1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

AOTW The Human League CRASH (A&M SP 5129)

Discussion in 'A Small Circle of Friends: The Music Forum' started by LPJim, Apr 19, 2017.

1. LPJim

LPJim Well-Known Member Moderator Thread Starter

A1 MoneyWritten-By – Ian Burden, Jim Russell, Philip Oakey 3:54
    A2 SwangWritten-By – David Eiland 4:37
    A3 HumanWritten-By – James Harris III/Terry Lewis* 4:24
    A4 JamWritten-By – Jim Russell, Philip Oakey 4:19
    A5 Are You Ever Coming Back?Written-By – Jim Russell, Adrian Wright*, Philip Oakey 4:52
    B1 I Need Your LovingWritten-By – Danny Williams (5), David Eiland, Herman Davis, James Harris III/Terry Lewis*, Langston Richey 3:43
    B2 PartyWritten-By – Ian Burden, Jim Russell, Philip Oakey 4:29
    B3 Love On The RunWritten-By – Ian Burden, Jim Russell, Philip Oakey 3:54
    B4 The Real ThingWritten-By – Ian Burden, Jim Russell, Philip Oakey, Steve Fellows 4:19
    B5 Love Is All That MattersWritten-By – James Harris III/Terry Lewis* 6:07

Released in a gatefold sleeve.
    Entered the Billboard Top 200 on Oct. 4, 1986
    Peaked at # 24 and charted for 25 weeks
    "Human" reached # 1 as a single
    Available on CD

JB

Bobberman likes this.
  2. Bobberman

Bobberman Well-Known Member

My favorite track is "Human" for me it was one of many definitive ballads of the period and at that time there was a lot of things going on in my life and I was only 19 at the time

toeknee4bz likes this.
  3. ThaFunkyFakeTation

ThaFunkyFakeTation Ah am so steel een luv weeth yoo

"Swang" is one of the very worst things I've ever heard by anyone. It's entertainingly bad. No clue what they were thinking when they recorded this. "Human" is, of course, absolutely gorgeous.

toeknee4bz likes this.
  4. You can immediately hear the Jam & Lewis arrangement on "Human". That track could've just as easily been recorded by Janet Jackson. Human League as much as admitted so when asked about it. As they were desperate for another hit at this point in their career, they basically were just the vehicle carrying the song, but it clearly was a production team effort, a la "Diamonds" by Herb Alpert or any other Jam & Lewis restoration project. Nonetheless, its still a great tune, a great sound and [yes] a great departure for Human League. I've always liked their 1982 hit "Don't You Want Me" from DARE, and this was equally entertaining... albeit a more R&B-approach.

ThaFunkyFakeTation and Bobberman like this.
  5. Bobberman

Bobberman Well-Known Member

Jam and Lewis could do No Wrong at that time and I agree the Human League's Don't you want me was Excellent it's kind of sad that they didn't have more memorable hits other than that and Human those two are my favorite Human league songs

6. It was definitely their heyday for Flyte Time Productions.

7. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    Listen again (especially to the chorus), and then listen to KC & The Sunshine Band--they have admitted in the past that KC's sound was what they were after on that hit. :thumbsup:

toeknee4bz and Bobberman like this.
  8. Yeah, I've gotta admit... that was pretty BAD! :laugh:
    This kinda makes me think that I should start a new thread about what everybody considers to be the most entertainingly BAD records ever. As a matter of fact, I think I'll do just that. On the "For Animals Only" forum perhaps.

ThaFunkyFakeTation likes this.
  9. Murray

Murray Active Member

OK, with such an endorsement, I just had to hear this song... found it on Youtube... all I can say is, I want those 4 1/2 minutes of my life back! :laugh:

10. ThaFunkyFakeTation

ThaFunkyFakeTation Ah am so steel een luv weeth yoo

There, there. Just swang you another girl, yes siree! :)

Ed

toeknee4bz and Murray like this.