The Midnight Special

Status
Not open for further replies.

MorningOpensQuietly

To my knowledge, the Carpenters never performed on the popular late night NBC-TV series "The Midnight Special", featuring live acts of popular artists during the 1970s. I remember it as one of my favorites provided I got to stay up that late as a youth! It seems like they would have been a very likely candidate for an appearance! Any scoop or thoughts on this subject? Forgive me if this topic has been previously covered on the forum.

That's just the regular Postman video that you can see in better quality on the Gold DVD (aka Yesterday Once More Betamax, VHS, Laserdisc & DVD).

For the 'younger' generation --- back in the day, only the top-notch artists were privy to having their own 'promo' videos produced. They were a rarity in that the productions cost A LOT of $$ back then.
Luckily, we have several of the Carpenters. These were played in instances where the artist couldn't appear in person (as The Midnight Special) and foreign markets (Japan, Europe, etc) to promote albums & new releases pre-MTV, pre-iTunes.
I too, was a Midnight Special fan & wished that they could've made a personal appearance. Also, a Saturday Night Live appearance would've been great!
For years, I had mistakenly thought that I had remembered Karen briefly appearing on "Solid Gold" with Dionne Warwick --but now I'm realizing it must've been a dream:sleeping:

For the 'younger' generation --- back in the day, only the top-notch artists were privy to having their own 'promo' videos produced. They were a rarity in that the productions cost A LOT of $$ back then.
Luckily, we have several of the Carpenters. These were played in instances where the artist couldn't appear in person (as The Midnight Special) and foreign markets (Japan, Europe, etc) to promote albums & new releases pre-MTV, pre-iTunes.
I too, was a Midnight Special fan & wished that they could've made a personal appearance. Also, a Saturday Night Live appearance would've been great!
For years, I had mistakenly thought that I had remembered Karen briefly appearing on "Solid Gold" with Dionne Warwick --but now I'm realizing it must've been a dream:sleeping:
Ha-ha! The only connection the Carpenters had to "Solid Gold" that I can remember, was when a snippet of "Merry Christmas, Darling" was played as part of their special Christmas hits countdown. It was pretty bizarre seeing the infamous "Solid Gold Dancers" attempting some sort of holiday dance for about a minute! :laugh:

For years, I had mistakenly thought that I had remembered Karen briefly appearing on "Solid Gold" with Dionne Warwick --but now I'm realizing it must've been a dream

You're not mistaken or dreaming...wrong sibling though :laugh:

Last edited:
You're not mistaken or dreaming...wrong sibling though :laugh:

Its to bad that Richard wouldn't include this version on a compilation album. I guess in 84 he was doing this to promote An Old-Fashioned Christmas, however anyone hearing this and then the album would realize that this was not was on TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom