🎵 AotW Classics The Sandpipers THE WONDER OF YOU (SP-4180)

What is your favorite track?

• LET GO

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • THAT NIGHT

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • WAVE

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • YELLOW DAYS

• LO MUCHO QUE TE QUIERO

• PRETTY FLAMINGO

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • THE WONDER OF YOU

• TEMPTATION

• THE WINDMILLS OF YOUR MIND

• IF I WERE THE MAN

• KUMBAYA

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
THE SANDPIPERS
THE WONDER OF YOU
A&M SP-4180
SandpipersWonderOfYou.jpg
Available on LP, cassette, 8-track. Available on CD from Collectors' Choice as a two-fer with MISTY ROSES (B0006948-02)

Tracks:
Side One
1. LET GO (Baden Powell-Norman Gimbel) 3:00
2. THAT NIGHT (Theme from "The Fox") (Norman Gimbel-Lalo Schifrin) 3:11
3. WAVE (Antonio Carlos Jobim) 2:30
4. YELLOW DAYS (Alan Bernstein-Alvarro Carillo) 3:02
5. LO MUCHO QUE TE QUIERO (The More I See You) (S.Ibarra-Rene Ornelas-Rene Herrera) 3:08
6. PRETTY FLAMINGO (Mark Barkan) 2:37

Side Two
1. THE WONDER OF YOU (Baker Knight) 2:38
2. TEMPTATION (Arthur Freed-Nacio Brown) 2:53
3. THE WINDMILLS OF YOUR MIND (Theme from "The Thomas Crown Affair") (Marilyn & Alan Bergman-Michel Legrand) 2:50
4. IF I WERE THE MAN (Jimmie Rodgers) 3:03
5. KUMBAYA (Adapt.& Arr. A. Lawton) 2:41

Producer: Allen Stanton
Arranger: Nick DeCaro
Engineer: Dick Bogert
Art Direction: Tom Wilkes
Photography: Cover: Tom Wilkes Back Cover: Jim McCrary

(Uncredited)
The Sandpipers are:
Jim Brady
Mike Piano
Richard Shoff
and sometimes Pamela Ramcier

This album is also available on stereo tapes.
Write for a free full-color A&M Record Catalogue.
A&M RECORDS INC, 1416 North La Brea, Hollywood, Calif. 90028

amlogosm-jpg.63

This seems to be a fairly highpoint of their career... The harmonies & material as well as the arrangements show an increasing range of advancement & depth...

Of course the album kicks off with an explosive Brasilian romp in "Let Go (Canto De Osanha)", popularized by Tamba 4, and along with that group, Sergio Mendes, Antonio Carlos Jobim and even Herb Alpert's current excursion into Brasilian rhythms & song craft, The Sandpipers have, too, proven that the value of the Bossa Nova & the contributions to it by A&M's current crop of artists such as them & a few others to be very legion...

Also in the "center of song-exchange" is the cover of Jimmie Rodgers "If I Were The Man", he, himself had recorded, AC Jobim's "Wave", (which like versions by other vocalists, features the lyrics, while otherwise had mostly been done instrumentally particularly by the composer), the Baker Knight-written title track made famous by Elvis Presley (and must have been such a great number that The Sandpipers had included it again on their next album) as well as their rousing take on "Temptation" boasting a horn solo, whereas the single version features a guitar in its place and the rockin', rollin' Native American lullabye of "Kumbaya", tacked on at the end... "Pretty Flamingo", originally by Mannfred Mann, which had also seen remakes by Rod Stewart and Tommy Roe, gets my pick, as its sung with ease, finesse, and a well-conceived, relaxed groove...

In all, a climactic moment for The Sandpipers capping off their joyous & successful decade, in being A&M's Four Freshmen/Lettermen...

-- Dave

Still think Sergio and Brasil '66 could have had the definitive version of "Let Go." Much more their type of record.

I'm a sucker for "Kumbaya." The Seekers' version if my fave (Tommy Leonetti had the hit single), but this one's pretty good, too. Otherwise, typically bland Sandpipers album.

:ed:

Back
Top Bottom