The Goofus Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigGA

I mentioned this last month, but I really wish someone could help Donald save his site. I think that is a great tribute to the Carpenters, and it houses trink-its that some have already wished could be included in an offical site for the Carpenters. He not only has opinions, but a tribute and an place for celebration of the music of the Carpenters. And, the site has a warm, welcome feeling.

Craig

While I appreciate all of the work that Donald has done of the Goofus site, there's quite a shady area there with posting audio files of copyrighted recordings.

Perhaps no-one wants to be involved with potential litigation from media attorneys!

Harry

Harry said:
While I appreciate all of the work that Donald has done of the Goofus site, there's quite a shady area there with posting audio files of copyrighted recordings.

Perhaps no-one wants to be involved with potential litigation from media attorneys!

Shady? :wink: It's flat-out illegal, and like any other person who operates a website, I would not want to touch those. Not to mention that hosting copyrighted files w/o permission or licensing (which costs thousands per year even for non-profit website operators) is against our web host's terms of service, as they are with *any* hosting provider. Not to mention the cost of bandwidth to deliver the files, which can be expensive. Only one of my sites has sound samples posted (1-2 minute excerpts), and in that case I'm authorized to post them, since it is an official band website.

There are plenty of sound clips I've wanted to post myself here at the Corner, but for these reasons, I don't. They're not worth the trouble.

-= N =-

I guess I need to go on record (no pun) with WHY I moved/rebuilt/closed my old site.

The location where I had my site set up online was at mac.com, it's been there for a couple of years now. They decided/announced this summer that they'd now be charging $100 per year, per account, for the same services that were FREE before, including e-mail. I simply couldn't afford to make such an investment so I decided to close, then move, to a new location (http://come.to/goofus).

As for copyright issues: no, I don't own or have permission to post anything; however, 99% of the content on my site is NOT commercially available in any country. Scott Grimes, Akiko, Veronique, RC's TIME album, have all been out of print for many years, and while that doesn't make it "right", a notification or request to remove such tracks would not only be surprising, but would also be immediately honored. Such a request was never received from any source, despite all necessary contact information for me being clearly posted on my site at all times.

These artists at the mercy of their respective record companies to get and KEEP their products out there *should* be glad people like me take the time to freely share such rarities rather than copying and selling them on eBay illegally. If any of the items posted on any of my sites ever again became commercially available, they would be removed without anyone even having to ask; for example, the videos from A VIDEO BIOGRAPHY -- that collection has now been re-issued in full DVD format in several countries, therefore those files will not be reposted on the new site. Simple as that.

My goal in sharing music is NEVER to take away from an artist's bank account or to invade anyone's intellectual property. My goal is simply sharing with other fans -- and if I can stop a few scam artists from stealing from fellow fans in the process by selling them bootlegs of stuff I can provide for free, then we're all the better for it.

Check out the new site, watch the pop-ups (sorry about that, working on getting a better host), and wear your hardhat for awhile as I continue to reload and upgrade the site.

Donald -- site owner
G2: The House Of Goofus
http://come.to/goofus

As for sound samples, I just don't trust Universal as far as I could throw them...plus, there's an ex-member of our forum who is one of those copyright whiners who would probably take any chance "they" could to burn us. (It's sickening to think there are such vengeful people out there!) And the legality, because I host other websites "for pay", means that I could lose all of my hosting if anything was found to be "infringing." My bigger issue as of late has been bandwidth: I don't think anyone would have a problem if we posted obscurities that were no longer in print (it's a legally grey area), but for me to deliver them to everyone would cost a bit.

$100/month isn't too bad for hosting...some of my fellow web developers are paying as much as $250-$600/month for dedicated servers. They're lucky (?) enough to have that kind of volume! :confused: Thing is, a company that deals mainly in hosting will give you a much better deal for your $100. In fact, you could get something decent for as little as $5.95/month for just the basics. I'm finding that most of anything "free" on the internet is disappearing, and the hosts that remain free usually (as you've noticed) present their visitors with popups or other intrusive ads. (I'm using proxy software called Proxomitron that kills those banner ads and other potentially nasty things.)

-= N =-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom