The Sad Songs thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike Blakesley said:
The Bee-Gees' "You Should Be Dancin'" sometimes gets me feeling a lil' misty

Well if ever there was a song that DOESN'T fit this topic, that's it!

--The fever..., --the fury..., --the burnin' up the dance floor...!!! --Or doin' what you WOULD be "doin' on your back"...!!! :love:

C'mon, gimme a break...! This is that type o' song to me... :)

Dave

Madonna "Borderline"; think it's OK to list this one... Ah, listen to the lyrics: "...If you want me let me know, baby let it show, honey don't you fool around; just try to understand, I'm givin' all I can, 'cause you got the best of me; Boderline, feels like I'm goin' to lose my mind, you just keep pushin' my love over the borderline..."

The electric piano at the beginning made me think this was Stephanie Mills' "Never Been Loved Like This Before", and then years later I heard this again, or thought it was Madonna's "Border...", but it WAS Stephanie Mills' "Never Been..."...

OK, I heard Madonna's "Holiday" yesterday... Remember being introduced to the song and Madonna on SOLID GOLD... Made me flashback to waiting in my car after school with the radio on waiting for my sister to come out (My last class was closer to the parking lot than hers was) so I laid across the front seat of the biggest, bestest, baaadddest ride any OPHS student had, reading a book...!

Otherwise, there's a sign that I've clearly wandered into the wrong discussion forum by mistake...! :nut:

Dave

davis_m_md73.jpg

"...Still I never could stand to see, a Woman Crying..."

Dave said:
--How 'bout a "DAVE Crying"??!! :cry: :laugh:

--Both "Woman Crying" by Mac Davis, recorded by Jimmie Rodgers on his Troubled Times album (Track 3, Side 2) in 1969/1970, (on which the same could be said for the entire LP) and the original Mac Davis recorded later on, in 1973, is also a "World Class Weeper", All The Way...!!! :sad:

Dave

Yow, put down the rest of Mac's album, Mac Davis, especially the first song on Side 2 "Feel Like Crying" and the last two songs, "Beginning To Feel The Pain" and "Your Side Of The Bed"... :sad:

Kind'a had a "Big Mac Attack" so the tears will really be flowin'--I bought nearly his complete works and I'm listening to them now while the lady is at work... :cry:

Dave

davis_m_stopeand.jpg

"...Hey, don't you remember? When we sang the sweetest song; Hey don't you remember? There was a time when you sang along; But now your love is driftin' and I've forgotten all the words and half the melody of a distant memory when we sang...'The Sweetest Song'..."

Mac's "The Sweetest Song" is also the SADDEST Song...! :cry: :cry: :cry: :sad:

This one had me running right over to my wife, "trying to find a good excuse"...!!! :cry: :oops: :wink: :sad: :)

:help:

Dave

Dave said:
This one had me running right over to my wife, "trying to find a good excuse"...!!! :cry:

Hopefully she gave you what you needed (nudge nudge, wink wink)

Another Sad Album...

:cry:

86758.jpg

Feel The Warm - Billy Eckstine (Enterprise ENS 1017) [1971]

Make It With You/Think About Things/Don't Leave Me/Mixed Up Guyl/Third Child/Feel The Warm/Walk A Mile In My Shoes/Something More/We've Only Just Begun/Love The One You're With

:sad:

Another Very Sad, Sad Album...!

:cry:

Listen...

:neutral:inkshield:​

Dave

Mr Bill recommends a two week banishment of the Krayola King for resurrecting a thread better left dead. Dammit.

--Mr Bill

Sorry, I just thought of two more...:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUSXg23lKK0

--Cliff Richard... "A Little In Love"... Wow, I feel the "chill factor" right there at the bridge/chorus of the song:

("...You say you're willing to learn, but you need a friend, a friend who will help you, 'cause you're just a little in love (You Are!) A little in love (Oh, Yeah!) A little in love with someone you just like to see like me, you're in love (Oh yeah!) a little in love (You're In Love!) A little in love...")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkNDPQ4UfeU

--Cliff Richard... "Suddenly" (Duet w/ Olivia Newton-John)... Wow, here's where there's REAL "Magic"...!!!​

You'd think I'd have gotten into Cliff on the strength of those two songs, enough to buy his albums or at least a compilation album, but so far I've just been happy with just hearing him sing 'em on the radio; though certainly not recently... Guess I know of a place where I can at least pick up these two on a '45', though I've had the latter one before (released under Olivia Newton-John, from the movie XANADU...)

Dave :neutral:inkshield: :cry:

I swear I'm going to lock this thread. Don't trifle with me! Hold me back, hold me back! Don't think I won't do it!

Mr Bill said:
I swear I'm going to --...

Well, until we run out of Sad Songs, that'll have to wait...

Otherwise, you've got this Thread saying...:

51G3XZDQ5AL.jpg

--And songs about that and other Punk-related profundity and its rebellious, sexist (and misogynistic) imagery, violent diatribe, profane statements and other kinds of ultra-nihilistic, self-depreciating demeanor, witless obsessions with death, wanton belligerence, juvenile delinquency, and war-like depravity, can be the SADDEST Songs of all...!!! :sad:

Dave :laugh:

<Deep Thought Extractor Mode: ON>
This thread makes me feel suicidal.
<Deep Thought Extractor Mode: OFF>

--Mr Bill

Dave said:
Another Bobby Goldsboro: "The Gentle Of A Man"; :sad:

Last song, Side 1 of Come Back Home, which also has a sad title-track, that also appears on his Tenth Anniversary Album... :cry:

Dave

~ ...And... ~

Dave said:
Bobby Goldsboro "The Gentle Of A Man", especially with its sort'a preachy Harry Chapin quality; last track, Side 1 on his 1971 album Come Back Home... :sad:

And a few other tracks on that album are "weepers", ('cept for the hopeful-sounding cover of Elton John's "Your Song") too... :cry:

Dave

Yow, I think I posted the SAME SONG twice!!! :o

Well, anyway, to compensate, the 2nd song on Side 2 of COME BACK HOME is "The Gold Hill Hotel", which you see a picture of on the back cover of COME BACK HOME's predecessor, WE GOTTA START LOVIN' (Bobby is sitting on a bench in what seems to be "Mark Twain's" Virginia City) and there's a photo of Bobby sitting on another small bench with the GOLD HILL HOTEL SIGN in the background...

Birth..., (Actually to an unwed mother, forced to leave her home by her irate parents) Death..., (One of Natural Causes, the other a Suicide) A Lonely, Shut-In Druggie..., (Or just some drug usin', pot smokin' recluse)... :bandit:

And a few other vignettes and archetypes taking residence, such as a pair or newlyweds on their Honeymoon...! While children play in the park and the courthouse is allowing a picnic on the grounds... ("...Isn't life so very peaceful in our town...?")

The desk clerk at this "hotel" is obviously busy reading a book, and paying absolutely no mind to all this unscrupulous and mysterious activity going on in his Inn, which he chooses to Ignore...!

Dave

Dave said:
Yow, I think I posted the SAME SONG twice!!!

It's okay, KKD -- we've come to expect repetition ad nauseum from you as well as over use of color and smilies (and annoying use o' that "o'" thing and other things you do)... :D

--Mr Bill
remember, any post that requires repeat reading to understand the content isn't worth reading once in the first place.

mstaft said:
"Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong. Beautiful song that makes me remember all the friends and family that have passed.

Hey, Bobby Goldsboro covered it, too... On his 1969 album, "Today"... Yes, the LOUIS ARMSTRONG version, though you know what writers are listed in parenthesis under it? Lou Adler, Herb Alpert and a "B" Campbell... Now, THAT'S Sad...!!! :cry:

Guess Bobby was gonna give us "Don't much about history..." like Sam Cooke did a decade earlier, but somehow he must'a changed his mind and gave us the Louis Armstrong song from a year earlier, instead...

I have "Today" on a two-fer CD with one of his earlier albums, It's Too Late, of which you could call the title-track a sad song, as well as "When Your Love Has Gone" (covered by Chad & Jeremy) and "Nothin's As Bad As Bein' Lonely" (with a Herb Alpert-styled trumpet solo in there, too)...

Dave

--Wishing that someone would get serious about Reissuing Bobby Goldsboro's work, besides two-fer'ing a few titles of every-OTHER album and even reissuing one TWICE (though two different companies made the reissue of that LP)... Oh, well... Ever since I got my new phonograph needle, my vinyl has never sounded better... 'Cept I can't play my records in my car...! :sad:

Mr Bill said:
(this topic needs a spike driven through its heart...)

--Mr Bill

Perhaps we should start a new thread:

Sad topics or threads that make me cry.

Just kidding, Dave! Happy Holidays,

Mike

-- :laugh:

Bobby Goldsboro, "Blue Autumn", as well as "She Chased Me" from Blue Autumn... Word Pictures' "Autumn Of My Life", "Look Around (It's Christmas Time)", "The World Beyond", "A Dis-Satisfied Man" (written by Alex Harvey), "Letter To Emily" and the last song, "Maggie"... And the bonus Non-LP Christmas '45', "A Christmas Wish", which was later covered by "another Bobby", Bobby Sherman...!

"Ain't That Livin'", another one (also written by Alex Harvey) from "Today", which I had "stuck in my head" at the breakfast buffet at the hotel in Honolulu, HI where me and my wife stayed at on our honeymoon... Maybe 'cause I would "...Wake and find some bacon frying somewhere..." "...Work for breakfast..., ...Drink the coffee..., Taste the bacon..., ...Ain't that lovin'...? ...Ain't that Livin'...?"

Dave :jester:

Bobby Goldsboro's morbid and cryptic break-up song, "Graveyards Of Your Mind", from his 1970 album, Muddy Mississippi Line...

And I believe on his Greatest Hits LP that followed, you see that "said graveyard" on the back cover...

(Bobby is standing in a cemetery next to a tombstone...)
tombstone.gif

Dave

Dave said:
Madonna -- "Borderline": ...Just try to understand, I've given all I can...'Cause you got the best of me...

First song I heard that I was REALLY sentimental about! :cry: Tried it on a '45', first, before buying her debut album...

Dave

~ ...And... ~

Dave said:
Madonna "Borderline"; think it's OK to list this one... Ah, listen to the lyrics: "...If you want me let me know, baby let it show, honey don't you fool around; just try to understand, I'm givin' all I can, 'cause you got the best of me; Boderline, feels like I'm goin' to lose my mind, you just keep pushin' my love over the borderline..."

The electric piano at the beginning made me think this was Stephanie Mills' "Never Been Loved Like This Before", and then years later I heard this again, or thought it was Madonna's "Border...", but it WAS Stephanie Mills' "Never Been..."...

Dave

Uh, oh... It looks like I posted the same song two times again... :freak:

Now what? :help:

"Get Into The Groove"; from Madonna's movie, Desperately Seeking Susan, gets an (other) honorable mention, for the credits roll at the end of the movie to a "different mix" (from the other-wise only available 12") of the song, that I tried to capture on tape (and unfortunately I believe someone (and not yours truly) "coughed" at the end and spoiled it)...!

Here! --New Sad Song:

Poco "Crazy Love"... Well, when I first heard it I had no idea who the song or group was... I heard it on a family drive and we were lost in a bad neighborhood... A car frequently in front of us (maybe he was also lost) that had only one brake light working on the driver's side, is something else I remember seeing, too...

The acoustic guitar at the beginning of "Crazy Love" very much resembles the guitar intro to Kenny Rogers' "The Gambler" and it was easy for me to confuse the two...

Finally heard the Poco song on the radio and taped it off the air, but the station identification, at least shouted, instead of sung, (SEE-KAY-ELL-DOUBLE-U!!!) blared out at the end...

Finally found out the title (after much asking my parents "What that song was that we heard when we were lost and following the car with the burnt-out tailight in front of us who also might'a been lost?") and got a hold of this long-lost gem on Poco's BACKTRACKS compilation on a used cassette...

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom