1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. The new Herb Alpert remasters are now available for download from Amazon and iTunes, and high-res versions are available from Acoustic Sounds and HDTracks. Some of these albums are seeing their first-ever release digitally. Check them out today!

The CD Reissues are Wonderful.

Discussion in 'The Beat of The Brass: Herb Alpert/Tijuana Brass' started by Bobberman, Sep 9, 2016.

1. They say you can't go home again, but for me, Lost Treasures was a chance to do just that.

2. So, I'd be curious, if anybody knows. I know I've seen talk that Whipped Cream and Other Delights is the best-seller among the re-releases. No shock there. How do sales of it compare to sales of Alpert's current albums? Are the current ones still being beaten by it?

3. I remember hearing "El Bimbo" on the loudspeakers way back in 75 when I was just a kid playing pinball in the Bar Playa in Rota, Spain. Of course, I had no idea what it was or who it was. And it remained that way for four decades with the song sticking in my head, not knowing what it was. You can imagine how 'DUH!" I felt when I clicked onto the you tube video of Herb's 45 and realized what it was.

4. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    I suppose a late question for Lost Treasures is in order. Why did they decide to feature songs from You Smile with new trumpet parts, as opposed to using that space to collect all of the random B-sides that have been released over the years?

My only thought there is that the studio masters were not located, and the single masters (from which the singles were cut) were supposedly stored on large reels intermixed with other A&M singles at that time, if what my sources told me is correct. Those supposed reels could have been lost or destroyed, or could be buried in Universal's vaults. Could they have used needle drops? Sure, but given how much the quality of used records has degraded over the years (especially if all a person can find is styrene), it is hard to find clean copies of these.

Bobberman likes this.
  5. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    I don't have overall sales figures handy. But based on what I've seen from Amazon sales figures in the past, new releases usually get a spike in sales the month they are released, trail off the second month, and then get only the occasional sale afterwards. Whipped Cream (and surprisingly, Definitive Hits) was one of those steady sellers straight through the entire time. And it wasn't unusual to see slightly more sales of both when new releases came out.

Bobberman likes this.
  6. Bobberman

Bobberman Well-Known Member Thread Starter

It's not surprising in a way to me for Whipped cream in its first A&M run which lasted 35 plus years still remained in print until Herb Got His Masters back and of course Definitive hits is the only Compilation album in print now these two are the ones people are buying as introductions to Herb's music I admit they could have done a much better job sound wise with Definitive hits though I compared the songs on that with the shout factory. HAP And original A&M Cds and to my ears the songs on those sound better than on definitive hits Just my opinion.

7. Mike Blakesley

Mike Blakesley Well-Known Member Moderator

Is that what it is, new trumpet parts on all the YS-TSB tracks? I thought they were just "alternate takes." The version of "Promises, Promises" sounds less-finished on Lost Treasures than it did on You Smile.

8. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    There was a lot of fuss a year or two prior to release of the Shout Factory discs, about trumpet parts being re-recorded. Thing is, nobody knew what that meant. (I recall a few panicking that the parts on the old, original TJB albums were being replaced!) I know some of the unreleased tracks need to be finished for Lost Treasures, but there were the B-sides like "Fire and Rain" that also had a new trumpet part recorded. Herb's style sounds more recent on the new parts he recorded for the You Smile tracks as well.

Bobberman likes this.
  9. I can understand finishing the trumpet parts for unfinished tracks, but why did Herb take the time to re-record trumpet parts for songs that apparently already had them?

10. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    That was long before anyone thought of reissuing nearly his entire back catalog, and You Smile probably never was anywhere near Shout Factory's radar in terms of a reissue. So, redoing a handful with improved trumpet parts certainly wasn't a bad idea. Plus it kind of fit in with all of the unreleased tracks that had new trumpet parts out of necessity.

Main thing is, the originals were untouched, and the reissues get the back catalog out, just as they were recorded originally.

Bobberman likes this.
  11. Mike Blakesley

Mike Blakesley Well-Known Member Moderator

Lost Treasures was kind of a strange animal, in that it contained a bunch of tracks from You Smile -- which was a chart album -- but it did NOT contain the two songs from that album that were singles ("Fox Hunt" and "Save the Sunlight"). And, it contained nothing from Coney Island, which was really more of a "lost treasure" than YS was. I wonder if some of the YS tracks were a ploy to get sales, considering they were sort-of well known titles.

Bobberman likes this.
  12. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    I only wonder if those were used to fill out the CD, as other tracks (like the B-sides) may not yet have been found on the reels, or lost.

Bobberman likes this.
  13. Bobberman

Bobberman Well-Known Member Thread Starter

This may be a long shot guess on my part but Maybe Randy Knows and perhaps this would be a question to ask of him. Again Just a guess on my part