Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 1.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The little book ,Record Collector's Magazine, June 1996,
(page 124) from Japan has a Single
#AM-P1012 with the songs:
Silent Night/Jingle Bells/Ave Maria.

Does any one possess a copy of this record?

Yeah I've got a copy of the Japanese Silent Night/Jingle Bells/Ave Maria on 45. Silent Night's the A side, while Jingle Bells/Ave Maria are both on the B side. And the artwork used is from Christmas Portrait.

Sorry if this was discussed before so consider this as a clarification if it was...
Why is there one mix of White Christmas with Karen singing 'I'm dreaming of a white Christmas' at the beginning and one with just the choir?

Why is there one mix of White Christmas with Karen singing 'I'm dreaming of a white Christmas' at the beginning and one with just the choir?

Because of remixes. In the original version from 1978, Karen's vocal on the opening "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas" was removed to allow the choral group to sing it. When Richard remixed the sing in 1990 (and again in 1992), he added Karen's vocal back in, so she's singing with the chorale. It's a case where with more Karen, the remix is probably favored, though the price is heavy reverb.

Harry

Because of remixes. In the original version from 1978, Karen's vocal on the opening "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas" was removed to allow the choral group to sing it. When Richard remixed the sing in 1990 (and again in 1992), he added Karen's vocal back in, so she's singing with the chorale. It's a case where with more Karen, the remix is probably favored, though the price is heavy reverb.

Harry
Thanks Harry, always wondered about that. I like having the originals but just find it weird that Karen's vocal showed up like that on the remix.

It's a case where with more Karen, the remix is probably favored, though the price is heavy reverb.

My biggest regret with the whole remixing of that album. Although I do think the mixes in and of themselves are a bit more contemporary. If one listens to the originals from '78, they actually are a bit dry, and less stereo on the reverbs. I guess Richard over-compensated when doing the remixing. Oh well - still some of their best stuff IMHO. :violin::santawave:

Karen , as we know " held the fort very admirably" (Fan Club Newsletter #63, January 1979)
while performing in December 1978 on Bruce Forsyth Show.
For those who have not seen the entire show, it is a delight, and Karen does (also) perform a Christmas Medley with Bruce.
The same Newsletter informs of the LA radio station K100 playing the entire Christmas Portrait album along with
Karen Carpenter's comments. (The interview is on Youtube.)

Query:
We know why (ref: Coleman) Richard Carpenter was unable to go to London to perform alongside Karen.
Do we know why he was unable to take part in the Radio interview (in Los Angeles ) alongside Karen ?

After listening to the
Christmas Song
(p 1977, arr & orch by Billy May: sleeve notes)
on my Cassette Single from 1977,
then, it's 'B-Side',
Merry Christmas Darling
(p 1974)

Three questions arise:
(1) Is my assumption that this is the same cut as appears on The Carpenters At Christmas TV Special
correct, then same is transferred unaltered to The Christmas Portrait Album in 1978 ?
(2) Why does Merry Christmas Darling have the 1974 date attached to it?
(3) This cut is the (closest to) the 1970 vocal of Merry Christmas Darling (or, is it remixed ?),
When, then, did Karen Carpenter decide to re-cut the vocals for this song ?

By the way, this Cassette Single sounded absolutely fantastic.
(Well, I had to 'dig it out' of storage to play.)

I've got the single on 45, and the 45 artwork tells people to watch the Carpenters Christmas Special on ABC on December 7.

And as far as I can tell Christmas Song is the same mix on the original LP, and on the 1987 "A Time-Life Christmas Treasury" LP, CD & cassette. And "Merry Christmas Darling" is the 1970 mix.

I was just recently listening to the Special Edition version, and it was really amazing to me how Richard was able to make the tracks from An Old-Fashioned Christmas flow into and out of the original Christmas Portrait tracks. Even to this day, when I listen to the original, it always sounds odd not going from "An Old-Fashioned Christmas" into "Christmas Waltz".

Was "The Christmas Song" the only Christmas recording done in 1977? We know that it was because of course it was released as a single that year, but was the rest of it done the following year?

Query:
We know why (ref: Coleman) Richard Carpenter was unable to go to London to perform alongside Karen.
Do we know why he was unable to take part in the Radio interview (in Los Angeles ) alongside Karen ?

To my knowledge, Richard had already begun his hiatus. He was in pretty bad shape by that point and I think was already gearing up for his next step of the journey which was only a few weeks away.

My biggest regret with the whole remixing of that album. Although I do think the mixes in and of themselves are a bit more contemporary. If one listens to the originals from '78, they actually are a bit dry, and less stereo on the reverbs.

What bothers me more is that this sounds like digital echo, which does not fit well with tracks which were recorded in analog originally. Digital echo, even those that emulate natural environments, can't match the echo you'd find like at Capitol Studios, or that underground echo chamber at a place like Gold Star. It's too clean and perfect. It gives that whole 2-CD set this glossy, synthetic sheen that IMHO is repulsive to listen to.

The original mixes were never broken. Why "fix" them? :shrug:

What bothers me more is that this sounds like digital echo, which does not fit well with tracks which were recorded in analog originally. Digital echo, even those that emulate natural environments, can't match the echo you'd find like at Capitol Studios, or that underground echo chamber at a place like Gold Star. It's too clean and perfect. It gives that whole 2-CD set this glossy, synthetic sheen that IMHO is repulsive to listen to.

The original mixes were never broken. Why "fix" them? :shrug:

Agreed. If I'm not mistaken all that stuff got remixed at Capitol so I'm not sure what Richard opted for when he did the mixes. I still listen to the original Portrait mostly when listening to this album.

Agreed. If I'm not mistaken all that stuff got remixed at Capitol so I'm not sure what Richard opted for when he did the mixes. I still listen to the original Portrait mostly when listening to this album.

That is what is puzzling--I have at least a few dozen of those old Capitol albums from the 50s and 60s, especially when they released albums in the then-new stereo format. Some of those early stereo LPs were really drenched in reverb, almost to the point of being unintelligible. Yet the reverb always had this warm quality to it, no matter how much or how little was used. The reverb on this 2-CD set sounds nothing like it. If it is Capitol's reverb, maybe it's due to digital recording, or having EQ'ed the reverb to give it that glassy quality. It just doesn't sound like Capitol's reverb, that's essentially what I'm saying. It was known for being one of the best reverb chambers in the business.

That is what is puzzling--I have at least a few dozen of those old Capitol albums from the 50s and 60s, especially when they released albums in the then-new stereo format. Some of those early stereo LPs were really drenched in reverb, almost to the point of being unintelligible. Yet the reverb always had this warm quality to it, no matter how much or how little was used. The reverb on this 2-CD set sounds nothing like it. If it is Capitol's reverb, maybe it's due to digital recording, or having EQ'ed the reverb to give it that glassy quality. It just doesn't sound like Capitol's reverb, that's essentially what I'm saying. It was known for being one of the best reverb chambers in the business.

Absolutely! I've used those echo chambers when producing there and the studios to this day are still being booked for that reason. You can't compromise the best. :)

On Amazon, Today, 27 Nov 2015,
Christmas Portrait is #1 in Traditional Pop recordings;
#4 in both Easy Listening and Soft Rock,
#256 in the Music Department.

Since '96 I've pretty much stuck to the 2 CD Christmas collection, since each album was featured in its entirety. But this year, for the first time, a couple of the re-mixed tracks on Portrait have bothered me, most significantly one of my favourites - Christmas Waltz.

I couldn't find my Special Edition so bought it again, transferred it onto my smart phone, and listened to the original mix for the first time in 19 years and was floored by her vocal.

The re-mixes don't bother me to the extent that they bother most: some bass lines, instruments etc., are showcased with more clarity and volume; some tracks aren't hurt; some are even enhanced. . .but Karen sings with a playful, and subtle, lisp on many of these tracks (something she always had just like her brother, but to a much lesser extent). .take Christmas Song for example. This worked beautifully in the original mix, but with the digital re-do those lisps become intrusive and almost metalic sounding.

I don't notice them when they're on my Stereo, but with headphones I do. . .and so, the Special Edition makes a welcome return to my ears after 2 decades.

Of course I'll still play the remixed album, simply because of the flow of the songs, and First Snowfall (another favourite).

By the way, is there any way to purchase the original XMAS PORTRAIT on CD?

Right, that's me done. Remix or no remix (and I dare say if he could do it over Richard would incorporate the best of the orginal mix with the best of the re-mixes). . .it's still a BRILLIANT 50 minutes of music.

Last edited:
And there will never be another pressing of the original mix on CD (unless someone copies the West German CD), as the original final mix masters for Christmas Portrait were not stored correctly, and when Richard and crew went to release Christmas Collection, the tapes for Christmas Portrait would play with a massive number of dropouts (even tapes sourced from other parts of the world had these dropouts, apparently the brand of tape used in the 70's, while offering a "guarantee to last year's longer than other tapes, the brand has turned out to be one that where the binder dries up and can shred in the machine), and aside from "Sleep Well Little Children", there was no way to recover any other tracks, so Richard had to go back to the various session recordings and basically build Christmas Portrait from the ground up. So in terms of original mixes, only "Sleep Well" exists on its own, while the SE tracks exist in the locked SE digital master, and the analog master used in West Germany also no longer exists.

Well today was the official day that I played this CD, German Pressing version....I got my tree today and just put the lights on it...I like to just have all white lights on it for a few days to admire it and Karen helped me yet again to start another holiday season...what a voice, what an album, I look forward to this every year...

Since '96 I've pretty much stuck to the 2 CD Christmas collection, since each album was featured in its entirety. But this year, for the first time, a couple of the re-mixed tracks on Portrait have bothered me, most significantly one of my favourites - Christmas Waltz.

I couldn't find my Special Edition so bought it again, transferred it onto my smart phone, and listened to the original mix for the first time in 19 years and was floored by her vocal.

The re-mixes don't bother me to the extent that they bother most: some bass lines, instruments etc., are showcased with more clarity and volume; some tracks aren't hurt; some are even enhanced. . .but Karen sings with a playful, and subtle, lisp on many of these tracks (something she always had just like her brother, but to a much lesser extent). .take Christmas Song for example. This worked beautifully in the original mix, but with the digital re-do those lisps become intrusive and almost metalic sounding.

I don't notice them when they're on my Stereo, but with headphones I do. . .and so, the Special Edition makes a welcome return to my ears after 2 decades.

Of course I'll still play the remixed album, simply because of the flow of the songs, and First Snowfall (another favourite).

By the way, is there any way to purchase the original XMAS PORTRAIT on CD?

Right, that's me done. Remix or no remix (and I dare say if he could do it over Richard would incorporate the best of the orginal mix with the best of the re-mixes). . .it's still a BRILLIANT 50 minutes of music.

So having had a chance to compare mix to remix properly, I'd say the only songs that, to me, are improved upon are Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas and I'll Be Home For Christmas.

The only ones that are hurt by the remix are Christmas Waltz, Christmas Song, Silent Night, Sleep Well Little Children.

Sleigh Ride, It's Christmas Time, Santa Clause, Carol of the Bells, Christ Is Born, Winter Wonderland Medley and Ave Maria are around the same quality, different, but of a similar standard.

The overture, Jingle Bells, First Snowfall I can't make a comment on since the only time I've heard the original mixes it was on cassette back in '92, and I haven't had a walkman in a LONGGGGG time.

MCD is exempt.

Just my two penneth worth.

A Christmas song I've been thinking about recently is "Christmas Time is Here" from the Charlie Brown Christmas special -- been stuck in my head ever since I watched it the other day. During the 50th anniversary celebration before the show on ABC, they had a woman (for the life of me I can't remember her name) performing this. In a strange way, when this woman started singing it I could hear Karen singing it. Surely her voice would melt all over it and Richard's piano would work a treat -- a jazzy tune reminiscent of their early roots.

Back
Top Bottom