• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks harry! super!

she's so sexy in that 60's kinda way

if i were art directing that shoot
i would've had to use a marichino cherry somewhere
just to finish her off

Steve Sidoruk: Whipped Cream & Other Delights is currently the top selling CD at CD Universe, beating Bruce Springsteen and Rob Thomas.

Hurrah! And I'd wager that if either the regular or Harry's alternative shot of the foamy Delores were used in an advertising blitz, sales of this album would again go straight through the roof!

You are correct. It was Allen Toussaint. He wrote many songs under the pseudonym Naomi Neville. For a glimpse into some great music, pick up his single disc Bear Family relaease of him material from the early 60's. He was great. Don't forget that he wrote the Glen Campbell mega-hit "Southern Nights". Also wrote(and first released) Al Hirt's huge hit "Java".

Dave said:
I think my second-favorite track, should definitely be "Whipped Cream", the Foot Stompin' & Be-Boppin' title-track of this album! Wasn't it originally a New Orleans tune written (and possibly performed) by Alan Toussaint? Or by a group of his? Hard to believe what ONE listen to the original gave Herb the "inspiration" to do...! :idea:

Dave

It's now #6 on deepdiscountcd for those keeping track of this sort of thing, creeping to the top slowly but surely.

IMO, Dolores Erickson ought to get royalties for the record she helped sell (not to mention producing millions of male fantasies :tongue: ).

The acid test will be if it shows up in the "top catalog sales" chart at Billboard. I just got my new issue today -- not there yet, but it's still too early for it to register.

I disagree about the chronology of "Rosemary". I can't say for sure if the trumpet tracks are fresh although they don't sound like Herb's newest recordings, but I would say that both tracks were laid down in the sixties with "Rosemary" sounding dead on for the WHIPPED CREAM time period. In fact, it's interesting that Julius Wechter recorded it later on and claims credit for the tune because the first thing I thought upon hearing it was it could have fit as easily on BMB RIDES AGAIN as on WHIPPED CREAM. It sounds to me to have the pre-touring band studio group backing it and with just slight touches it could be a BMB tune. You already know that I believe that Herb played most of the pre-BMB touring band trumpet parts and with the harmonies the way they are on this tune, if the marimba had been more prominent, it would have sounded completely like an early Baja tune. I can understand why some might think it's a 70's tune because Herb's tone and phrasing is simiar to that on "Grandpa Lou" which was 1976, but still I think it is 60's all the way. BTW, I voted for "A Taste Of Honey" despite the fact that I like many of the tunes on this album equally well. "Butterball", "El Garbanzo", "Peanuts", "Bittersweet Samba", "Whipped Cream" are all great as well as the ones I didn't mention. I disregarded the two bonus tracks since they were not part of the original album. But I love them too.

David,
NP: Rosemary

To me, "Rosemary" sounds a little closer to the What Now My Love sessions (which was only a year later). I say that because I hear some similarities to "Cantina Blue" sound-wise. Regardless, it's a nice addition to a great album.

Capt. Bacardi

Agreed. The fact that we're getting all of the albums reissued plus "new" TJB popping up periodicaly is just too cool :thumbsup:

David,
thanking Herb for an 18 month Christmas..........

I knew this album's favorite-song poll would be interesting to watch. "A Taste of Honey" stays in the lead, but coming up fast on the outside is "Loliipops and Roses," with "Tangerine" and even fresh filly "Rosemary" gaining ground.

Keep those votes coming in—this baby is going to be tight. And it's nothing compared with what I expect we'll see on !!Going Places!!

I think it's the audio quality first of all that makes me believe that these tracks must have been recorded a few years later than the Whipped Cream album. The sound of the accoustic guitar on Rosemary e.g. is much closer to "Jerusalem" or "Montezuma's Revenge" than anything on Whipped Cream and the same goes for the marimba and of course the trumpet on both tracks. In addition the TJB sound seems more defined in these arrangements than it was back in early 1965.

- greetings from the north-
Martin

I knew this album's favorite-song poll would be interesting to watch.

What's cool to me is, the songs I like the least are the ones with no votes! Do I have good taste or what? :D

well truth be told it ain't his best
(a landmark lp for sure, but not his best)

wait till the votes for "going places" or "herb's 9th" start rolling in

we'll see some real diversity in the polls then

Just got around to getting it today. It sounds remarkably fresh and wonderfully recorded. I voted for A Taste Of Honey, but really the whole album is just such a welcome breath of clean air!!! BTW -- is Rosemary a beautiful song or what?!!!!

Oh yeah!!! Has anybody noticed that CDDB has spelled Herb's last name incorrectly on this one? Now he's "Albert!" Oops!!

RE: the Album cover...
I was about 12 years old when WC came out, and I know that for decades there has been discussion about the provacative photo of the Whipped Cream Lady. I have always felt that the WCLady was gorgeous and the cover was cute, but nothing vulger about it. Now if you look at my web site at "Cheesy Album Chicks", they were from the same era and before, I think they were more cutting edge as far as being provacative.
Have a happy 5th:cool: ...Jay

I took a look at that page and I have to disagree. The only disc listed there that is as provacative is the Ventures disc, and it is from much later. In fact, even that one is tamer. There is just something about that whipped cream that is so....sensual.

There is just something about that whipped cream that is so....sensual.

Especially when it envelopes a beauty wearing nothing more than a decidely come-hither expression.

I'm sure others have also noticed that delicate dipple in the cream on her left breast. The photographer showed great, ah, care with his subject.

Oh, my. Still libidinous after all these years.

Mike Blakesley said:
The acid test will be if it shows up in the "top catalog sales" chart at Billboard. I just got my new issue today -- not there yet, but it's still too early for it to register.

I'm new to this forum... just found about it last week. It's great.

And Mike B, this album release will be on next weeks Billboard magazine's "Top Internet Abulms" chart. It lands in at an impressive #6. :)

It will be on the May 7th issue. You can find this chart online and see for yourself at http://www.billboard.com/bb/charts/internet.jsp
Every Wednesday or Thursday they update all the available online charts.

-- rrubio8639 --

Oops, I meant to say #13 on that chart.

Got a little ahead of myself... but it just may keep climbing. :wink:

-- rrubio8639 --

And Mike B, this album release will be on next weeks Billboard magazine's "Top Internet Abulms" chart.

Thanks -- but like I said, the real acid test will be if it shows up on the Catalog chart. That's the one that registers the most sales. Internet sales are great, but they're just a drop in the total sales bucket. The catalog chart will take into account brick/mortar AND internet sales, so it's a lot more meaningful.

Numero Cinco said:
There is just something about that whipped cream that is so....sensual.

Especially when it envelopes a beauty wearing nothing more than a decidely come-hither expression.

I'm sure others have also noticed that delicate dipple in the cream on her left breast. The photographer showed great, ah, care with his subject.

Oh, my. Still libidinous after all these years.

Dipple?

Dan

Mike Blakesley said:
Thanks -- but like I said, the real acid test will be if it shows up on the Catalog chart. That's the one that registers the most sales. Internet sales are great, but they're just a drop in the total sales bucket. The catalog chart will take into account brick/mortar AND internet sales, so it's a lot more meaningful.

Good thing is, I've heard from a few people that they were having trouble finding Whipped Cream a couple of weeks ago because the stores were selling out of the copies they ordered. I think this is fanastic for a reissue that is not a rock/pop/R&B reissue! In the almost two weeks since it was released, it has already outsold "Lost Treasures" in our linked Amazon sales here.

Our warehouse was out of it last week too. They're one of the biggest distribs in the country, so that's a good sign too. I haven't checked today yet. We have one copy in stock here if anyone is really desperate! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom