa Claus Is Coming To Town Produced by Jack Daugherty and Richard & Karen Carpenter
    Art Direction: Chuck Beeson
    Album Design: Melanie Nissen
    Illustration: Robert Tanenbaum
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dedication:

This album lovingly dedicated to the memory of my late sister and friend Karen, who was extremely fond of both Christmas and Christmas music. - Richard Carpenter

© 1984 A&M Records, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Jeff likes this.
  2. ars nova

ars nova Active Member

I've chosen side one. I like Richard's opening, OLD FASHIONED CHRISTMAS, and HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS. LITTLE ALTAR BOY is one of Karen's best performances.

3. CraigGA

CraigGA Well-Known Member

It would be perfect if Home For The Holidays and Little Altar Boy was moved to Side 2, and switched the Nutcracker Suite with O Holy Night, I would feel confident choosing Side 2! It’s what I listen to the most from this collection. But since Side 2 has more of Karen it’s Side 2 for me. Thankfully, we have CD’s to replace the old days of choosing sides. If there was ever a version outside of Perry Como’s Home For The Holidays it would be this one. It’s a song mastered for Karen’s voice and it would have been great to have them singing at least one verse together. Of all the other people who sing this song, it is captured best here.

4. I picked Side Two. It takes too long to get to any Karen on Side One.

CraigGA likes this.
  5. Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Side 2. Only because it has the meat of Karen's leads. Honorable mention Side 1.

6. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

Side 2 for me, purely because it’s mostly made up of Karen and there are some gems on there. There’s hardly anything of her on side 1, as lovely as it is.

7. Side one for me! Brilliant building of anticipation with Old Fashioned Christmas leading into O' Holy Night and then into Karen's premier vocal on Home for the Holidays. Eight minutes of pure genius! Then of course, side 1 concludes with Little Alter Boy. Fantastic!

Jeff likes this.
  8. Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Karen Carpenter coupled with Christmas torch is seasons magic.

9. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

Side Two- between DYHWIH and WAYDNYE, wow, just wow!

10. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Well-Known Member

FL
    Side 1 for me, waiting for the entrance of Karen is hard but worth the wait. The song that tips the scales for me is the title track An Old Fashioned Christmas. I really love Richard's vocals here and the meaning of the song.

11. Home for the Holidays and Little Alter Boy tipped the scale for me to choose Side 1, although it is very hard waiting on Karen's voice to shine through the instrumentals!

12. Carpe diem

Carpe diem Well-Known Member

Side 2 for me, although my favorite song on the album, Little Altar Boy, is on side 1. As lovely as the instrumentals are, there's just not enough Karen on side 1.

13. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Well-Known Member

FL
    I've been back into my LP's ever since the Carpenters Vinyl Collection came out, although my experience wasn't good, at least it's brought me back to all my original Lp's and I've been playing them once again.

Something I wanted to share...I've had the original An Old Fashioned Christmas LP I got when it was released back in 84', it's in great condition however it's been with me forever even when I didn't have a great turntable when I was young and it's got a skip on 1 track that is there to stay. So about 4 or 5 yrs ago I decided to find another copy that was sealed. I ended up buying it off e bay and it was my fault for not asking questions before the purchase.

So what I got was a Columbia Record Club issue, there is no bar code on the back cover and on the bottom right corner next to the A&M label are the initials CRC. So while both have the same catalog SP 3270, when comparing the sound between the 2...they are not the same. The CRC has a more muddy sound and the highs are not quite as present.

I've posted 2 waveforms, both were recorded at the same volume input and while they look very similar, they don't sound the same. The original pressing LP has more highs especially present in the sounds of the bells during different portions and the vocals are much brighter and clearer, Karen's vocal is crystal clear. For instance some of the bells sounds like around 45-47 seconds into the song are so crisp and clear but not the same on the CRC version. The CRC sounds like the vocals and instruments are more muddied.

Each Christmas I keep saying I'm going to rip my LP of this album for my iPhone because I've never been real happy with the remastered classics version from the Japan box set. This led me today to rip, Do You Hear What I Hear from my original LP and from the CRC LP to compare them.

This is the CRC LP Waveform of Do You Hear What I Hear
    [​IMG]

This is the Original LP Waveform of the same title
    [​IMG]

14. I wave the white flag on this. Both sides are equally favorites. When I first bought this on vinyl, I never listened
    to one side more than the other. Now that I have the CD version, I play it straight through. No track skipping.

Danny