Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Rosemary (Bonus Track)

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Blueberry Park (Bonus Track)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not yet purchased the recent release copy of WCAOD but I do have the LP and earlier CD version. WCAOD was the first LP that I ever purchased in March 1966. My folks bought their first stereo, a Philco portable with speakers that turned outward, the changer pulled down and only volume, balance and tone controls. I had to buy WCAOD just for "A Taste Of Honey" which I had grown so fond of during the summer of 1965. It wan's too long after that I ended up buying the three earlier LPs and GP.
Getting back to the favorites on WCAOD, I voted for "Tangerine" with "Lemon Tree" being a close second. I guess I like the arrangements on both of them and the fact that they bring back fond memories of slowing dancing to them with a girl friend at the time.
I am going the purchase the new WCAOD next month along with GP, WNML and SRO.

Larry B.

I'll now have to check-out that glitch in "Honey" to accertain for myself.
Personally, I'd imagine after all that overdubbing and so forth, that something would be compromised, but what's so neat about the sound of that production, is that if one didn't know better, they'd think it's a live four track recording, as it sounds natural. Now, since my version of it's from quite some time back, I've not the bonus tracks...major boo-hoo here :sad: well, they say that good tingz come to those that wait. Now, I'm awaiting the grand re-issue of "S.R.O.", which hasn't been available for ages and ages
(save for a Japanese version that one can obtain for a King's ransom at eGads(that is my comment of eBay's exorbitant prices :-P <---old-fashioned emoticon there....also, from what I've heard, the re-issued What Now My Love will be no echo, bump y grind and et al of the version that I've taken to not-so-official, but alas, it is, so here's anodder :sad: in responce to that.
It's like the ancient Babylonians would say "ya can't winnem all".
Anyway, with a shot of hookah. and I'll be ok...I think...

Warm Wishes, the hookahkid, who hopes that Herb remembered that "Bean Bag" comes back, so dun hit that stop button before the final guitar chord sounds. :D

"Honey", as featured on the original A&M version of "WC y OD", and guesswhat? There ain't nothing wrong widdit, or at least nothing that really stands out, and I listened right in front of speakers(now I'll try to find my headphones, if that's possible :laugh: What I can offer is more an anecdotal comment on just how awful most of our phongraphs were was back when, and when I first bought this album, I'd the chance to hear it on a very good player(a late 50s, or early 60s Magnavox w/tubes) which really sounded sharp compared to the stuff that I was otherwise using, so even though there may be a glitch in your copy, believe me, Bill, compared to how things were back when in the old daze when a basic 60 watt, no bells y whistles amplituner from Harmon Kardon could cost 400 late 60s bucks(and that means a grand today, and our then-current color tv(again, no frills cost about the same), one was lucky if music really sounde like music...as it was, more sound sytems than not clipped the audio, or distorted the harmonics to where one had to really love an album a whole lot to listen to the <bleep>.
So, today, with cds, and audio systems that are a cool 200% better than most everything around then, I don't givva fig if there's glitches here and there, but for the record, the version of "Honey", as sampled from my bonus-trackless version of WC y..." is as good as one can possibly hope for, and yes, I began scrutinizing it from 30 secs(actually, about 22 secs onto a minute plus, and I ran it though some three times, and can't find anything notably faulty. This is kinda like playing Sergio Mendes' "Night y Day" and listening for the defects that the newer edition has, but finding no faults.
Again, I'm using an 'older' Japanese import(without a reprint of original backcover graphics, and such(even ran it though my (then found) headphones. So that's basically it, Bill y all.

Warm Wishes,
de hookahkid who'd dig hearing a surround-sound of "Mex Road Race(or Rage, however ya pleeze :badteeth:
Way back when, I was discussing this with someone that I met in a motel swimming pool during one of our family's vacations, and there's a way to make it sound like a ghost car coming outta one speaker, and going in the other...yeah, I know that thing about making an equallateral triangle with speakers for true stereo experience, but I've not gotten the balance yet
(but back then I'd onnathose technowonders of a sound system)
so when it's reissued next mo, I'll try, by gum, to get dat freakin' effect.
And maybe get the glitch missing in "Honey". Didn'tcha jest want that inpho so badly? Me better lay offada hooka! L8ER

I can't imagine a better time, place or forum for me to finally talk about the timeless, brilliant, and thrilling arrangement and production that is "Lollipops and Roses," the closing track.

There is so much going on in this all-too-short shot of sensual energy, light and color that even 40 years later, I hear textures, overdubs, instrumental blends and production techniques that I hadn't picked up before.

L&R is nothing short of dazzling and always gets multiple plays.

Not only is it evocative for me on a personal level, returning me always to a place deep within myself, an earlier time, a freer time, when I first took up the trumpet dreaming of being able to reproduce this sound through my own soul and voice...but it excited as a sheer aural experience...a sonic painting, like when I listen to Pet Sounds..

I mean..the textural shift from the caffeine-drive rock beat on the main choruses to the spare, sleighbell smoothness of the first verse, with Bob's trombone solo decorated by those fleet little dancing trumpet and marimba fills the second time around. The perfection in meter, tension, and dynamics on the third, middle run of that oh so tight chorus, that big, dramatic finish.

The overdubbing appears heavy. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it wasn't as heavy as it sounds, that studio mastery by Herb and Jerry gave this track the sound of a much larger band.

I would give anything to hear this master played back in the studio, with individual tracks potted up and down on the mixing board, or a tracking session for this one, as you often have with big CD box sets, such as, again, "Pet Sounds."

L&R by Herb's TJB on WCAOD will forever fascinate me and speak to me, musically, like no other.

TJB Mike--

Don't check the "disable BBCode" or else your color, bold, italics, smilies and other details will be shut off. Best to just let those boxes run in default than to go alter them unless you're trying to achieve an effect (like littering your post with ['s, ]'s and the codes they enclose, making a post difficult to read). Most also don't care for colored fonts (though I insist on using I.R.S. maroon as the webmaestro of the IRS Records Corner).

--Mr Bill
who thinks judicious use of color and smilies is okay but overuse like Krayola Dave is annoying as hell

I agree with Numero Cinco that "Green Peppers" is an outstanding track on WCAOD. Personally, my #1 vote is a toss-up between "Green Peppers", which has an unequalled, feel-good samba groove, and "Butterball", which is a totally visceral, Bourbon Street, Dixieland romp that nothing else can touch, save for the rapid-fire New Orleans Dixie of "I'm Getting Sentimental..." on !!GP!! :cool: . I also agree with those in this thread who say that WCAOD featured so many excellent sides that it's hard to choose which one is numero uno. I don't agree that there is ANY filler on this release; WCAOD and !!GP!! are the creme de la creme (no pun intended! :D ) of Mr. Alpert's and the TJB's entire catalogue. There is so much unbridled energy and excitement and sheer passion (and fun!) that simply radiates from these two albums; listening to them again hasn't simply been an exercise in sentimental nostalgia for me (although that isn't always bad), but an inspiration and a renewal of my creative muse. Mr. A. and the guys sounded like they were just having the time of their lives putting these tracks together...how wonderful for them, and us, to be able to share in all the fun this music brings again! Thank you, Mr. Alpert and Mr. Moss and Shout!Factory for making these reissues possible. :thumbsup:

If I can only play one song, Butterball is it.
It gets me in a happy mood everytime.

According to the forum poll, A Taste Of Honey,
Green Peppers, Tangerine, Lollipops And Roses,
Love Potion #9, Bittersweet Samba and Ladyfingers
would all be great on a “Tijuana Brass” anthology.
Herb and the folks at Shout Factory should get our
opinion on a essential collection.

A Taste Of Honey is very well rounded. I was strugling with this song, Green Peppers and El Garbanzo. What can I say, I love all three, but I feel A Taste Of Honey is a little better.

If the family chooses to watch another syndicated re run, I‘m out of there, and enjoying another TJB re-master. Fortunately, most of these albums clock in at 30 minutes or less, so I don’t really need to cut anything. Unless I get started too late. So, if there was one song I had to skip due to time restraints it would be Lemon Tree. I've heard my wifes Peter Paul and Mary recording too many times.

If you had to skip one, what would it be?

I'd skip the one that's a polka, I forget the name - it's either Peanuts, Ladyfingers or Butterball.

The 2 new songs at the end are enjoyable but it's easy to see why they did not make the cut. (Although they could have replaced the polka with one of them and improved the album, I guess.)

I was listening to Green Peppers and I noticed the faint piano part that I had never paid much attention to before. Listen closely -- it is an interesting addition to the overall sound.

Butterball -- I love this piece, especially the "ad lib" section. I wonder who was playing the clarinet?

happycamper, are you referring to the normal piano part of the song that's in the left channel?

Harry

Yes. Now that I am listening to these new releases on CD I am noticing more of the background music -- Not because it is louder than on the original, but I think I have matured as a musician after 30 years.

To me, having Whipped Cream re-relaeased was great- it hurt when Rewhipped was released, IMO, a totally rediculous project that failed in my ears...

We get it...you don't like RE-WHIPPED, but please keep in mind this thread is about WHIPPED CREAM, the original album.

Mike Blakesley said:
We get it...you don't like RE-WHIPPED, but please keep in mind this thread is about WHIPPED CREAM, the original album.

And it's STILL AVAILABLE -- ReWhipped is not a replacement. All you ReW haters are acting like Herb is intending to use it to replace the original like Speilberg did with ET and CE3K... Sheez!

--Mr Bill

Maybe we should consider a ...Rewhipped VS. Whipped Cream... thread...

I think this reissue is well-presented with Chartreuse-galore and the two Bonus Tracks are also a nice touch...

Dave

Mr Bill said:
Mike Blakesley said:

And it's STILL AVAILABLE -- ReWhipped is not a replacement. All you ReW haters are acting like Herb is intending to use it to replace the original like Speilberg did with ET and CE3K... Sheez!

--Mr Bill

Speaking only for myself, and owning both albums, for me it is a matter of taste/personal preferences; not a matter of regarding ReWhipped as some kind of revision of, or replacement for the original album. When I listen to ReWhipped, I have no inclination to compare it to the original recordings. I simply view it throught the "lens" of personal preference and personal likes/dislikes on its own merits.

The question I ask myself is simply... "Do I like what I hear?" I think Herb himself has commented in a similar direction in regard to his own recordings about songs that are fun to listen to and have a special feel or personal appeal.

I like Tangerine because it is a good example of Herb's unique sound and style on the trumpet. As a trumpet player, I always think about the trumpet.

Captaindave said:
Speaking only for myself, and owning both albums, for me it is a matter of taste/personal preferences; not a matter of regarding ReWhipped as some kind of revision of, or replacement for the original album. When I listen to ReWhipped, I have no inclination to compare it to the original recordings. I simply view it throught the "lens" of personal preference and personal likes/dislikes on its own merits.

That's how *all* music should be viewed: you either like it or you don't. :agree: Rewhipped just uses some familiar tracks as a basis to create new ones. Not everyone's cup of tea, but how many other artists out there have had remix albums while the original was still available? Quite a few. Both of Bebel Gilberto's albums are available in remixed versions. Paula Abdul's "Forever Your Girl" had a follow-up collection of remixes. Ditto a few of Rob Zombie's recent recordings: "Astro-Creep: 2000" was followed by "Supersexy Swinging Sounds". Like any remix project, some of the remixes are neat, and others don't work so well.

Captaindave said:
The question I ask myself is simply... "Do I like what I hear?" I think Herb himself has commented in a similar direction in regard to his own recordings about songs that are fun to listen to and have a special feel or personal appeal.

Also: if Herb did not feel this project was worth doing, it wouldn't be out there on the shelves right now. It felt "right" to him, so it happened. And we even got some new trumpet performances on top of them.

And yes: if there is any one TJB album that will survive the decades and remain in print, it's going to be WC&OD. It's out there for all of us to buy again in its new version, or we can even hit our used record shops and buy a few dozen LP copies if it suits us. Remixes may come and go, but the original is what will have the staying power. :thumbsup:

I can't remember who said it, but I heard this on TV just the other day. A guy said, "How do you know if a song is good or not? Simple. If you like it, it's good."

Remember a few years ago when Herb anounced that he was retiring from the music business, how sad we all were? Well now he's back. First with "Lost Treasures" and more recently, "Re-Whipped"! We now have two more "new" TJB albums! I, for one, am glad that Herb has found the inspiration to go back in the studio and record some new musical magic. While I agree with those who feel the original WCAOD was a true masterpiece, I see no reason not to like RW. It's like throwing the TJB into a time capsule and finding out how they would sound if WCAOD were released in 2006 instead of 1965. I agree with Rudy that the original will continue to be the Brass' most well known and beloved album through the decades, I can't deny that RW is also a strong album on it's own merits. And the fact that itshows that there is still some music left in Herb Alpert's trumpet makes it all the better.

David,
hoping that Herb is cooking up another musical surprise as well as the rest of the catalog on CD......

I see REWHIPPED as a continuation of something Herb has always done...a rerecording of previous tracks. He's done it with ROUTE 101, YOU SMILE THE SONG BEGINS, RED HOT, THE WINDS OF BARCELONA/EL PRESIDENTE, I'VE GROWN ACCUSTOMED TO HER FACE, MAGIC MAN...why not a whole album? He already had enough remixes for a whole side...

Dan, who forgot to add BESAME MUCHO...

I'll probably roast in virtual A&M Corner hell for my opinions about this LP...but, that's why we have forums -- to exchange ideas, for if we all thought alike what'd be the point for exchange and discussion?

As much as I was enamored by South Of The Border, Whipped Cream & Other Delights sent me packing. The positive side is that with this programme, Mr. Alpert hits on the formula for an attractive LP: a couple serious arrangements, one sensitive ballad, another not-so-sensitive ballad, a happy trumpet number, a novelty, some party music, a song children will like, and that "latin sound" he wasn't trying to get... The negative side is that the expert arrangements and cohesive feeling that made SOTB such a wonderful listen is all but lost here. Where SOTB is a complete front-to-back LP experience, WCAOD is a mere collection of songs with little inter-relationship. Put another way: At its best, you have a pretty spiffy set list -- with side one arguably the best single LP side to date; while at its worst, you have wayyy too many novelty/throwaway tunes -- with side two arguably the worst (or "least interesting") LP side to date.

Honey -- Just never could get into this one. Nevertheless, I like how Mr. Alpert recycled elements from the marvellous Mexican Shuffle: the silent sections and the key change w/the percussive points. And of course the ritenudo sections are really cool. It's interesting too how the drumming definitely takes a back seat to the fender bass. The bass totally drives this song while the drum kit follows/supports the bass.

Peppers -- This is more like it. Odd melody and unique changes and turnarounds. Dig the piano essentially playing the entire band arrangement. More silence and a cool major/minor thing. And truly intriguing how it's quickly over. A+

Tangerine -- Taking a key from I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face on SOTB, Mr. Alpert give us his finest solo performance to date. And it's a beaut! Notice the "new melody" he wrote for the piano + we get to hear Herb's voice for the first time. The bass part is gorgeous and that bongo player is a class act. Gotta be the amazing Bud Coleman on guitar. The finest TjB banner performance to date! A+

Samba -- Another short one. I personally like the 12-string guitar that Coleman used all over SOTB (apparently Herb did, too!). That descending straight-up bass line against the polyrhythms in the A-section hooks it for me.

Lemon Tree -- More wonderful acoustic guitar from Bud...it's nice how the trumpets take a back seat to the guitar (just like on Bud from Ninth). Another singular arrangement of the sort that made SOTB quite the fascinating LP song-after-song.

Whipped -- A bit too cutesy for my palate...but it could get worse -- and it does on the side 2.

#9 -- A novelty for sure (imagine a whole LP of stuff like this).

Garbanzo -- This is almost as ridiculous as a song can get (it's almost like music for little children). But I guess the idea hear is just fun stuff, eh?

Ladyfingers -- I like Toots Thielemans a great deal (and so does Quincy Jones -- I believe Toots is all over Q's first 3 A&M LPs) but this piece is, like El Garbanzo, such a load of nothing, you know? The melody is stale and just keeps getting repeated over and over and over with no emotional alteration whatsoever. It seems devoid of thought and passion relative to the exquisite reading of Tangerine.

Butterball -- I guess this is the "dixieland" version of El Garbanzo -- another throwaway.

Peanuts -- With this the LP's nadir is firmly achieved. It's somewhere between a Jewish wedding band and the American Legion Parade Band and Colors halftime show at a Jr high football game. Filler with a capitol F.

Roses -- Finally something to sink one's teeth into. Great arrangement. Like with Honey, the bass leads the band. And like with Green Peppers, the piano arrangement is complete on its own. It's cool to hear the piano bass and the fender bass playing similar parts without stepping on each other's toes. The key-change trombone break with sleigh bells is pure Alpert and very progressive for 1965. Herb was definitely a pacesetter with arrangements like these -- and these were the arrangements the TjB copycats were trying to figure out. A+

As for the bonus tracks -- yup, they sound like the kinda stuff that gets left in the can. Rosemary feels like something after Beat of the Brass, while Blueberry could be a BOTB outtake. Stylistically, they have little in common with the original LP -- then again, the original LP is stylistically all over the map! They were probably included, the thinking being that of all the re-issues WCAOD would garner the most attention and that the inclusion of bonus material might add one more layer of seduction to even the most unfamiliar and cautious buyer.

Overall the LP exhibits the most improved sound relative to my "mint but crappy-sounding" LP -- which, as Herb stated in the booklet, DID sound kinda flat.

Anyway, sorry if I ruffled a few feathers, but suffice it to say, if the LP had been issued with a more conventional and modest cover, I'd hazard a guess that much of the mystique would be lost.

-Name withheld by request (ha!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom