TICKET TO RIDE

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi guys

curious about a couple of things, so thought I`d ask here. as they say, the only stupid question is the one not asked and given I don`t know ........
the 12 inch vinyl album of ticket to ride, I notice comes in two different ways, for the point of discussion, a normal way and the other, by HAMLET.
so my question/s is, what`s the difference and who are hamlet? why would they bring out the same album?
any difference in collectable value?

TICKET%20TO%20RIDE_zpsip0tdqid.jpg

TICKET%20TO%20RIDE%20HAMLET_zpskadieykg.jpg

Hamlet was a budget label subsidiary of A&M in the UK. TICKET TO RIDE, being the first album and not a huge seller in its own right was often shipped out to budget labels to move product at discounted prices. The US had one of these too called Rebound.

After having this album cover once again thrust before my eyes, it's beyond casual: the nondescript, earth-tone, solid-color T-shirts and jeans. --- Yes, I know they're on a sailboat, and maybe they were trying to give a nod to the California sound, if not specifically to the Beach Boys. I guess it's an improvement, though, over the original Offering photo...

But I have to say it's no wonder they tried to dress up some for their next album (Close to You). The Close to You cover photo is much maligned, but I like the attempt at style and formality, and you still get the beautiful scenery!

This photo was done AFTER the CLOSE TO YOU photo sessions. It was used when the album was reissued AFTER CLOSE TO YOU was a big success.

The Close To You cover would have been better if they'd been wearing the kind of clothes they were wearing on Ticket To Ride.

I came across this LP on the Internet early this week and this thread brought it to mind. It was the UK MFP (Music for Pleasure) label release with the two additional hits on it--the cover was posted in another old thread here, but as for the tracklist, the album adds two hits from the Close To You album and deletes two others.

A1 We've Only Just Begun
A2 Your Wonderful Parade
A3 Someday
A4 Get Together
A5 All Of My Life
A6 Turn Away
B1 Ticket To Ride
B2 Don't Be Afraid
B3 What's The Use
B4 All I Can Do
B5 Eve
B6 Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing
B7 (They Long To Be) Close To You

2234873.jpg

Source: Carpenters - Ticket To Ride (LP) »

I came across this LP on the Internet early this week and this thread brought it to mind. It was the UK MFP (Music for Pleasure) label release with the two additional hits on it--the cover was posted in another old thread here, but as for the tracklist, the album adds two hits from the Close To You album and deletes two others.

A1 We've Only Just Begun
A2 Your Wonderful Parade
A3 Someday
A4 Get Together
A5 All Of My Life
A6 Turn Away
B1 Ticket To Ride
B2 Don't Be Afraid
B3 What's The Use
B4 All I Can Do
B5 Eve
B6 Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing
B7 (They Long To Be) Close To You

2234873.jpg

Source: Carpenters - Ticket To Ride (LP) »
Reminds me of similar stunts that the Pickwick Records used to do back in the day.

Hamlet was a budget label subsidiary of A&M in the UK. TICKET TO RIDE, being the first album and not a huge seller in its own right was often shipped out to budget labels to move product at discounted prices. The US had one of these too called Rebound.

The Hamlet release also came much later than 1969, it features the official logo which only came about in 1971.

I've been seeing that mfp album every now and again through the years but have never managed to buy it for one reason or another. In the old days, it seemed silly to get an album with tracks I already had. Other times, in used shops, the condition wasn't very good - either the disc was in bad shape or the cover's glue was dried up.

As I recall, the two "hits" from CLOSE TO YOU were added and the "Invocation" and "Benediction" were removed.

So you maintain that the CarpenterS logo was born in 1969 on a Hamlet release? I'm not buying it.

No, I meant that the Hamlet album must have been released in 1971 at the earliest as it's got the official logo on it, but that it features a photo from 1969 on the cover.

OK, you said "Image". I guess it could have been phrased a little better, or my understanding could have been a little better.

Does anyone know why the "Ticket To Ride" video was not made until March 1970? Would sales of the album and single have been better if the video had been available for airing around the time of the releases?

No-one was really "airing" videos in 1969 or 1970. Occasionally they were sent around to various variety shows that wanted to promote a particular group, if the group was busy and couldn't appear in-studio. The Beatles used this technique to send their songs to ED SULLIVAN and the like, but I can't recall anyone saying they had Carpenters as a guest and then showing a video.

Videos, as we've come to call them, from that era were more of a promotional tool.

Because Offering wasn't released in the UK, the repackaged Ticket to Ride was finally issued in early 1972 and charted at #20 (this version is the first pic in this thread). It was then reissued in mid-1975 as a mid-price issue on the Hamlet imprint (presumably to capitalise on the success that The Singles 1969-1973 and Horizon were having on the UK charts at the time) and charted briefly again at #35. It then got a budget reissue in late 1978 on the mfp label with the completely different sleeve and with 'We've Only Just Begun' and 'Close to You' replacing 'Invocation' and 'Benediction'.

Obviously the album was up for licensing as it wasn't ever really a main release in the UK. Similarly, Live at the Palladium was licensed out to the budget Pickwick label in the late 1980s.

My CD of Ticket To Ride is a Japanese import from Amazon for £20, it has the OBI strip and a lyrics sheet. There's one difference.... It has the original track list but it has 'Close To You' inbetween 'Turn Away' and 'Ticket To Ride'.:confused:
:)

Personally I prefer the sailboat cover. Didn't someone mention on this forum that at one point the sailboat cover was considered for the Close To You cover?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom