The Essential Collection: Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAZZ4JEFF

I just received my copy of "The Essential collection". It lives up to all the advance. There really is not much new. The CD's have the same layout as "From the top". Most of Richard's song-by-song comments are identical. (However, he does lament over "The Karen Carpenter Story" on the liner note for "Karen's theme". They are quite interesting)

No special re-mixes here. They even included the re-recording of "Santa Clause is coming to town" and not the original). We heard this was just a re-tinkering of the box set, and that's all it is. I do appreciate the extensive track-by-track listings that tell when the song was re-mixed, and if any re-recording was done. No new pictures that we've never seen before.

I'd love to hear from the re-mix experts if there are any hidden gems on the 4-disc set. On first listen, I did not hear any thing new.

I guess 2002 is just a disappointing year for Carpenter fans. A DVD is released that's just the 18 year old video "Yesterday once more". Richard delays his new Christmas album, and now a box set with nothing really exciting.

Jeff

I've not delved extensively into all of the set yet, but having skimmed through it, I'm quite taken with the fact that so many of the "hits" appear in their original mixes, but sound more modern. It's as if Richard has taken the original mixes and beefed them up a bit.

Harry
...with the new box set, online...

BTW, the "official" web page at Universal is:
http://www.universalchronicles.com/browse_artist.asp?artistid=2388

Well, it's finally here..."The Essential Collection"...essentially I have all of these 'essentials' on" From The Top" and various other re-issues. However, it is a nice package, tastefully done and should be pleasing to the novice listener or the completist. Thankfully, I have "As Time Goes By" and it satisfies my craving for the new and unusual selection that the new box-set seems to elude. I guess it's back to hoping for more in the future...

Jeff

I bought my copy today and after listening to the entire set(I was off today!) it sounds great. One thing that is so so minor I wasn't even going to mention it. I noticed a very very slight pop in the audio on "Karens Theme" at 48-49 seconds only on the left channel. Again it's so slight and unless you're listening to the disc in dead silence or cranked up on headphones you won't even hear it. Just wanted to see if anyone else here could verify it's on their CD as well so I don't have to return it only to get another just like it. Great set and I'm impressed that Richard used so many album mixes.

Scott B

scottb said:
One thing that is so so minor I wasn't even going to mention it. I noticed a very very slight pop in the audio on "Karens Theme" at 48-49 seconds only on the left channel. Again it's so slight and unless you're listening to the disc in dead silence or cranked up on headphones you won't even hear it. Just wanted to see if anyone else here could verify it's on their CD as well so I don't have to return it only to get another just like it.

I hear a slight dropout on the left channel at the 49 second mark. It is slight -- and it's also on the PACC album.

Harry
NP: Aserejé - The Ketchup Song - Las Ketchup (Don't ask!)

I'm rather pleased with the box set. It's a good updating to the old FROM THE TOP set, adding in all of the hits -- and I'm happy that Richard seems to be coming to terms with the original mixes. In this set, particularly early on, the original album mixers were used for the big hits -- "Close To You", "We've Only Just Begun", "For All We Know", "Superstar." I played the heck out of those records when they were new, so those mixes are definitive for me. It's interesting to hear those mixes in juxtaposition to the newer remixes of songs like "Love Is Surrender" and "Maybe It's You", segued together again (as on the recent 20th Century Masters disc).

With more of an emphasis on the hits, and less on the rarities and outtakes, the set becomes suddenly more listenable -- until the inevitable Christmas song comes along. Of course if you looked in the shopping malls, I guess it's no longer too early to be humming along to "White Christmas". :confused:

For those who've not yet had a chance to see the package, it's a four-disc-in-a-double-thick jewel box package house in a heavy cardboard slipcase along with the thick booklet. If you've seen the ANTHOLOGY set from Japan, it's quite similar in packaging, except the outer cardboard is thicker. Quite a change from the oversized 12x12 FROM THE TOP that I have.

Harry
...off to work, online...

Overall, yes, I'm happy with it.

I have to agree with Harry about the set. The sound quality is great and even the original non remixed tracks sound better than they do on the individual remastered albums. I almost did a double take when I listened to "Close To You" and a few of the other early hits in their original mixes. They sound fuller and just more powerful than before.

All in all I'm very happy with the set and I think it's an excellent representation of the Carpenters from start to finish. My only gripe(I'm allowed one!) is that "Look To Your Dreams" should have been on the set.

Scott B

One thing that would have made me happier is if the two "garage" tracks ('California Dreamin'' and 'Nowhere Man') from AS TIME GOES BY had been included on the box set with the other early tracks. That way they could have all been together in one place, making disc one a real favorite. But that's my only gripe. It sounds really good.

Harry
...trying to finish up at work, online...

THE ESSENTIAL COLLECTION is a good overview of karen & richard's work.It is good to finally have the KAREN/ELLA MEDLEY on CD.Karen is right in her element singin' and swingin' the standards with Ella.It's unfortunate that karen didn't record full renditions of MY FUNNY VALENTINE,SOMEONE TO WATCH OVER ME and AS TIME GOES BY.We could have done without "sweet sweet smile","theres a kind of hush" and "calling occupant".And,I agree with Scott B.-LOOK TO YOUR DREAMS should have been included.In fact,all of karen's work with (arranger)Peter Knight would be considered "essential" and would have been appropriate for the boxed set.(this would include ARGENTINA,LOOK TO YOUR DREAMS,I JUST FALL IN LOVE AGAIN,WHEN I FALL IN LOVE,WHAT ARE YOU DOING NEW YEARS EVE,SOMEBODYS BEEN LYIN).Also,the studio version of FROM THIS MOMENT ON(1980) should have been included,instead of the live version(1976)-its far superior!

I feel that From This Moment On is better live because it gives a new listener the pleasure of hearing Karen's voice live at its best. Vocally, it shows the essence of all of her best qualities, unlike the polished studio version. I always play the live version when I demonstrate to others the versitility of the Carpenters musical style and performance to friends.

I have not bought this new version. Do the original track recordings sound as good in Dobly Surround as the remasters?

Craig

I'm pretty impressed with THE ESSENTIAL COLLECTION. It sounds VERY good, and I like the song selection, for the most part.

A few changes I would have preferred:

1) More early stuff! I would have liked another Spectrum or Summerchimes track, and perhaps the original demo versions of "California Dreamin'" and "Nowhere Man"

2) "Goodnight" should not have been left off. It's one of my favorite pre-A&M tracks. I would also have liked to have the other two CSULB Choir album tracks included ("And When I Die" and "Crescent Noon")

3) Leave out Tony Peluso's between-song chatter and just present the oldies individually (like on the Reader's Digest set, but including ALL the songs). The radio-DJ thing gets old after the 1000th listening. Perhaps toss in the live version of "Leader of the Pack" from LIVE IN JAPAN, since LIVE IN JAPAN is the only Carpenters' album not represented on this set at all.

4) The original single version of "Santa Claus is Comin' To Town" would have been a nice addition to this set.

5) A few more tracks from AS TIME GOES BY would have been nice -- "Without a Song," "Leave Yesterday Behind" and "Rainbow Connection" would be obvious choices (they are at least as essential in the Carpenters' catalog as "Sweet Sweet Smile" and "I Believe You," to name a few)

6) A little more live material. American audiences haven't had much exposure to live recordings of the Carpenters, and Karen was such a flawless live performer that a few live recordings would have been nice to hear (especially if they were previously unreleased!).

But like I said, I'm very happy with the set overall. It's been playing nonstop ever since it arrived!

David

P.S. Probably not the most popular opinion, but I miss the remix of "Let Me Be the One" !!

I finally purchased "Essential Collection" on Friday 11/1. my reaction is somewhat disappointed, yet I'm happy to own it.
I would have atleast liked to hear some newer or different remixes of the songs. Of course what we all want is more unreleased songs. There must be left over songs form each album beginning with "Offering" on to "Made In America". My guess is there are even more songs than what we've already heard about from Yuko's list of buried treasures.

Hate To Admit It Dept. -- All I'm holding is the first Carpenters collection on CD from 1985, 'Yesterday Once More', pressed in Japan for A&M (cause there weren't yet enough mfg. plants stateside). Even though it's got the 'AM+' Audio Masters Plus logo, how do these 27 tracks compare in audio quality to the subsequent sets under discussion?

It will be a loooong reply! :wink: It seems that most of the compilations contain remixes--one of our "original/remix" experts could probably fill you in there. Even the original Carpenters album CDs contained some remixes, but the most recent reissued albums don't.

Sad thing is, Harry and I were working on a big discography project, but I've been a bit sidelined with some serious matters here at home and haven't had time to finish up my last bit of work on it. But we are close on it, and it will certainly help clear up a lot of the confusion about different remixes!

-= N =-
...needing a clone, offline...

snapcrotch said:
Hate To Admit It Dept. -- All I'm holding is the first Carpenters collection on CD from 1985, 'Yesterday Once More', pressed in Japan for A&M (cause there weren't yet enough mfg. plants stateside). Even though it's got the 'AM+' Audio Masters Plus logo, how do these 27 tracks compare in audio quality to the subsequent sets under discussion?

As for sonic quality, I never had any problems with YESTERDAY ONCE MORE back in 1985. I suppose if one were to really be critical of the sound, one could find problems with the set since it hails from the early years of CD manufacturing and mastering. In that regard, the latest box set would probably beat the old set, but only to the most critical of ears. For all intents and purposes, any Carpenters CD that was genuinely issued by A&M and its worldwide affiliates is pretty much as good as another -- it's the remixes that get a lot of discussion.

The 1985 YESTERDAY ONCE MORE features these as remixes:

Yesterday Once More
Superstar
Rainy Days & Mondays
Ticket To Ride
Goodbye To Love
Bless The Beasts & Children
Top Of The World
We've Only Just Begun

All of the rest are original album mixes.

Harry
...letting dinner settle, online...

I think, there were two more remixes on YESTERDAY ONCE MORE, Harry:

THERE'S A KIND OF HUSH, with the prolonged ending and the sax solo;

I NEED TO BE IN LOVE, with stronger choral parts and stronger piano.

By the way, YOM was not only the first Carpenters CD I ever bought, it was THE first CD I ever bought in my life, back in 1986, and this CD was the reason for my conversion from Vinyl LPs to CD.

Any CD released before 1996 does not have enhancements for Dolby surround. The simulation effects work with some other labels.

The original remasters fix this.

Craig

Bruno said:
I think, there were two more remixes on YESTERDAY ONCE MORE, Harry:

THERE'S A KIND OF HUSH, with the prolonged ending and the sax solo;

True enough, the mix of "A Kind Of Hush" on YESTERDAY ONCE MORE is a bit different, and I suppose it could be called a remix -- it's got moving castanets! On the album version, the castanets remain stationary just to the left of center, but in the YOM mix, the castanets start out there, but move to the far right channel for two of the verses.

Bruno said:
I NEED TO BE IN LOVE, with stronger choral parts and stronger piano.

The original YOM mix was missing the piano intro to this song, and like "Hush" is mixed a little brighter than its album counterpart. In fact that's a generalization tht could be applied to all of the YESTERDAY ONCE MORE mixes -- as one of the earlier CD mixes, the highs were perhaps a bit overemphasized giving them all a very bright sound. Some might even call it "harsh." If you compare the older YOM to the newly remastered one, you can hear that the mixes are a bit more mellow in the highs, giving a better overall sound balance.

Harry
...comparing yesterdays, online...

Rick,in response to your comment about the unreleased material,There are many outtakes in the vaults.I was able to view a copy of A&M's master catalog list(of vault material).There's about 6 albums worth of outtakes spanning 1975-1982,mostly coming from A KIND OF HUSH,PASSAGE and MADE IN AMERICA.As far as I know ,there is no leftover material from the early albums(before HORIZON).There's also several outtakes from the final session in 1982.Nothing left from the CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT session,except a couple of duets and instrumentals.For me,the most intruiging aspect of that master list were 2 familiar songs:THE LORD'S PRAYER and THE MOON IS A HARSH MISTRESS-both from 1980.(Linda Ronstadt recorded "mistress" in 1982).

There are tracks from every Album Session leftover , the only puzzle from the A&M Catalog Listing being that 1969 and 1970 outtakes are not included , this is probably an error in the Catalog or these tracks are listed elsewhere.Richard probably has these tracks in his Archive and possibly because he feels these are very dated has no intention of an official release -sadly :sad:

There are tracks from 1971 -1974 that Carpenters recorded , but Richard does not like most of them ! And When He Smiles Studio backing track was recorded , but strangely Karen did not complete a Lead Vocal in 1971 ?

Tracks from later sessions are usable , it depends on Richard's interest , determination with Record Companies and desire to release further Outtakes .....we can only recommend and keep hoping....... :o

Peter.....Ever Hopeful......

I guess I'm not as "rabid" of a Carpenters fan as some, but I have no desire to hear out-takes. After all, they were left on the cutting room floor for a reason, and if Richard didn't want them released in the first place, what's the point in putting them out ever?

I would hate to see the Carpenters treated like Elvis Presley, who has had his catalog sliced & diced so much by RCA that you probably couldn't find the "original" versions of his songs if you tried.

On the other hand, I would be interested in previously-rejected songs, because a lot of tunes got cut from albums strictly in the interest of time restrictions. The LOVELINES album contains proof that a lot of good, high-quality songs were left off of the various LPs. I would think RC could go in and create another whole LP or two of unreleased songs.

Now the above comments don't apply if the old songs were recorded in different styles or whatever. I mean, if they performed a slow version of "Please Mr. Postman" I would like to hear it!! It's just that I don't see any reason to release "Hurting Each Other, take 48" and so on.

^^I feel exactly the same way, Mike. I don't care to hear fumbled takes, mistakes, sloppy vocals or other stuff not intended for public consumption. Those BEATLES ANTHOLOGY discs are difficult to listen to for that very reason.

Now, that's not to say that if such a release DID exist that I wouldn't buy it. Surely, I would, but it probably wouldn't be at the top of my list for listening enjoyment. I really think that the best stuff is out and available. Let's enjoy what we've got.

Harry
NP: BEST FROM HERB ALPER & THE TIJUANA BRASS, DEE JAY SAMPLER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom