1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

Album Sides THE ALBUM SIDES [Poll]: "PASSAGE" (SP-4703)

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Chris May, Jun 10, 2017.

Which side is your favorite?

1. Side 1

28 vote(s)
    84.8%
  2. Side 2

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  1. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Well-Known Member

FL
    another interesting info about Passage in the newsletters...

NEWSLETTER #56 - November, 1977

Good news for most foreign members. A terrific short length promotion film was made to promote Karen and Richard's new single 'Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft'. It will be shown in theaters world-wide (except the United States.) Karen, in a lovely green satin jump suit, sings the entire song to Richard's accompaniment. If, like me, you enjoy watching his hands as he plays, you'll be pleased with the close-up shots of his hands on the keyboard. Background setting is, of course, outer space with a galaxy of stars, planets and space-ships. The disc-jockey in the radio station at the opening of the film, is group member Tony Peluso (as on 'Passage') who mimicks the 5O's DJs so well. Tony is also featured as a d.j. on previous Carpenters albums.

2. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

The footage has never surfaced, at least not on YouTube.

3. Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

That spectacular Argentina production possibly on film? Such an experience needs sharing.

4. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

FL
    So it's been a long time since I watched the tv special.
    Here are 2 different versions. 7 mins

Then this is the music video (possibly the short length film?) 5 mins

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  5. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

FL
    I just quickly viewed the tv special on you tube and I guess I had forgot that Karen wore white on the tv special Space Encounters for this song and the DJ (Tony) was not played on the tv special version. So I'm betting that this 5 min version above alternate version 2 might be this promo film used in theaters.

6. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

FL
    The videos I posted above...que them up at the exact same time when Tony is talking and you can watch them both to see just how different they really are....

7. I think the top one (7 minutes) is the actual "video." The bottom one (5 minutes) is from the Space Encounter TV Special. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

8. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

The top one (7 minutes) is a fan-made video, which combines the official promo film with clips from the TV special. The second one (5 minutes) is from Space Encounters (with the DJ bit from the official film added at the beginning). The official promo film is the one on the "Gold" DVD, and is the one that I saw in the theater.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  9. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Active Member

Yeah the top one is fan made, especially since both films were shot in 4:3 (which is why the top one also looks weird, someone has stretched it to 16:9). The bottom one is from the TV special, which is also available on the Interpretations DVD, with the DJ added. Also both have been upscaled to 1080p.

10. If you ever run across a YouTube video that someone uploaded in stretched mode, copy the URL and paste it in:

StretchSite - Fix YouTube Aspect Ratio

Once there, you can pick the option to squish the 16:9 picture back to 4:3, or if the reverse is true and someone uploaded a widescreen video in 4:3, you can undo that as well.

Works great!

Here's that top video unstretched:

StretchSite - Fix YouTube Aspect Ratio

There are also sliders if the aspect ratio is still wrong.

ullalume and newvillefan like this.
  11. song4u

song4u Well-Known Member

The first one, Karen in green, is the one shown before movies in the theater that I had seen (US).

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    Carpe diem likes this.
  12. Well there's TWO SIDES....... i choose side TEW, remove Man Smart, Woman Smarter and replace it with Your the one (i do this on all my passage folders).

Jamesj75 likes this.
  13. Carpe diem

Carpe diem Well-Known Member

So they actually show music videos before the movie? What a great idea! Is this done a lot? Instead of seeing "coming attractions" and all the advertisements, how great would it be to see music videos on the big screen before the movie! I don't know, am I late to the party here?, the theater I occasionally go to does not do this...

14. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

"Calling Occupants" was the only time I ever saw a music video played in a theater - first they showed the standard "coming attractions", then they played the "Occupants" video, right before those immortal words "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away..." scrolled up the screen. It was ingenious promotion on the part of A&M (in Canada, don't know about elsewhere), showing that video to a theater full of sci-fi fans. It's a shame that they couldn't always have promoted the Carpenters with such imagination.

goodjeans and Jamesj75 like this.
  15. Brian

Brian Active Member

[​IMG] Carpenters Passage was Number 11 Here's a link to a pic I just took of the South Australian Top 20 albums chart from 26th of January, 1978, showing 'Passage' at Number 18, down from Number 11 the week before. 'Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft' was spending its first week at Number 5 on the same chart / date.

16. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

Were "You're the One" and "Sailing on the Tide" the only two extra songs cut for the Passage album but never added?

17. Sadly, this one is a toss up. Each side has its merits, but the overly long Argentina and Occupants cause each side to lose points. My ideal "side" would be the first two tracks on each side!