The Now Spinning/Recent Purchases Thread

Spinning this one next. Does anything look familiar in this picture?

graduate_acting_my_age.jpg

All 3 Oingo Boingo A&M albums (first time in a long time) and my five Baja CDs (the three in that special products releas, fromTimeless Music, the Japanese Fresh Air CD and the Collectors Choice compilation)...

The guy in the front looks like Mr. Orzobal from Tears For Fears....

I gave a good listen to Jimmie Rodgers' TROUBLED TIMES today. Way back when it was our Album Of The Week, I used a CD-RW and needledropped two long tracks from the LP (Side One and Side Two), just to listen to it in the car on the way to work (probably the first and last time I listened to it). Today, years later, after reading LPJim's post about the A&M Years discs, I ripped those two tracks into the computer as WAV files and separated them out into individual tracks, manually removed some vinyl ticks, and wrote it back out into a proper CD-R, gave it some artwork, and listened to it properly. It's really a pleasant listen, and a very heartfelt album.

Harry

The guy in the front looks like Mr. Orzabal from Tears For Fears....
Yep...Roland Orzabal and immediately to his left is Curt Smith. :thumbsup: They left Graduate since they didn't like being in a band and having little or no input. They set out into TFF and haven't looked back since. This was Graduate's only album--power pop with a bit of a new-wave hint to it. You can hear Roland's voice cutting through every so often, but while it's decent, it's nothing remarkable. A few catchy tunes though. I think "Elvis Should Play Ska" was the single from this album, may have been a minor UK hit. (Refers to Costello, not Presley.)

I'm currently (in my vehicle) playing some Jack Benny Programs. Radio Spirits has a couple of really nice collections out: Jack Benny: Neighbors and Jack Benny: Maestro. The first box has 8 hours of Jack's visits from (and to) Ronald and Benita Colman, his next-door neighbors on the show; and the other set of course is based on his musical efforts, both on the violin and as a songwriter trying to get his one and only composition published. Great, great stuff!

This weekend I listened to The Pulsars ALMOSounds disc. Highly enjoyable (enhanced by a couple Herb guest plays). Before that I listened to a Tito Puente Collection form RCA.

I started today with: A&M 25th Anniversary Classics Volume 11 Herb Alpert

Next up will be: The Ramsey Lewis Trio Never On Sunday

All the best,
Mike

I started today with: A&M 25th Anniversary Classics Volume 11 Herb Alpert

Must be one of them thar Asian varieties. In the States, Herb Alpert (solo) was Volume 20.

Harry

Yes, Harry, you're right it's the Japanese pressing of Volume 20.

I don't know why they have different numbers, the track list is the same and the cover art (other than saying 11) is the same too.

Mike

I think there were fewer entries in the Japanese series, necessitating different numbering.

Harry

Spinning @ 45RPM first...too lazy to keep lifting up the platter. :D All of these are 45RPM, and I'm about a third of the way through the list. :D

Fleshtones: Up Front EP, side 1--"Girl From Baltimore," "Cold Cold Shoes," "Feel The Heat"

Earth Wind & Fire: "Getaway" 12" extended version (rare, promo only release)

Foxy: "Get Off" 12" (extended version)

Prince: "Let's Go Crazy" 12" extended version (same full version as featured in Purple Rain)
Prince: "Little Red Corvette" remix/extended, UK import (no commercial US release)
Prince: "Irresistible Bitch" 12" non-album B-side

Brothers Johnson: "Strawberry Letter #23" b/w "Get The Funk Out Ma Face" (6-minute extended version), red vinyl 12" single

The Police: "Wrapped Around Your Finger" EP with "I Burn For You," "Someone To Talk To" and a live version of "Message In A Bottle"

Andreas Vollenweider: "Pace Verde" 12" single. Non-album track. Audiophile quality sound and dead quiet vinyl!

Genesis: "Mama" b/w "It's Gonna Get Better" 12" single
Genesis: "Keep It Dark" b/w "Naminamu" (non-album track) and "Abacab"

Frankie Goes To Hollywood: "Two Tribes (Annihilation mix)" 12"

"Let's Go Crazy"
In my DJ days, one of my favorite things was to play "Let's Go Crazy" and then near the end (just before the slow jam would start), while the solo guitar is going crazy, I would start playing "Black Cat" by Janet Jackson which has a just-drums intro. I would keep the guitar screaming over the drums and then drop the guitar out at the same time the rest of the band kicked in on "Black Cat." It was uber effective. I can still see the crowds going nuts on that one.

That's a good mix! Another variation would be to put the first beat of "Black Cat" onto that final beat of "Let's Go Crazy." You could only do it on a CD though in CD Architect, so you could overlay them perfectly at the same time.

Which "Black Cat" did you use? The "video mix" is the one that has the guest guitar solo in the middle of it (can't recall who it is, but IIRC he's from one of those "hair" or metal bands). The other remixes I didn't care for.

I made some 45 minute cassettes back in the day where I'd cross-faded a lot of dance singles similarly. One of my favorite openers for a side was a few layers deep with various "take off" sound effects, which broke into the Grandmaster Flash track "She's Fresh." :D

The spinning continues...

Angel "Sonic Series" 45RPM cut of Stravinsky's Firebird Suite

Time to lift the platter and change the speed. :D

And I continued on 33-1/3 RPM with:

Frank Sinatra: Swing Easy/Songs For Young Lovers LP (Capitol "spire" label)--in really good shape for its age.

Al Stewart: Time Passages (Crappy Arista vinyl...the only good LP version is an import, or the MoFi LP)

...and currently spinning a shaded dog!

Dog-in-shades-and-hat-300x200.jpg

No no no, not that kind of shaded dog...this kind!

1287450976.jpg

Aaaah, that's better. This is not my LP though. I'm spinning the Van Cliburn Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 1. He hath mad piano skillz. :D The pic below is the SACD version (which I still need to get):

000f5be8_medium.jpeg

Spinning
Prince: "Let's Go Crazy" 12" extended version (same full version as featured in Purple Rain)
Prince: "Little Red Corvette" remix/extended, UK import (no commercial US release)
Prince: "Irresistible Bitch" 12" non-album B-side

Saw Prince at the Forum last week. One hell of an amazing show. The encore lasted for an hour and a half!
A lot of deep and obscure stuff. Tickets were $25 for great seats. Prince knows when fans are hurting financially.

NowSpinning:
LCD Sound System - "This Is Happening"

I saw him at "The Gorge" in Washington, back in the 90s. Great show, lousy seats...and he left out a lotta hits. But I'd see him again if I had the chance.

I've heard about Prince's "residency" at the Forum. I'm surprised he doesn't make a stop here in our area, as he always had a loyal following in Detroit in his early days. On the tour for 1999, he filled Masonic Temple four nights in a row, then filled the Joe Louis Arena when he came back five months later. He also sent Yyad Ssirrom & The Mystery Band out with special guests Vanity 6 on a "teaser tour" prior to 1999 hitting the road. (Reverse the letters of that name in the Mystery Band...and you'll realize why I kicked myself for weeks, being a big follower of The Time. :D )

I heard he had originally priced the Forum shows higher, but dropped them substantially as time went on. I'd still go see him even though I haven't really gotten into his albums past Diamonds and Pearls.

BTW, if you ever get to the Bay Area, a DJ buddy of mine and his cohort put on a Prince vs. Michael gig about once a month. The next one is this coming weekend IIRC, and I think they've taken it down to L.A. in the past. Upcoming dates are listed at http://www.bombhiphop.com/PvsM.html . They cater more to the music lovers who may like to dance, and play a lot of album cuts, b-sides and rare extended versions as opposed to playing only the hits. And they feature all the related artists, so you're looking at The Time, Vanity 6/Apollonia 6, Madhouse, Sheila E., The Family and just about anyone else in addition to Prince, and ditto for the Jacksons.

On today's walk the MP3 player selected these:

Does Anybody Love You? - Renee Armand from THE RAIN BOOK
The Circle Game - Sergio Mendes & Brasil '77 from PRIMAL ROOTS
Answering Machine - Rupert Holmes from PARTNERS IN CRIME
So What's New - Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass from WHAT NOW MY LOVE
and the start of "Now" - Carpenters from VOICE OF THE HEART

Usual length walk of thirty minutes - short list thanks to 'The Circle Game".

Harry

That reminds me of when I was on the mountain bike for a lot of the summer in 2009, taking 30 mile round trips to the Metropark and back. I would usually queue up two albums to get me out to the park, and another two to get back. For some reason I was fond of biking to Al Stewart--Time Passages and Year Of The Cat. For some reason, his music just seems to work well in the mornings. His unique way of combining lyrics with storytelling and historical references is what keeps it interesting IMHO.

I have work to get done the next few days, and I've already started on my Led Zep marathon for the day. :laugh:

What a musical roller coaster from dinner onward! :laugh:

Rolling Stones Rewind compilation on CD.

Prince's Purple Rain on 180g LP.

A few tracks from Phil Collins' ...But Seriously on CD.

Lionel Richie's self-titled solo debut album on Snap Crackle Pop glorious Motown vinyl :rolleyes:

ABC's The Lexicon of Love on LP

Genesis Three Sides Live import LP with the fourth side live. :confused: The fourth side has earlier tracks like "Fountain of Salmacis" and "It/Watcher Of The Skies".

The walk this morning included a number of really slow songs in the random shuffle - three from Carpenters: "Now", "(I'm Caught Between) Goodbye And I Love You" and "Desperado". Herb's contributions were the slow-starting "The Sea Is My Soil" and a more sprightly "Bean Bag". There was also a slowish track from Italian artist Laura Pausini doing "Parlami", and a ballad track from The Poppy Family, "You Don't Know What Love Is".

Sometimes it's amazing how the shuffle mode keeps a theme or tempo all by itself.

Back
Top Bottom