Votes: 1 1.6%
  • A Walk In The Black Forest

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Zorba The Greek

Votes: 5 7.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr. Bill: I almost positive it's him -- especially given the "thank you" that Bob gets from Herb on the TV special as "Getting Sentimental" closes...

It sure sounds to me like B. Edmondson. If I can trust what I read somewhere—surely on this site—Edmondson was one of the few instrumentalists, along with J. Wechter, who was there with Herb at the creation.

Meanwhile, I'm delighted to see that someone voted "Felicia" as a favorite. Not only does it deserve that recognition; the whole album is exceptionally strong. Unless someone has voted "If I Were a Rich Man" as a fave for WNML—as I hope they will—that means that !!GP!! is the first album and only so far—I think—whose every track gets at least one vote.

I think it's a tribute to the album's high quality that every track has at least one vote! It's really that good....

:ed:

Bob Edmonson goes back to even some of Herb's pre-TJB work. Check out "Dina" by Dore Alpert. I will attest to the fact that at least 95% of the original TJB recordings featured Bob. His sound is almost as unmistakeable as Herb's. Why I'd even bet that "Bo-Bo" was a salute to Bob. BTW, I completely agree with all those who believe that GOING PLACES is the TJB's finest album. Not that WCAOD was any slouch.......

David,
anxiousley awaiting the next three........

the t.t.: I will attest to the fact that at least 95% of the original TJB recordings featured Bob. His sound is almost as unmistakeable as Herb's.

I agree.

Why I'd even bet that "Bo-Bo" was a salute to Bob.

You have already guessed what my favorite on Sounds Like . . . will be.

BTW, I completely agree with all those who believe that GOING PLACES is the TJB's finest album.

I know that others have their contenders for that cherished spot, but for me too it's !!Going Places!! I have sentimental favorite tracks on the others, but !!GP!! is, I think, the perfect marriage of songs, arrangements, concept, engineering, and performance. It may have been equaled—maybe—but I think it was never bettered.

I don't have a wealth of TJB memorabilia (at least in tangible form!), but I do have the original concert programs from the gigs I attended in '67 and '69. The one from '67 says, and I quote: "BOB EDMONDSON, trombone, is a longtime friend of Herb's and was on the very first, "Lonely Bull" recording date and on all the others since" (italics are mine).

The above quote is on Page 12 of the official 1967 concert program (which might've been used in '66 as well :confused: ) It appears in the section which introduces each of the TJB instrumentalists, along with biographical notes.

I suspect Mr. E. was on recording dates even prior to "TLB", and, perhaps assisted Mr. Alpert in live performances, as well.

In an attempt to establish the identity of "Getting Sentimental"'s trombonist, B-Dub quotes from the official '67 concert program. This, I assume, is identical to the source quoted on this site's opening page ("Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass Tour Book", 1966).

Since all of us who frequent this site do not own this tour book, and because that book would doubtless be enhanced by all the knowledge of the TJB that many of this site's members can share, I propose to the site's moderators that new threads be established for each of the band's members, to bring the rest of us fully up to speed. If this has been done in the dusky past, maybe those old threads could be dusted off for fresh comment. In any case, the reissue of the canon seems to me a perfect time for us all to become better acquainted with important yet less well-known figures like Messrs. Edmondson and Pisano.

I'll leave to others' wisdom the decision whether these threads should cover only the seven performers of the touring band (eight, counting Julius), or all the unsung yet still recoverable artists on the various recording sessions (like Hal Blaine and Carol Kaye), or all them plus the personnel of the reconstituted TJB of the early 70s. Personally, I would favor the most comprehensive approach, but one has to start somewhere.

Among other things, this is the kind of information that I wish the resissues' liner notes gave us, to the best of the participants' records and abilities to remember. Since Shout! seems unable to provide this, why don't we do it for ourselves? If this informed group can't make a dent in that history's recovery, who can?

A Happy Fourth to all—

Number 5inco said:
I propose to the site's moderators that new threads be established for each of the band's members, to bring the rest of us fully up to speed. If this has been done in the dusky past, maybe those old threads could be dusted off for fresh comment.

That's not a bad idea... I'm not sure the forum is the best place to put since it would technically be "reference" material... Maybe when Neil starts updating the TJB page we can add links to a section "The Players" where we can post bios (and other links) to all the musicians who've been a part of the TJB experience. This would include not onnly the six men from the classic brass, but the 70's TJB as well and the wrecking crew members who are known to have played on the earlier LPs (Carol Kaye, Hal Blaine, Ollie Mitchell, etc).

Neil -- I've got some ideas (& can work up some demos) for such pages... let me know (you know how to get ahold of me)...

--Mr Bill

A Walk In The Black Forest is my favorite. It's probably not
the best song on Going Places, but it's great having those
hidden gems late on an album.

According to the forum poll, Tijuana Taxi, I'm Getting Sentimental
Over You, More And More Amor, Walk, Don't Run, And The Angels
Sing, Zorba The Greek and Mae would all be great on a
“Tijuana Brass” anthology. Though Spanish Flea would probably
be included. Herb and the folks at Shout Factory should get our
opinion on a essential collection.

This album has so many classic arrangements that it is hard to pick a favorite. I am getting way more than my money's worth out of these re-issues.

My job as a software developer can get a little hard to bear, especially around 2:00 in the afternoon. So I listen to music like Walk Don't Run or The Work Song under my headphones to get back in an upbeat, productive mood.

The cover concept is almost similar to the Whipped Cream... theme; Is there any chance (That is if any of the songs should be just as "Musically-Accessible as what were found on LP 110/SP 4110) that this may be the next thing to ever get anything like ...And Other Delights Remix-Treatment?

Dave

Ed Bishop said:
To date, the real shock to me is that "Zorba" has only three votes!

That just proves the overall strength of the album, that a tour de force performance like "Zorba The Greek" can be nearly overlooked by fans.

Harry

If the family chooses to watch another syndicated re run, I‘m out of there, and enjoying another TJB re-master. Fortunately, most of these albums clock in at 30 minutes or less, so I don’t really need to cut anything. Unless I get started too late. So, if there was one song I had to skip due to time restraints it would be, And the Angels Sing. I love it, but I've heard this song alot by other stars (Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman, etc).

If you had to skip one, what would it be?

Larry said:
...If I had to skip one it would be "Zorba The Greek"...

So would I... In fact, if I burned a copy of this or something like Definitive Hits to CD, I would definitely leave Zorba... off... :shake:

Dave

Interesting that, so far, "Zorba" comes in #6 in the poll, out of twelve choices.

Not sure I understand the problem anyone might have with the track, it's a great finish, IMO, best one to end a TJB album. Cool to get silly and dance to, like the original from the movie. Always dug its slow buildup, but it's a shame the overdubs used for the edited 45 weren't employed here, they really amp up the rousing spirit of the music, so much so that one can feel let down when you compare them.

Ed Bishop said:
Interesting that, so far, "Zorba" comes in #6 in the poll, out of twelve choices.

Not sure I understand the problem anyone might have with the track, it's a great finish, IMO, best one to end a TJB album. Cool to get silly and dance to, like the original from the movie. Always dug its slow buildup, but it's a shame the overdubs used for the edited 45 weren't employed here, they really amp up the rousing spirit of the music, so much so that one can feel let down when you compare them.

It was a popular encore piece with the 70s TJB--they played it during both tours, and the crowd was always whipped up into a frenzy by it. (Well, as much as a TJB crowd could get worked up! :D )

I also don't understand the dislike for Zorba, but the one track I would skip on GOING PLACES is "Mae." But even that track is good; it's just the "least good" to me on this great album.

"Mae" used to be my least favorite (along with "Sentimental") but now the lush orchestrations and sweeping rhythm changes really "do things" for my ears. A truly lovely tune.

In general when I was younger I didn't care for the slow tunes, but with age I've mellowed toward them...

--Mr B

when I was younger I didn't care for the slow tunes, but with age I've mellowed toward them
Same here. I used to really dislike some of the slow songs from the other albums but now I like almost all of them. In fact there are probably more "fast" songs on my skip-list than slow ones!

mine is "and the angels sing." what a beautiful song that is. it typifies every thing i like about herb alpert. (taking an old standard and really reinventing it)

it starts off with that ultra cool beat and herb's casual swinging of that classic melody. by the time the strings join in on the finale, i don't know about you, but i can both hear and see those angels singing!

then we have the very last verse, which is back to herb casually blowing thru the tune one more time. while he's strolling down some ol' pictuesque country road in some sunny mexican town.

music just doesn't get any better than this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom