The Corrs: New album "Jupiter Calling"

Murray

The Corrs are releasing a new album, titled "Jupiter Calling", on November 10, 2017. No word yet if it will be released in North America.

The lead-off single, "Son of Solomon" was released yesterday (Sept 21). The video was personally shot and edited by Andrea:

You beat me to it. I had just discovered that today and listened to the song twice. The opening guitar sounds exactly like Simon & Garfunkel's "Scarborough Fair".

The Corrs were never terribly popular in the US. There's a smallish, devoted fan group but that's as far as it goes. Their only "chart hit" was "Breathless" back in 2001-2002, which only climbed to #34 on Billboard's main pop chart. Other than that, they had a low-ranking chart entry in 1995 with "Runaway" at #68.

They topped the charts all over the world, but not the US.

I still hear "Breathless" when I'm out and about--I'll hear it piping over the sound system in a store or restaurant every so often. Despite its #34 showing, it seems many listeners still recognize it, even if they don't know who is singing it.

I bet if that track had been released back in the 80s or even the early 90s, it would have made a better chart appearance.

Believe it or not, I hear other Corrs songs on music systems in stores and restaurants. Some of those were worldwide monster hits but did nothing in the US. Still, I guess programmers find them acceptable for those types of systems.

Wow, another album? This is a surprise to me but then again I haven't been following them on the net. I just searched and found that Amazon UK has the pre-order for both the CD and the vinyl. The vinyl coming in at about $27.00 US and the CD a lot less at $13.50 and both appear to have 13 tracks.

The vinyl is a double LP set so I guess that warrants the higher price. If prices are anything indication, I'd say vinyl is back in business.

I wonder why White Light was never pressed to vinyl but this ones gets a release? So which are people ordering, CD or vinyl?

Oh and I'm not a fan of this single Son of Solomon. I hope it's not an indication of the entire album feel? I don't see how radio is going to play this track.

I've listened to "Son Of Solomon" a few times and it's grown on me. In many respects, it reminds me of some of the older, more Irish sounds of the earlier albums.

As for pre-orders, I've placed mine for the CD. The Corrs are members of the digital age and I have their entire output on CD, save for a 7" jukebox single. These days, just because they put out an LP, it doesn't mean that it's been sourced from analog. They might just be putting the digital masters onto vinyl - you just don't know unless it's specified upfront or in the album credits.

I rather like "Son of Solomon", as it's got that Irish sound that attracted me to the Corrs music in the first place. In Canada, which used to get all the Corrs physical releases, "White Light" was only released digitally. "Jupiter Calling" is already on iTunes Canada for pre-order, but I doubt that we'll get this on CD either. Amazon UK, here I come again...

I'm definitely going to go for the CD over the vinyl. Like Harry, I have all their other albums on CD, and I want to put this new one on the shelf with the others. I'd love to also have the vinyl as a collectible, but it costs twice as much as the CD, and I'd likely never play it anyway (I've gotten far too lazy to have to get up repeatedly, to flip and clean all those sides! :laugh:).

I saw one of The Corrs supporting America, (you know, 'A Horse With No Name'), last year or the year before. I can't remember which Corr it was, now. When they introduced her, I didn't catch her name. Then, a little while into the set, part way through a tune, I semi-recognised the song and realised which group she was from.
PS- I just looked it up. It was Sharon Corr and it was already two years ago - 2015.

Last edited:
Both Andrea Corr and Sharon Corr did a few solo albums and tours while the family was apart rearing children.

The Corrs were a huge act in Australia. I got to see them perform in both Sydney and Melbourne in late 2001 and the crowds in big arenas were huge. They played to crowds in the thousands there, while in the few concerts they've done in the States, they played for hundreds.

The Corrs were a huge act in Australia. I got to see them perform in both Sydney and Melbourne in late 2001 and the crowds in big arenas were huge. They played to crowds in the thousands there, while in the few concerts they've done in the States, they played for hundreds.
Yes, you are right, Harry. They were huge.

I think with all of the Corrs raising families their recording and touring will be revolving around their family lives now. I'm interested to hear the new album. I like the cover picture. I think it reflects their personalities.

I've heard Summer Sunshine and Breathless played in a grocery store here in Arizona.

Anyone here going to London to see their show in October at the Royal Albert? If so, be sure to share.

I actually really like White Light, except for a few tracks with certain lyrics and a certain video that promotes some religious connotations that I just don't agree with personally...however if this had been available on vinyl I would have purchased it. That's why I was kinda surprised that Jupiter Calling is being released on vinyl.

Today, The Corrs have released what they now say is the lead-off single from the new album. It's a song called "SOS":

I thought that "Son Of Solomon" was the first single, considering that they released a video for it, and had it available on iTunes last week. Was it meant to be the single, and they changed their minds for some reason?

Last edited:
I may be having seconds thoughts about the new album Jupiter Calling....I may hold off till I can hear other tracks online. So far it sounds like an "issues" album. I know issues are important but I use music to escape from all the "issues" if just for a moment in my "24 Hours". On a up note, I really have warmed up to and really love listening to Ten Feet High and Lifelines gets so much play...makes me happy go lucky!!

Don't know how true it is, but I read that "SOS" was the issues song on the album, and perhaps the only one.

Anyone here at their Royal Albert Hall show yesterday? Fan videos are going up on YouTube.

Sometime during our recent trip, JUPITER CALLING arrived. So far I've managed to rip in onto my computer, but a detailed listening session will have to wait. I wish they'd release these albums away from the Christmas rush.

Has anyone listened to this album, I'm trying to decide if I should spring for the CD. How does it compare to White Light, are there any up tempo tracks The Corrs are known for? I've not listened to any samples. Is it worth adding to your collection?

As with WHITE LIGHT, the new album hasn't had any detailed listening time from me. With my limited experience so far, I can say that what I've heard sounds like The Corrs.

Has anyone listened to this album, I'm trying to decide if I should spring for the CD. How does it compare to White Light, are there any up tempo tracks The Corrs are known for? I've not listened to any samples. Is it worth adding to your collection?
I've been listening to the album on Spotify, and I will get around to buying the CD eventually. The album is definitely growing on me. My favorite track so far is "Butter Flutter", an uptempo track that sounds like the Corrs of old...

They sure make it hard to purchase downloads. I listened to clips of the entire album and I only like 2 songs, Butter Flutter and SOS, the rest don't sound like the Corrs I fell in love with. So I tried to purchase just those 2 songs and the album is not on iTunes US and Amazon US doesn't have this album on digital downloads. I found that Amazon UK does have mp3's of the album but when I try to purchase it says I need an address in the UK. argh...I can't even buy 2 songs. Oh well...maybe someday it will come later so I can purchase those songs. Thanks for the info guys.

Back
Top Bottom