The very best of herb alpert

I have this cd which says on a stamper "Disc Made in England" its a good collectors treat in my opinion which featured the single edit of "Rise " for the first time on cd along with alternate versions of" Diamonds"."Keep your eye on me". And "Jump Street". ( I think those are what make this complilation very unique.)

I believe @pufnstuf1969 was referring to the video program that was part of the same series as your CD, @Bobberman .

PolyGram Video released a video title called THE VERY BEST OF HERB ALPERT on VHS tape in the UK and on LaserDisc in Japan. I've done my own conversion from the LaserDisc to a DVD-R and made the following artwork for a CD-sized jewel-case:

VBestDVD1.jpg
VBestDVD2.jpg

This special video used TV clips from the TjB TV specials and combined it with latter-day solo videos. The whole thing was "Produced and Edited by Lani Hall Alpert". Finding this video in the US is problematic as the VHS tape from the UK won't play in US players and has to go through a conversion process by someone with the capability of doing so. The conversion leaves the video looking a little jerky.

The LaserDisc is very rare, but converts very easily. It's only problem is the occasional burned-in Japanese subtitles.

The CD from Canada and the UK had a different track listing, though it used similar artwork.

Harry

I believe @pufnstuf1969 was referring to the video program that was part of the same series as your CD, @Bobberman .

PolyGram Video released a video title called THE VERY BEST OF HERB ALPERT on VHS tape in the UK and on LaserDisc in Japan. I've done my own conversion from the LaserDisc to a DVD-R and made the following artwork for a CD-sized jewel-case:

VBestDVD1.jpg
VBestDVD2.jpg

This special video used TV clips from the TjB TV specials and combined it with latter-day solo videos. The whole thing was "Produced and Edited by Lani Hall Alpert". Finding this video in the US is problematic as the VHS tape from the UK won't play in US players and has to go through a conversion process by someone with the capability of doing so. The conversion leaves the video looking a little jerky.

The LaserDisc is very rare, but converts very easily. It's only problem is the occasional burned-in Japanese subtitles.

The CD from Canada and the UK had a different track listing, though it used similar artwork.

Harry
Thanks for the info Harry I was not Aware of any Video version of this Album ever being made until now. I do remember reading somewhere that polygram discarded a lot of stuff when they took over A&M and some of the TJB Videos were possibly among those lost ( I HOPE THAT ISN'T THE CASE.) But i too would love to have this on either VHS Or DVD ( At least compatible with my equipment) Let's Hope For A Reissue of this Rarity.

The video version is very good (albeit of variable technical quality) and a nice compilation of Herb's video material in one package.

This VHS was also released in Australia - and was rare even when new - in fact I saw this in the shops once only which is when I purchased it. Have subsequently copied to DVD - looks very nice too (and no subtitles) with a DVD cover which I also converted from the VHS case artwork.

This VHS was also released in Australia

Yeah, it's difficult to know for sure just exactly where every release was worldwide. I don't even recall now, were Aussie VHS tapes compatible with any other country worldwide? Were they the same as the UK?

Yeah, it's difficult to know for sure just exactly where every release was worldwide. I don't even recall now, were Aussie VHS tapes compatible with any other country worldwide? Were they the same as the UK?

Yes Australian VHS used PAL format which is the same as UK, so these tapes are easily copied on a DVD recorder which has the same format settings (which is the problem people run into when they try copy tapes from another country ie. NTSC or PAL depending on which country you are in). The alternative using a computer program usually has mixed results and never usually as good as a straight DVD recorder conversion.

I buyed that VHS VIDEO on ebay couple of years ago for about 25 dollars i think,and it was in a great condition and it still is but i havent seen it more on ebay or other sites,its very difficult to find it

I buyed that VHS VIDEO on ebay couple of years ago for about 25 dollars i think,and it was in a great condition and it still is but i havent seen it more on ebay or other sites,its very difficult to find it
It is a true rarity in every sense of the word.

A real treat with this VHS is the audio track over the opening and closing credits - Ode To The Sun - an Alpert original, which strangely never appeared on any Herb CD. It's a superb track. Previously discussed in this forum, and kindly posted by a member here:

Yep. That's my video. At the time, I took the pieces from the opening and closing of the video and attempted a connecting of the two. It sort-of worked, but after posting the video, someone saw it - someone who had the original promotional track, sent it to me, and I learned that the two halves I put together are in fact in reverse order!

The piece actually starts with a recitation by none other than the late Charleton Heston on the subject of "Love". Then the music starts and goes for about seven minutes or so. The music was a collaboration between Herb Alpert and the late Michel Colombier (WINGS).

Harry

IIRC, it was used in the promo videos for Herb's LISTEN perfume. I haven't looked at them in some time, but now may be a good time for a refresher.

It was also used in some documentary about Herb's paintings, as I recall. Good track wherever you can find it.

Back
Top Bottom