1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. The new Herb Alpert remasters are now available for download from Amazon and iTunes, and high-res versions are available from Acoustic Sounds and HDTracks. Some of these albums are seeing their first-ever release digitally. Check them out today!

The CD Reissues are Wonderful.

Discussion in 'The Beat of The Brass: Herb Alpert/Tijuana Brass' started by Bobberman, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    I didn't pay too much attention to the Shout version of S.R.O. when it first came out, but upon listening to it more closely on my system earlier this year, it struck me how dull and lifeless it sounded. Granted even then it suffered from some tape degradation, but it almost feels as though they were trying to cover up some of it. This new S.R.O. is back to being closer to the LP version, noticeably brighter than the Shout version (as it should be). Yes, there is still a tape issue with "Our Day Will Come" but that's unavoidable--the tapes are around 50 years old at this point, and that type of damage just can't be undone. They just made do as best they could.

I guess I'm OK with any CD hub that will keep the disc in place while it is in storage. I remember a couple of times early in the CD era, I had ordered some import discs years before they came out in the US, and found that a couple had come loose from the hubs (partly from brittle plastic on the tines). The worst offenders were the "fat boy" 2-CD cases. Thankfully the discs played OK, but it's a bit disheartening to see a brand new disc scratched up. For some of those, I ended up buying replacement cases with much stronger hubs.

The soft innersleeves that MFSL is using for their SACDs in recent years are really nice. Like the LPs, they also include a "stiffener" insert around the disc, inside of the mini LP jacket.

I've seen some really lousy packaging as well...

Ronnie Madrid likes this.
  2. Thank you, Rudy, for both replies above! The ABSOLUTE WORST cd packaging I have EVER seen is the updated packaging used for the Elvis Presley: Complete 50's (& 60's & 70's) Masters 5-CD box sets. When those box sets first came out in the early 90's, regular jewel cases were used. A few years ago those boxes were updated with a cd storage system that abandoned the jewel cases and utilized some bizarre plastic storage system that was literally impossible to use without either breaking some of the plastic tines, or scratching the CDs, or - more than likely - both. I have a rather low opinion of a substantial percentage of package engineers in most industries because it seems to me that many of those engineers must not be end users of their own products. If they actually tried to use the packaging that they themselves designed, I would think they would understand that a career change would be a great idea. Anyway, bringing this discussion back to the topic at hand, I like the card sleeves being utilized now for the HAP series. It's very simple, dependable, and elegant IMHO!

So far, my HAP purchases have included TLB, Volume 2, WC&OD, Warm (which I have LOVED since its 1969 release - SO happy to have this new HAP version of Warm on cd) through Coney Island, Beyond, and Magic Man. Again, it is my intention to purchase the complete series as disposable income allows. I have the Shout! versions of Rise and Fandango and like those a lot, especially Fandango. I'm wondering if the HAP versions of Rise and Fandango also benefit from the "warmer" sound that seems to be the prevailing opinion in regards to the older TJB titles.

3. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    I haven't yet directly compared Fandango or Rise in the Shout vs. HAP versions. I suspect the differences would be minor.

Yes, definitely, there are some real packaging issues. One thing that has bugged me in recent years are the SACD cases--they look nice with the rounded corners, but on some of them, the "ears" for the hinge are broken off way too easily. Since the printed inserts are cut to fit, they don't fit the other style of SACD case (nearly identical, but those "ears" are wider and more secure). In some of those cases, too, the hub has a death grip on the disc, and I'm afraid to pull on those discs with a lot of force. I have two discs that are cracking--that was a known issue with discs from one of the production plants back then (Crest). So on those, I have to be careful.

Some box sets are horribly designed, especially DVD box sets. I don't own many, but had one that was so difficult to remove the discs from that I ripped the discs to the computer and burned DVD-Rs, playing those and keeping the originals stored with the set.

Some vinyl I buy comes in printed paperboard innersleeves rather than plastic or "rice paper" sleeves, and those are nearly impossible to get the vinyl out of without touching it. (I end up replacing the sleeves on those.) It's like you said earlier--do any of these designers ever think to try their own packaging??

Bobberman and Ronnie Madrid like this.
  4. Thank you, Rudy! I appreciate your comments!

5. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    No problem!

I can give the files a spin tomorrow, as I am just getting the Vandersteens dialed in to the room and moving things around a little. That should help me hear the differences between them, but I suspect they'll be minor.

Ronnie Madrid likes this.
  6. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    When we were growing up, unfortunately our schoolmates were all listening to what would now be called "classic rock." (In the smaller group I hung with, it was more about funk/soul/R&B.) Still, we would never admit publicly we listened to our parents' music!

With the younger kids today listening to music (and especially vinyl), they all come at it with the notion that it is "vintage," and vintage is good. They don't get that negative stigma about certain types of music like we would back in our school days.

I found it interesting last year when I was at a local vinyl store. Some 20-somethings were in the store, and one girl among them was asking the owner all sorts of detailed questions, and I'm talking about differences between different releases or pressings of particular albums. She really knew her records! And I know the owner enjoyed talking shop with someone younger like that. It's sort of like passing the torch to a younger generation that way.

Bobberman likes this.
  7. The Best Remasters I've heard yet of these! The Remastering was done by Veteran Engineer Bernie Grundman.

8. With the New CD's,Amazon includes a CD Rip Extra,without charge,to the Purchase!

Bobberman likes this.
  9. I've noticed on "The :Lonely Bull" the track "Struttin' With Maria" it runs several seconds lomger,which is way better! Also,the Remaster of "Volume 2" is way Warmer than the A&M Lp!

Bobberman and toeknee4bz like this.
  10. Digi-Paks,with the CD encased in a slot inside the Back Cover. No Booklets,unlike the SHOUT! Factory issues,however.

11. With the liners the SHOUT! Factory issues had,I'd gotten to know a lot of Behind The Scenes facts,like the model they used was 7 Months Pregnant,and the Cream they used was Shaving Cream,Not Whipped! Also,my copy came with a Poster,since it was the 40th Anniversay issue of this Iconic Album!

12. Thank You,Randy! These are the way I remember them,buying these on the Original A&M Vinyl! Everything is Eye Pleasing,and brings back precious memories of listening to these Iconic Alpert Classics! I Love these,and will aquire them all soon! We all owe you plenty for returning our Childhoods back to us,Mr. Badazz!

Bobberman likes this.
  13. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Active Member

Randy,

This post says it all. Love Herb's superb work with the TJB and solo, and have since I was little and these recordings on the early end were brand new. And your commitment and attention to superb quality are very welcome and refreshing. I own many of these if not all on original A&M vinyl LP discs, 45 RPM singles, and on open reel tapes. And yes, Herb's spirited, happy music, has brought pleasure and made me smile for so many, many years.

Bobberman and toeknee4bz like this.
  14. Amazon presently has 10 of the Herb Alpert (HAP) reissues (CDs) priced at $7.19 apiece! I just ordered Herb's Ninth and Beat Of The Brass at that price, which completes my collection of all the HAP releases thus far, in addition to my complete set of Shout! Factory releases. At any rate, THIS is the time to buy!!!!

15. Correction: Make that 13 Herb Alpert (HAP) CD reissues presently priced at $7.19 apiece on Amazon! Time to pick up those wish list items!