The Singles 1969-1973 SACD and SHM (New Releases)

I ordered from CDJapan. Great service and always reliable.

I agree and they ship exactly when it's released and they were really good about emailing those that pre-ordered this months ago about it being delayed multiple times. They also have a points system so the more you buy the more points you get, this always helps on your next order to save shipping costs. I have already used my points and pre-ordered the next releases The Singles 74-78.

I tend to concur. For one thing, this release contains close-to-original mixes. The recordings were tinkered with for the purposes of this LP originally, and they were only slightly tinkered with. So when one compares a track with the 5.1 SACD, you're comparing original mixes with remixes.

Comparing each of these with like mixes from other discs, the new mastering wins just about every time - even against the MFSL version of A SONG FOR YOU. Using Raz's tune for comparison, "Hurting Each Other", many of the compilations have a bit of a gritty sound in the highs, but not the new SACD mastering. It's much smoother. The MFSL A SONG FOR YOU version has the smoother highs, but also a boomier bass. This new mastering is just right.

And yes, I would recommend that anyone on the fence should bite the bullet and get these while they're available. The Platinum version has two dates:

[14-3-26 14-9-25]

I always thought those dates on Japanese releases indicated the selling window, but later learned that the second date was the end of the window for this particular pricing scheme. Sometimes releases are sold later, sometimes they disappear.

The SACD doesn't have two dates that I can see, just the same start date of [14-3-26] followed by some Japanese characters. I don't know what that means, but in today's selling economy, I'd bet that it's a limited edition that won't be repeated.

Harry

Thanks for explaining...that makes sense since the LP that has the embossed logos also has the original shrink wrap (opened) and it still has the original promo stickers on the outside, however it was missing the large brown booklet insert so I ended up finding another LP (the non-embossed one) at a local record store just to get the booklet.

I agree with both of you....the 2014 SHM-CD mastering is really nice...I find it really warm sounding, the closest I have heard to an LP version. As I mentioned, I have been tossing back and forth track by track from the 2014 SHM-CD to the Remastered Classics CD just to compare the sound and I find the 2014 SHM-CD a better mastering, by the time I reached the end of the tracks, I was not enjoying the remastered classics sound as much as I did previously. The compression is evident on the remastered classics and up till now I didn't have another CD to compare it against...now I do and I prefer the SHM-CD.

I have an audiophile LP of The Singles 69-73 and I still think (LP wise) that thing sounds fantastic. If there's a regal LP of the Carpenters, this is the one.

If I could replace all my standard jewel case CD's with a Japan mini Lp design housed in a plastic protective sealed sleeve I would do it in a heartbeat. They just look and feel so nice, the SHM-CD doesn't come in a box like the others and it's slimline look and packed so nice and tight, it's a pleasure just to pick up and re-file away and they take up so little space. I recently just bought Olivia's latest CD, Hotel Sessions (demo tracks she recorded from 2002-2011 in various hotels in Australia) recorded with her nephew, I got it in the mail yesterday and I immediately said, Oh another jewel case and space I don't have on my shelf. They take up so much space.

Oh I forgot....I noticed that date you mentioned on the back cover and your right on the SHM-SACD it just says 14-3-26 and some japanese writing in a box to the right. So I have this app on my iphone called text grabber and it will convert any language to your language by snapping a pic and letting it convert. It's a bit small so it had a hard time reading it but after a few more tries, it looks like it's just the same date but in Japanese at least that is what the text grabber is saying.

Do you think it was just coincidence that this was released on the same week that Carpenters celebrate 45th anniversary with A&M records April 22, 1969 and new 2014 mastering The Singles 69-73 released on April 23, 2014.

So is this our 45th anniversary gift?

I think we should consider ourselves gifted. I'm wondering will the 50th anny package be a ltd catalog re-issue on SACD? Or the next format or remastering technique. I do like having RC on hand and his delicate touch, sophisticated ear and passion for his works. Bernie Grundman as well. Who in our circle doesn't love Bernie? I thought BG had passed but apparently I'm incorrect. Well, with the 50 round the corner the ultimate touch would be from Richard and Bernie. God forbid someone w/o the ear dibble dabbles. Oh hell I'd buy those too. Bring em on...like I have nothing better to do. Gonna hang up here and pre-order Singles 74-78 on platinum and SACD.

Jeff

Thanks for your all's guidance, I've officially placed my order with CDJapan! I'm so excited! I ended up ordering Singles 69-73 SACD and I pre-ordered Singles 74-78 SACD. To earn more CDJapan points AND because ASFY is my favorite album, I also ordered the ASFY SHM-CD. I'm stoked.
:goodie:

Last edited:
Amy, I'm not saying this will happen to you but just wanted you to be aware. It sounds like you placed 1 order for both the SHM's just released and the upcoming SHM's in June all on one order.

Let me tell you what happen to me. When the new SHM's went up for pre-order (the ones that were just released this past week) I pre-ordered them back in Oct or Nov but also on the same order I ordered a Carpenters DVD through them. So when the SHM's were set to release back in Dec 18, the DVD I also ordered was available to ship on Nov 29, I said (to myself) oh I don't mind waiting for the DVD till Dec when the SHM's were ready so it was no big deal....However when the SHM got pushed back from Dec to April. I reached out to CDJapan and said, the DVD is available now, please ship it now and keep my pre-order for the SHM till April. They wrote back and said sorry, everything I ordered will be shipped when the SHM is released, I said What? The DVD is ready now, if I wait till April (4 months away) the DVD may go out of print, then I won't get it. They said I could cancel the pre-order I did and place another order separately for the DVD and then another order for the pre-order SHM's.

I was really upset because that was a lot for a customer to have to go through order, cancel and re-order. But I was left with no option.
So if I was you...just watch and make sure your SHM's get mailed in the next 3 or 4 days (because they are available now) if you don't get an email, make sure they don't do to you what they did to me by holding your order till June when the 74-78 SHM's get released. (If you placed every thing on 1 order.

Maybe they changed there policy since then but I learned the hard way.

Reading the posts regarding these new releases makes me quite envious.
As I have no SACD player, obviously I do not plan to acquire the new SACD releases.
However, I do so enjoy reading about the enormous pleasure that everyone here is feeling upon hearing the new cd's.
I can (at least) empathize with the excitement everyone feels upon hearing a new Carpenters release.
Needless to say, I am jealous. :)
But, so happy for those bathed in the sonic beauty of Carpenters music!
I may purchase the new SHM-cd, though. :)

Well after listening to all the favourable reviews and seeing the stunningly gorgeous packaging - I have ordered both the singles 1969-1973 and 1974 - 1978 platinum SHM cd's.
I dont have an SACD player but I htink i should still notice an improvement with the new masterings.
One thing i wondered Harry - did they sort out the slightly muffled version of 'for all we know' on the singles cd?
Really looking forward to receiving it - i ordered from cd japan and was a very smooth transaction.

Bob

One thing i wondered Harry - did they sort out the slightly muffled version of 'for all we know' on the singles cd?

That track has always sounded a bit "muffled" to me, and this release is no different. Other masterings have attempted to brighten it up, but it then sounds harsh and gritty. It's that way on the old A&M CD of SINGLES 1969-1973, and toned down for the 1998 mastering. I can say that it sounds a bit smoother here, less gritty, allowing for the listener to enjoy it at higher volumes without discomfort.

Harry

It looks like CDJapan is now showing the SHM-CD Singles 69-73 (the regular SHM-CD) is no longer "in stock" like the others...it now says usually ships in 3 to 5 bus days. It looks like they have run out of in stock copies for this release.

This is a sign....these things are selling!!!

It looks like CDJapan is now showing the SHM-CD Singles 69-73 (the regular SHM-CD) is no longer "in stock" like the others...it now says usually ships in 3 to 5 bus days. It looks like they have run out of in stock copies for this release.

This is a sign....these things are selling!!!

Chris-

I took your advice and checked into my shipping times on my items. I appreciate you saying something. As I was completing my order, it gave me an option and I thought I chose the correct one to where the available stuff would ship, but I hadn't. I canceled the Singles 1974 - 1978 SACD so my other stuff would ship. Will preorder it again separately.

Always looking out for a fellow fan. Thanks friend!

Amy :)

Cool, glad it worked out for you.
I think another problem I had back then was I used paypal and I think with them if you use paypal you can't change anything on the order. Oh well...I know now that if I order something on a pre-order I will keep those orders separate from others that are available now.

I just noticed that now not only is the regular SHM-CD pushed to 3-5 days to ship but now the SHM-SACD is no longer "in stock" it is now showing 3-5 days.

It would be cool to know how many of these are being produced as "limited edition"

My package came yesterday from Japan!!!
:goodie:

I was here to accept it and then we went on a day trip, so I didn't get to listen until today. I got the SHM SACD. Wow!

I have a stupid question. The two circular stickers that came in the package...where do you stick them? Or do you? I'm clueless because when I was old enough to purchase music, cassettes were the most widely distributed format.
:shrug:

Those stickers were placed by the manufacturers on the outside of the original LP shrinkwrap. What we're supposed to do with the mini version is anyone's guess. I've just left them inside the box, down underneath the "obi" that I've placed in the bottom of the box. This way they won't spill out and get lost. I suppose you could stick them to the face of the gatefold jacket (?)

Harry

I received my copy from CDJapan today. It's wonderful to hear it sounding so faithful to the original LP release. I especially love having the original single mix of "Yesterday Once More", my favorite, sounding so great on CD again. Although the original mix of it was included on that very first CD release of The Singles, it sounds much better and warmer here, as many of you have said.

Looking forward to the release of The Singles 1974-78 now! I wonder if they will reproduce the cover in the metallic gold just as the LP was? :)

Well, I finally ordered my copy of the Singles SACD. Can't wait to compare and hear differences. I wish it didn't take so long to ship from Japan. I think we US fans deserve to have new releases available in the US so we wouldn't have to spend a fortune on these treasures. I guess I shouldn't complain. It is fun to collect and hear all the differences though.

Finally have the time to really sit down and listen to the new SACD and I'm enjoying every second of it! It may not be multi-channel, but man does it sound good.
The opening of "Ticket to ride" for instance sounds so clear and pristine, but then the sound just opens up on the chorus and makes me warm all over. What a thrill! And the piano at the end, while the vocals are repeating "think I'm gonna be sad" was surely never as audible as here. "Top of the world" has such a warm sound on this edition, like you could just wrap yourself up in the sound. The bass on "Superstar" sounds gorgeously present and when Karen let's rip on the chorus it brings tears to my eyes. And her intimate reading at the beginning of "Rainy days and Mondays" sounds like she's singing into my ear, even though I'm sitting a few meters from my speakers. Tony Peluso's guitar solo at the end of "Goodbye to love" crashes over you in all its brilliance (kudos to Richard for letting the man go loose!). But the sensational backing vocals that accompany it are just as tantalising to my ears on this edition. Love the non-reverb lead vocal on "Yesterday once more" which doesn't blend into the wonderful backing vocals as much as I remember but stays remarkably upfront as I feel it should.
I could go on and on.

Can't wait for the second singles instalment later this year. It will be sheer bliss listening to "Only yesterday", "Love song" and "Occupants" in this sound quality. What am I saying?! It would be sheer bliss listening to ANY Carpenters track in this sound quality.

Well I received it today - it is absolutely WONDERFUL!!
I have the platinum shm cd version.
It sounds so smooth and crystal clear - this is 100% going to be my default complilation disc now to listen to. If the 1974-1978 version is as good, then they will become my two primary discs. I might keep my UK ultimate edition at hand, for the later tracks, not included in these two discs.
I was blown away by the opening lines of 'goodbye to love' - never before have heard Karens vocals on this track so utterly perfect. It really is like she is just there, in the room with you!
For all we know does sound better Harry, on the other versions i feel the vocal is slightly muffled, or buried in the mix slightly - I've felt like i have wanted to turn the volume up before, but on this mastering, it's just right i feel.
If you are in two minds anyone, then i would grab the chance while you can.
I have heard instruments so much better than before, but not in the remixed way where they have been added etc, this is just so natural.
VERY PLEASED INDEED!
(Even if i was clobbered for £21 import duty ($35))!!

Well I finally got on the stick and ordered Singles 74-78 on platinum shmcd and the SACD. Couldn't resist. I detest that 'left out' feeling. I kick myself that I bought only one of the MFSL copy A SONG FOR YOU. There were oodles at Tower Records back in the day. Got smart with the 5.1 deal tho. Three unopened and my original copy plus a copy from a used record store sold for peanuts. Dumb a** had NO idea what I was absconding with and didn't tell em neither. I adore this effort out of Japan and the attn. to detail is breathtaking. Perfection at its most divine. I was gonna skip the 74-78 thing but the re-recorded Can't Smile Without You is here and I prefer it over the original HUSH release. The HUSH versions ending o-dubs sound strained like TICKET's Someday ending. Not balanced or whatever. The rerecord seems to have tamed that. The 'into the new leavin the old behind me' HUSH thing compelled me to by eight trax, cassettes, new lps all trying to see if my perceived flaw could be eradicated. Same thing with Someday. I remember thinking the whole ding dang batch of distortion was shipped to Portland. I knew that RC would never have let this pass in the studio so I was convinced I solely attracted the flaw. What'd I know? I'm still hopin for a catalog reissue out of Japan with the sacd format. I wouldn't be surprised if all these efforts haven't sparked something. Oh yeah, must include KAREN CARPENTER the DELUXE Edition and here I believe a little TIME would go nicely as well. In all fairness if TIME has a chest full of outtakes throw them on too.

Jeff

Now it looks like there's a new vinyl version of this album coming out in late May:

http://www.amazon.com/Singles-1969-1973-Carpenters/dp/B00JSRXF80/

No further info, and everywhere I looked reported it as an import. well, it has to be imported from somewhere...

Harry

I'm wary if they don't even list a record label for it (it simply shows "Imports"). $39.99 US is the cheapest price of the Amazon locations I checked (UK, DE, JP). And they also showed this as an import.

I'd wait until release day to see what pans out.

Still...May 27...it would be an expensive few weeks with this, the Led Zep reissues (of I, II, III), etc. :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom