The Sad Songs thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that Nancy gives her version such a, as quoted by someone who also knows of her version, "Tearful Denouement"...!!! :cry: :)

Here's something sad that made my sister cry: A CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) TV Station Identification Broadcast (Back when we watched "Channel 9, Windsor (Ontario)" with that fuzzy screen) underscored with a very "haunting" organ... It made such a scary sound, while there were images shown resembling "scenes from The Bible"... I thought it was scary, too...

That and "The Letter X Bit" on Sesame Street; the "X" is shown, while a voice yodels out: "...Eh-eh-eh-eh-eh-eh-exxxxxx..."...! :scared:

Dave
bigtv.gif

I see this thread is still alive so I'll have to mention one that always coaxes out a tear or two, and it just happens to be on A&M!

Joe Cocker - The Moon's a Harsh Mistress

I'd love to hear Jimmy Webb do it.

Most of those that pull at the emotions for me are only for personal reasons -- with a given song acting as a convenient soundtrack.

However, there is one piece that can do it everytime based solely on performance and song.

Sometime in the mid '70s Sinatra recorded Send In The Clowns, accompanied only by piano. It's an emotional read consistent with the feel from his excellent Watertown LP ['70]. I always liked the song, and in Sinatra's hands the delivery of those words seem to be the optimal fit with his then-gracefully aging voice. (As far as I know, the song was never meant for LP inclusion, and appears to be only available on a "Best Of" type comp. I wish Sinatra would've done more piano/voice duets like this.)

I think that some of the best vocals ever made are when the singer is accompanied by one instrument, usually piano or guitar. The Sinatra example is a good one. One of my favorite Sinatra songs is his version of the Johnny Mandel song Empty Tables (talk about sad songs) accompanied only by piano. Sinatra is a little older here, and his melancholy, somewhat cracking voice with that piano is a stunning performance. I also wish Frank had recorded more tunes in this style.

Ella Fitzgerald did a album years ago called Let No Man Write My Epitaph. Likewise she only had a pianist playing behind her. I think it was the best album she ever did. Sammy Davis Jr did an album accompanied only by guitarist Laurindo Almedia in the 60s. In my opinion, it was by far the best lp Sammy ever did.

There's a certain vulnerability a singer has when he (she) records an song with only one instrument. The song seems to have a heightened sensitivity that you just don't get with a larger group.

nightcat said:
...Sammy Davis Jr did an album accompanied only by guitarist Laurindo Almedia in the 60s. In my opinion, it was by far the best lp Sammy ever did..

Total agreement with you, Nightcat -- Sammy had a fine '60s run of LPs, yet the one you mentioned reveals his pure, raw vocal talent like no other. Two others that may offer similar appeal are Thelnoious Monk / Himself ['57], and June Christy & Stan Kenton / Duets ['55]. The latter offers a rare opportunity to hear Stan play solo piano.

"Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong. Beautiful song that makes me remember all the friends and family that have passed.

mstaft said:
"Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong. Beautiful song...

Oh, man! As I get older, that one seems to make my eyes water...so does Waltz For Debbie as sung by Johnny Hartman.

Guess I'm becoming an old softy. Geeze!!

JO... I love Waltz For Debby, but didn't know Johnny Hartman had a version. On which lp? My only vocal of Debby is Carol Ventura on Prestige. Can you believe jazz critic Gene Lees wrote the words? He must have had a daughter who just left home for college when he wrote it.

Nightcat -- it's on his 3rd and final impulse! release, The Voice That Is! ['64]. About half the LP features notable instrumentation (marimba, English horn or flute, Latin percussion, acoustic guitar, double bass, drum kit, and piano). I played the song for my mom about 10 years ago and it brought a slight tear or two from her eyes...which, of course, affected me. Pretty emotional stuff, I tell ya. [Isn't music just the best friggin' thing?!?! Dang! I bought her a copy and both mom and dad became quick fans of one of America's vocal treasures.] She called the performance "happy/sad" and Hartman sincerely delivers -- he sings the words as only a father could...

On the LP, he also sings A Slow Hot Wind and the fascinating Joey, Joey, Joey. In deference to the Coltrane album, of the three impulse! issues, this is the one "that is".

[On a personal sour note, I notice that Dave Grusin and Larry Rosen have put their names as "Executive Producers" right along side the "genuine" producer of the date, Bob Thiele. There's gotta be a name for people who had nothing to do with a work of art, plastering their names right up as if they were a part of the proceedings. I have a couple Coltrane issues where Grusin's name is adjacent to and in the same font size as Thiele's and Coltrane's. How outrageous is that?]

Yow, something else from The Tube: The old Pepe Le Pew cartoons... That horny skunk in pursuit of its constant Love Interest the poor, hapless black cat with the sometimes accidental, sometimes purposely painted white line down its back, of course mistaken for another skunk, whom of course, can't tolerate his one fatal flaw: He Stinks...! Can't help getting misty over the one episode where Pepe saves the cat from drowning... My sister and I were both watching it and mom peeks right into the room asking us: "What's Wrong?" "Oh, you don't like the skunk?" As we go through a good "breaking down and crying" as the episode ends with that infamous routine... :cry:

Pepe_LePew.gif

OK, here's something that had my sister cry: Does anyone remember Little Gravel Voice? The poor, cute little burro, whom is embraced by the woodland creatures until he is called on to speak, in which case the animals are forced to back off and even run away from his hoarse braying, which of course came in handy when the forest friends are attacked by a ferocious wolf... In which case that fierce bray saves the day...! And I think that scene where the wolf is antagonizing the "helpless, gentle animals" and gets scared away by Gravel Voice's "roar" that made me emit a few tears... :cry:

Dave

dostros said:
...Joe Cocker - The Moon's a Harsh Mistress

I'd love to hear Jimmy Webb do it....

Well, Jimmy has done a version of it on his 1977 LP for Atlantic, El Mirage... "Highwayman" from it usually coaxes out a tear from me, and more so do "A Moment In A Shadow", "Mixed-Up Guy" and "Where The Universes Are"... And even the last track, "Skylark (A Meditation)" which is an instrumental, finds me a bit misty, too...

My first exposure to "The Moon's a Harsh Mistress" was Judy Collins singing it and having a version by Linda Ronstadt, as well...

Dave

Dave said:
dostros said:
...Joe Cocker - The Moon's a Harsh Mistress
I'd love to hear Jimmy Webb do it....

Well, Jimmy has done a version of it on his 1977 LP for Atlantic, El Mirage... "Highwayman" from it usually coaxes out a tear from me, and more so do "A Moment In A Shadow", "Mixed-Up Guy" and "Where The Universes Are"... And even the last track, "Skylark (A Meditation)" which is an instrumental, finds me a bit misty, too...

You've just made me more determined to find some Jimmy Webb albums. I mostly buy vinyl if I can find it. I wasn't sure if he was just one of those great songwriters that are really crappy singers (how does that work?)

I guess I was conscious that Linda had done 'Mistress'. Cocker's version is pretty moving.

Uno... said:
You've just made me more determined to find some Jimmy Webb albums. I wasn't sure if he was just one of those great songwriters that are really crappy singers (How does that work?)

Actually a lot of people who have covered his songs are said to have never had the depth of emotion that Jimmy gives his own songs (though there are the usual exceptions, such as Art Garfunkel doing "Crying In My Sleep")...

Well, Collectors Choice has released all of Jimmy's Warner Communicaitons-affiliated catalog on CD from the Reprise, Atlantic, Electra and Asylum labels, including Susupending Disbelief... Everything but the Epic album, Jimmy Webb Sings Jimmy Webb (which is an interesting but embarrassing debut album, with the exception of his excellent reading of "I Keep It Hid") and the Columbia/Legacy-issued Angel Heart, which along with Susupending Disbelief was briefly available on CD...

I am still a "Webb-head" and I enjoy hearing Jimmy's stuff and I would love seeing him in concert...

Dave

Yow, how 'bout The Rolling Stones "Gimme Shelter", especially the female vocal part by Merry Clayton done at the bridge of the song... A very definitive middle-period Rolling Stones number with the "echo" guitar at the beginning, the distorted guitar as the song goes on, the chorus of "Oooooohhhhh's...." The tears really well-up especially thinking about the Altamont Speedway incident while the Stones were performing this Live...

Other Sad Stones Numbers: "Ruby Tuesday" and "As Tears Go By", both covered by my fav' singer, Bobby Goldsboro...

Dave

Yow, I forgot that this song should also be a "gusher", as opposed to a mere "tear-jerker"...:

It's one of those nights--Yes, Love...!--Yes, Love...! --by The Partridge Family and I try not play Side 2 of the Lettermen Lettermen 1 album on which Tony Butala, Jim Pike and I think Bob Engemann sing out a tearful rendition of this sobby ballad, as well...! :cry:

Dave

MammaMiaPosterCr.jpg

-- Of course it's because its a Musical consisting of the music of ABBA...!!! :love:

Yes, the spirited spontaniety of their songs as a Musical make my heart beat with joy...! :love:

Dave

ch7i_b.jpg

Both, the storyline and its theme can be very bold, brave, brash, gripping and inspiring...!!!
run.gif

Dave

"You'll Never Find Another Love" by Lou Rawls..., --by The Ray Conniff Singers..., --or the instrumental version I had by Jazz saxophonist Stanley Turrentine (On his Fantasy album, The Man With The Sad Face)... --Or the version that the Wedding Band played last night...

"Love Hangover", done by Diana Ross, though a little known-fact is that The 5th Dimension recorded it on an ABC '45' as an "off-shoot" of their Earthbound album, also recorded for ABC... Promotional copies had a "Long version" and "Short version" where as more official "stock copies" were backed with another non-LP track, "Will You Be There?"

I'm suprised I was the only one on the dance floor or at least DANCING when the Wedding Band played it, as part of a "Diana Ross medley" which when the band shifted to "Upside Down" it got everybody else up there boogie-in' while I sat back down...

Other "sad songs to make the tears start up and get moving", or at least the way they were played by this Weddin' Band, were "Watch What Happens", "Our Day Will Come" and I think even "Girl Talk" (which was enough to put another entry in the "Heard Herb" thread, but I really, so far, even out here, haven't!)...

Dave

OK, The Bee-Gees' "You Should Be Dancin'" sometimes gets me feeling a lil' misty--and especially the way the wedding band played it--NO Guitar Solo, 'cept when I came up "playing it" myself (though no-one noticed, like they would here in MI, when I get out my air-guitar!)...! Guess the one guitarist could only play the rhythm parts, so that must be why...
dance-cpatch.gif

For a wedding reception in Los Angeles, California, it seems as though everyone was "perfectly straight"--OK, a bunch of SQUARES!--, even though most of 'em were loadin' up on drinks...!
drunk.gif

Here's a YouTube memory for you, complete with a video of Bee-Gees playing it (though despite them being shown in Concert, it is the original studio recording) John Travolta/SATURDAY NIGHT footage...:
dance-disco.gif

Dave

Dave said:
"You'll Never Find Another Love" by Lou Rawls..., --by The Ray Conniff Singers..., --or the instrumental version I had by Jazz saxophonist Stanley Turrentine (On his Fantasy album, The Man With The Sad Face)... --Or the version that the Wedding Band played last night...

"Love Hangover", done by Diana Ross, though a little known-fact is that The 5th Dimension recorded it on an ABC '45' as an "off-shoot" of their Earthbound album, also recorded for ABC... Promotional copies had a "Long version" and "Short version" where as more official "stock copies" were backed with another non-LP track, "Will You Be There?"

I'm suprised I was the only one on the dance floor or at least DANCING when the Wedding Band played it, as part of a "Diana Ross medley" which when the band shifted to "Upside Down" it got everybody else up there boogie-in' while I sat back down...

Other "sad songs to make the tears start up and get moving", or at least the way they were played by this Weddin' Band, were "Watch What Happens", "Our Day Will Come" and I think even "Girl Talk" (which was enough to put another entry in the "Heard Herb" thread, but I really, so far, even out here, haven't!)...

Dave

"Love Hangover" was recorded by the newly re-organized Fifth Dimension of Ron Townson, Lamonte McLemore, Florence Larue Gordon and newcomers Marjorie Barnes and Danny Beard. Both of these songs were to be included on the Fifth Dimension album "Home Cookin" on ABC Records. For some horrible reason ABC shelved "Home Cookin" and only the singles remain.

JMAR5 said:
..."Love Hangover" was recorded by the newly re-organized Fifth Dimension... ...Both of these songs were to be included on the Fifth Dimension album Home Cookin' on ABC Records... ...For some horrible reason ABC shelved Home Cookin' and only the singles remain...

Yeah, yeah, I remember a mention of the Homecookin' album, the follow-up to Earthbound on ABC... There is a CD of rare and previously unreleased studio tracks plus some Live numbers... Think the studio tracks were actually what was destined to be Homecookin' or maybe what would be "in-place" of the shelved Homecookin' project... "Horrible" that it was shelved is right...!

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom