• Freight Train Joe

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Flamingo

Votes: 15 23.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike Blakesley said:
"For Carlos" has never been a real favorite of mine. It's OK, but not A+ material for me. To me it sounds like a cousin of "Bud," from the NINTH album - but "Bud" is one of my all time favorites. (But Captain B. (I think) skips that one every time!)

Nope. I like "Bud", and I really like "For Carlos". Not only is it a well written song, but I like the way the voices were utilized on the track as well. As I mentioned in the beginning S.R.O. is my favorite TJB album, although I find "Freight Train Joe" to be a weak track (and that's the tune I skip, usually). It's the jazziest of the TJB albums, which is the main reason I love it.

Capt. Bacardi

Mike Blakesley said:
Maybe it's Mr. Bill who's the non-"Bud" fan then...I know it's one of you guys.

That may be me. I've never been too fond of that cut. In fact, my least favorite of the original TJB LPs are SRO and Ninth. However, with age and the rediscovering them on the S!F reissues, I've gained a greater appreciation of both. In my youth "Freight Train Joe" and "Work SOng were my fave cuts of SRO.

Interesting note: to day in checking out my favorite local CD haunt I vcame across an Astrud Gilberto CD that features a vocal version of "THe Sea Is My Soil." I'll let all know my thoughts and feelings after hearing it wth words for thge first time in my life...

--Mr Bill

Mr Bill said:
Interesting note: today in checking out my favorite local CD haunt I vcame across an Astrud Gilberto CD that features a vocal version of "THe Sea Is My Soil." I'll let all know my thoughts and feelings after hearing it wth words for thge first time in my life...

Wow! I must say I found this quite interesting...

Trouble is my comment either need to move to the Warm thread or the OaSCoF forum... I'm inclined to go to the Warm thread since I see this discussion connecting with that LP more than anything else....

--Mr Bill

SRO is my favorite TLB album. Ir's loaded with great songs, and there's lots of variety. Although I think Flamingo is tied with Wade In The Water for the best song they ever did, I voted for a personal favorite, For Carlos. A very well thought out song, from the haunting melody to the chorus and some great playing by Herb, it really works!

Another great tune is Mexican Road Race, and Blue Sunday I think is very underrated. There really isn't a bad song on the album. The decison to end the lp with Flamingo was right on the money. Ceroli's drumming really pushes the song forward and the tune just rocks!

Someone earlier mentioned Alpert liked to end album sides with strong tunes. He sure did on this lp, very much like he did on Sounds Like and a few others. Has there ever been a forum topic that just discussed song positions on lps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom