"The Singles, 1969-1981" SACD Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's ashame. Truth be told, though, it's the only SACD I have. So I've pretty much bought a machine for the sole purpose of playing one SACD.

I thought the SACD format would take off when the Sony PlayStation 3 hit the market (since that format is compatible with the machine), but since the PS3 hasn't taken off, not so much!

There are still a lot of titles available, in print or plentiful in used condition. I'm trying to pick up any I can, that I *really* want, before they disappear. There are still some current SACD and DVD-A releases coming out: the Genesis albums are in SACD overseas, but readily available through many online retailers. (The mixes and processing on the Genesis SACDs leave a lot to be desired, though: I've heard some of them...)

If you want more SACD or DVD-A recommendations, I'd gladly start up a new thread. Richard did an excellent job mixing this SACD, and there are plenty others out there that had similar attention paid to them.

Thanks for this information, Rudy!

If you do have any suggestions, suggest away! I find that CD selection leaves a lot to be desired in Canada -- I can rarely even find the Herb Alpert remastered CDs here, for example -- and so niche markets such as SACD (and DVD-A) are even less represented. About the only SACDs I could find at the local Best Buy were Elton John and Peter Gabriel, so I gave up!

The retailers don't carry SACD or DVD-A anymore, unless it's a fluke.

If you have your system set up for surround sound, then I'd probably recommend a different batch than if you were just running in two-channel. Also, does your player handle DVD-A? There are a few good titles there as well--a couple are rare now, so I don't even know if I'd recommend them anymore (unless a person had deep pockets :D ).

My system is set up for surround sound, but it can play only SACD (and not DVD-A). It was actually hard enough just finding a machine that could play SACD. (Plus, only after I got it home did I learn that I needed standard RCA cables for each of the six channels, as opposed to the optical cable I'd bought that could run everything else. It's a good thing I know Carpenters music as well as I do, 'cause that's what helped me diagnose that some channels were being dropped!)

I have a Pioneer that plays absolutely everything. I got it at Myer-Emco a few years ago and I've been quite happy with it. I'm sure they're still out there.

Ed

ThaFunkyFakeTation said:
I have a Pioneer that plays absolutely everything. I got it at Myer-Emco a few years ago and I've been quite happy with it. I'm sure they're still out there.

Ed

Hey Ed--which one do you have? I first got an Elite DV-45A, and also have a DV-578A. They're both reliable and play anything I throw at 'em, but I'd actually like to get a Denon (my buddy has one, and it has a smoother sound to it). A company named Oppo is making some universal players as well. Pioneer still has some as well--the last "budget" universal I knew of was the DV-588, but I don't know if it's still in production. Tempted to get one for my bedroom system.

One other thing: if your player is capable, DTS still has surround music discs available, and they sound decent (seeing that they're a data-compressed format). It's the only way to hear some of these recordings in surround.

I'll throw a list together of some of my favorites and post it in a bit...

Metoo, I think what Harry meant was selling from well known retail outlets, of course this CD will be available from "sellers" for a long time to come. Sometimes sellers on Amazon are just like sellers from say ebay. This CD will still be for sale on places like ebay for awhile but I wouldn't wait too long if you are planning to buy it, I learned the hard way.

Rudy said:
ThaFunkyFakeTation said:

Ed

Hey Ed--which one do you have? I first got an Elite DV-45A, and also have a DV-578A. They're both reliable and play anything I throw at 'em, but I'd actually like to get a Denon (my buddy has one, and it has a smoother sound to it). A company named Oppo is making some universal players as well. Pioneer still has some as well--the last "budget" universal I knew of was the DV-588, but I don't know if it's still in production. Tempted to get one for my bedroom system.

I have the DV-45A. I'm quite happy with the sound it gets. It's purpose has changed somewhat now that I have a PS-3. Now, it only gets used for DVD-Audio since PS-3 plays SACD, Blu-Ray, and up-converts my regular DVD's and makes 'em look really nice.

Ed

Rudy said:
One other thing: if your player is capable, DTS still has surround music discs available, and they sound decent (seeing that they're a data-compressed format). It's the only way to hear some of these recordings in surround.

I'll throw a list together of some of my favorites and post it in a bit...

I have two DTS discs: "II" by Boyz II Men and "The End Of The Innocence" by Don Henley. Henley's disc is decent - though I wish it were available as a DVD-Audio disc 'cause I think the separation would be better. "II", on the other hand, is disastrous. The soundstage is awkward, instruments are missing in the mix, and the whole thing just sounds limp. Terrible disc. Ever since I got that disc, I've been leery of others and have just stuck to DVD-Audio discs with the occasional SACD thrown in for good measure.

Ed

davidgra said:
Listening to the center channel alone is quite the experience, since it is mostly just Karen with some bass guitar and drums. It gives it sort of the sound of a jazz combo.

I'm having access right now to all the tracks from this cd with center channel only, is it allowed to share them here?

richard_sloat said:
I'm having access right now to all the tracks from this cd with center channel only, is it allowed to share them here?

We prefer that copyrighted material isn't posted here. Feel free to share them in "Private Messages" with anyone.

Harry

I know that the software for the message board updates our avatars, signatures, etc....but it's still very eerie to review the messages on this page and see "Michael Jackson 1958-2009" on Ed's posts from 2007.

Michael Hagerty said:
I know that the software for the message board updates our avatars, signatures, etc....but it's still very eerie to review the messages on this page and see "Michael Jackson 1958-2009" on Ed's posts from 2007.

WOW! Yeah it is. What an odd feeling I've got now...

Ed

I just ran into this funny review...

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/2474

Review by Compression Must Die

February 21, 2005 (6 of 15 found this review helpful)

I bought this disc primarily for the WAF (wife approval factor). My wife has enjoyed the "improved" 2-channel SACD layer for what it is, a collection of soft rock tunes. Karen Carpenter's voice still sounds great, even if the material is dated.

During our listening sessions I have pretty much kept my opinions to myself though. Not even the benefits of DSD/SACD mastering can save the majority of these tracks from death by compression. This disc really could be the poster child for a "you can't make crappy source material sound better by remastering it" national campaign.

Little if any improvements are made to the sound of the backing instruments, save a couple. You CAN hear the lower register of Richard Carpenter's piano more clearly. You can also hear the drums more clearly (though whether you'd want to is subject to debate). Subtle improvements may also exist in the vocals, but the overall compression is so bad on this one that I cannot bear to listen to it without my wife.

Only the last track has any degree of fidelity. While the viability of the tune and its precepts are easily mocked, track 21 (Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft) actually does sound good. All the instruments and vocals are clear. It makes you wonder what the rest of the disc would be like sans death by compression.

Buy it for the WAF only....

Someone has their undies in a bunch over...compression? Yeah, some of us hung out at a forum like that once, but to be honest, there's a difference between compression and brickwall limiting. I did notice compression on the SACD, BUT...that was there on the original recordings. It's a production technique--all engineers use it.

Some out there just seem to be self-proclaimed experts in sound quality, making assumptions of engineering moves that they weren't even in the studio to witness.

And to be honest, I've heard the SACD over my own system and another that is probably way more expensive than mine (hell, the SACD player alone probably cost more than my entire system)...I think it sounds fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom