The Compact Disc Collection

Sue

I've just bought this collection and wondered if anyone could tell me if the recordings are the original or will Richard have remastered this collection? I don't know much about the workings of their music, I just enjoy it!

Thanks Tom the one ive got has the Christmas Portrait yes. I'm really pleased with it though and am working my way through the albums!

Could somebody please tell me, if these CDs have HDCD encoding like the AM+ ones?
I just bought this collection today.

Last edited:
I have this one if it is the cloth case with the plastic screws. I think this is where I got Hurting Each Other with the left channel brick-walled and compressed, while the right channel has all the dynamics.

Carpenters Compact Disc Collection.jpg

My CDs arrived Yesterday very late in the evening:
Could somebody please tell me, if these CDs have HDCD encoding like the AM+ ones?
It seems that they aren't HDCDs.
I think this is where I got Hurting Each Other with the left channel brick-walled and compressed, while the right channel has all the dynamics.
@Randy M I have got the other Version, and you are right: "Hurting Each Other" is "brick-walled", but in my version on both Channels. On the left a tiny bit more but the right Channel is also pretty loud. And it has some audible background noise on Karens vocals.

Otherwise the CDs sound great. Especially Offering!

One more interesting thing: The Resource says that Piano Picker is the faster Album mix, but on my version I got the 1987 remix! It sounds exactly like the Version on "Magical Memories of the Carpenters". I don't have the fast version for for comparison.

My CDs arrived Yesterday very late in the evening:

It seems that they aren't HDCDs.

@Randy M I have got the other Version, and you are right: "Hurting Each Other" is "brick-walled", but in my version on both Channels. On the left a tiny bit more but the right Channel is also pretty loud. And it has some audible background noise on Karens vocals.

Otherwise the CDs sound great. Especially Offering!

One more interesting thing: The Resource says that Piano Picker is the faster Album mix, but on my version I got the 1987 remix! It sounds exactly like the Version on "Magical Memories of the Carpenters". I don't have the fast version for for comparison.
I've got several Carpenter CDs. One of them has Karen singing in the left channel of Hurting Each Other. She sings on the right channel, too, but sounds like she is only in the left channel.

I've got several Carpenter CDs. One of them has Karen singing in the left channel of Hurting Each Other. She sings on the right channel, too, but sounds like she is only in the left channel.
That is strange. Most likely some kind of mixing error.

The version of A SONG FOR YOU in this COMPACT DISC COLLECTION,

carpenters-compact-disc-collection-jpg.9767

...is an exact digital clone of the MFSL version of A SONG FOR YOU. On that album (CD), the stereo balance "Hurting Each Other" is lightly tilted to the left. Don't know why - probably a mastering choice or more likely an error. Turning your balance to the right will mostly correct it.

On that album (CD), the stereo balance "Hurting Each Other" is lightly tilted to the left.
This is the same in my version, (This one: https://www.discogs.com/release/7530527-Carpenters-The-Compact-Disc-Collection) but I can also hear strange background noises (hissing and crackling) in Karens Lead vocal. They aren't present on my "Remastered Classics" version. Is it possible that these CDs (I mean the two versions of the Compact Disc Collection) are mastered differently? This could explain why I have the 1987 remix of Piano Picker on my version.

I'm pretty sure that the COMPACT DISC COLLECTION versions are likely all the same. I suppose it's possible that the larger-format version would be different, but the smaller booklet sets, in a limited number, would pretty much have to be all the same.

Back
Top Bottom