How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 63 78.8%

Votes: 16 20.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 1.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It used to be a rule for radio stations I worked for that the secular stuff was played heavily during the earlier part of December and then in the final week or few days leading up to Christmas, the more religious stuff got sprinkled in.

I remember hearing songs like “O Holy Night” being played on store radio stations as early as November 1. But I’m not even hearing songs like “Christmas Waltz” that are secular but contain references to the Nativity or anything religious (except Stevie Wonder’s Christmas song that has “let’s play sweet Silent Night”).

For some reason this year, whether I’m in a store or just turn on the radio, I’m not hearing the religious carols like “Silent Night” (although you hear references), but in general I’m hearing just the secular songs like the Carpenters version of “Sleigh Ride” or Mariah Carey’s “All I Want For Christmas”.

That's what happens when you take the "Christ" out of Christmas. Those songs are fun but (for me anyway) they miss the point.

I have an idea which would be good for the economy and it would get rid of all the controversy surrounding Christmas at the same time.

Here it is: We create a new holiday on the first Monday in August, called "Giving Day" (or some other more catchy name). We take all of the commercialization off of Christmas and move it to Giving Day. Then we dedicate Christmas to its basic function -- a day for commemorating the birth of Christ.

That way the stores could have all their "Black Friday" money in August, not November. Travel for families would be easier, since it's in the summer and not when school is on. And "Giving Day" would add a new holiday to a month that doesn't currently have any holidays. And best of all, it wouldn't be tied to religion in any way, so it could be a non-controversial day.

People who aren't Christian, or otherwise don't want to celebrate Christmas, could just enjoy a nice day off of work and not feel like they're missing anything or raining on anybody's parade.

I have an idea which would be good for the economy and it would get rid of all the controversy surrounding Christmas at the same time.

Here it is: We create a new holiday on the first Monday in August, called "Giving Day" (or some other more catchy name). We take all of the commercialization off of Christmas and move it to Giving Day. Then we dedicate Christmas to its basic function -- a day for commemorating the birth of Christ.

That way the stores could have all their "Black Friday" money in August, not November. Travel for families would be easier, since it's in the summer and not when school is on. And "Giving Day" would add a new holiday to a month that doesn't currently have any holidays. And best of all, it wouldn't be tied to religion in any way, so it could be a non-controversial day.

People who aren't Christian, or otherwise don't want to celebrate Christmas, could just enjoy a nice day off of work and not feel like they're missing anything or raining on anybody's parade.

Hahaha brilliant Mike! :wink:

What?!? Then what are people going to be offended by? We NEED to be offended!!

Carpenters are selling well at Amazon... :D
4 titles in the Best-Selling POP Easy Listening, Oldies, and Soft Rock lists.
Christmas Portrait
Christmas Collection
Carpenters Gold
Carpenters Utlimate Collection

I have my Christmas music on random when playing from my iPhone. I've got so many versions of the songs from Christmas Portrait but when the tracks play from my white label promo LP it's like a whole difference experience. The warmth and highs are so incredible, something I don't get from any CD versions.

I was curious actually, is the only CD version of the original album the German edition (with the missing choir on Ave Maria)? I think I've only ever seen the Special Edition.

This CD makes it's round again, this looks like the German Pressing CD 394 726-2 a rare find. I'm not sure about the sticker that says 25th Anniversary 1969-1994, mine did not come with that sticker.

Harry, I can't remember if we talked about that sticker, the seller is stating it's the German original CD, however how did a 25th anniversary sticker get on this CD? Can you confirm? I would hate for someone to bid on this and it not be the original German pressing.

Carpenters Christmas Portrait Orig Mixes German 17-Track Cd | eBay

This CD makes it's round again, this looks like the German Pressing CD 394 726-2 a rare find. I'm not sure about the sticker that says 25th Anniversary 1969-1994, mine did not come with that sticker.

Harry, I can't remember if we talked about that sticker, the seller is stating it's the German original CD, however how did a 25th anniversary sticker get on this CD? Can you confirm? I would hate for someone to bid on this and it not be the original German pressing.

Carpenters Christmas Portrait Orig Mixes German 17-Track Cd | eBay

I have that eBay listing open in another tab. :laugh:

I just found Harry's post from back in 2013 when this topic came up...it appears there are a bunch of these German Pressing CD's with the 25th Anniv sticker on them from 1994, it's apparently still the West Germany 1st Pressing CD from back in 1985 and Harry said it is still a valid original-mix pressing. You won't hear the choir on "Ave Maria".

I still don't understand how this was pressed in 1994 and in 1985. I thought the only pressing was in 1985.

Still this appears to be legit and rare to find, I hope someone here is able to grab this one.
Maybe let us know what the markings are on the CD, post a pic.
I have (2) of the 1st pressing CD's from 1985.

Last edited:
I purchased this - with that sticker - a few years ago. Ave Maria is indeed without the choir.

Although it has a reputation for being rare, the original German CD of Christmas Portrait comes up quite a lot of eBay these days and often relatively cheaply. I got a near-mint copy of it a couple of years ago for less than $10. Some sellers do confuse it with the special edition CD though, so you do have to check the tracklisting or barcode to make sure it's an original version.

It is far superior to the Special Edition (or the remixed version of the album in the Christmas Collection), so is definitely worth seeking out.

I seek the original album versions. The reverb on most remixes doesn't usually bother me, but these Christmas tracks are covered in it. I guess I've started to really enjoy their catalogue as it originally was. :D

Here you go, Rick. Sorry for the quality.
IMG_7920.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks Mark.
It's looks identical to my original German Pressing CD. Can I ask 1 more favor? Can you look at the center of the ring (might have to turn it over) do you see any writings? What are they?

One of mine says: Made In Germany By PDO, on the opposite side says: 394 726-2 03
The other one doesn't have the message Made in Germany but it does say: 394 726-2 01

For me it looks like I might have one of the 1st pressings from 85 and my other one might be the 94 issue
Both the 85 and the 94 were pressed in Germany so they should be identical masters regarding sound.

This taken from Discogs website
(1985 W. Germany 1st Pressing)
Matrix / Runout: 394 726-2 01

(Unknown Date but I'm assuming it was 1994 since the Anniv Sticker is on the front)
Matrix / Runout: 394 726-2 03
Matrix / Runout (Hub text): MADE IN GERMANY BY PMDC

Thanks Mark. This confirms it.

I hope this info helps others identify which one they might have..I actually learned something new on this as well.

I'd still like to know how this could have got re pressed in 94 when I thought Richard or A&M stopped the original pressing and forbid it being reissued again. Who has this master and why could it not have been used on an LP reissue to match this master.

This cd is not as rare as I once thought.

It would be interesting to find out if the German digital U-matic/Betamax (whatever they were using for the pressing plant) still exists or if the glass master exists, although the glass master would ultimately be CD quality. Obviously, while the analog master was needed to create the CD master, it would’ve been transferred to digital tape back in the 80’s for the CD.

Back
Top Bottom