Tijuana Brass Live! Are There Any Recordings In The Vaults?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hurrikane

I was listening to the Herb and Hugh album from 1978 the other night and came to the conclusion that it is a live mastepiece! :thumbsup:

Is there a full recording of this show somewhere in the vaults, or possibly a film of the show?

Better yet were there ever any live recorded shows of the TJB from 1965-70? Everything I've seen on film has been a mime to the original song.

Was any of the Bullish tour recorded live?

I believe our Mr. Bill can fill you in on the Herb/Hugh live album - he was there in the audience!

Back in the '60s, there wasn't much all that much demand for live recordings, and the mechanics of getting quality recordings to the marketplace was fairly complicated, therefore little of it exists.

We do know of a 1969 recording from London's Festival Hall that was broadcast on the radio, and there are some bootlegs of the Bullish tour floating around, though quality-wise, it's quite lacking.

Herb also toured during the Passion Dance era, and there are some live recordings of those concerts floating around - one I believe from German radio of the Munich concert.

Harry
...just back from that very Munich, online...

Yes, there was a live recording of the '74 TJB group at the Oakdale Theatre in Wallingford, Connecticut. How do I know? I was there and also shot pictures of that show. I don't, however, know the current status of the master tapes.

...and for that matter, the '74 T.J.B. TV special was mostly performed live, and recorded for TV.

Harry

Safe to say there's probably something in Herb's stash, but whether we ever get to hear it is another matter. Guys like Herb have high standards, and maybe the recording or performance(s) aren't up to those standards, provided they exist.

But of course he could read this and realize all of us would take them, warts and all, anyway...

:ed:

Didn't the TJB also play "A Taste Of Honey" and "Third Man Theme" live on the Ed Sullivan show? Also, the concert footage that appears on the Beat Of The Brass special ("Taste Of Honey" and "Mame" must exist somewhere in a more complete form. I'm sure they didn't just tape a minute or two of the concert.

David,
hoping that Herb gives us more "CDS &...OTHER DELIGHTS" before he's through revisiting his past......

And to the best of MY knowledge, all I've heard live are the snippets of Struttin w/Maria from the first TJB network special, which I have on VHS. Bob Edmondson displays his antic sense of humor, running and jumping around the stage going from 'bone to cymbals. Wouldn't a live LP have been soooo sweet...

Mike: I remember seeing a routine on the "Best of Herb Alpert" video that had Edmondson darting around on trombone and cymbals--probably the same song. I'm thinking even a compilation of well-recorded live tracks from over the years would be neat.

Rudy said:
Mike: I remember seeing a routine on the "Best of Herb Alpert" video that had Edmondson darting around on trombone and cymbals--probably the same song. I'm thinking even a compilation of well-recorded live tracks from over the years would be neat.
Wow, I would LOVE that!!!!! :)

Yep = that was "Struttin' With Maria". I think they did that one in concert just to sort of joke about the fact that they were really a studio group - obviously Bob Edmondson couldn't do both cymbals and trombone at the same time.

EdmondStruttin.jpg

Photo from the video

Harry

I've often wondered about this topic. I remember reading in an audio-techy magazine around 20 years ago that Herb was lauded for being the first pop act in the 1960's to use a tape delay system on the PA system for when the TJB played large venues. If I remember right, the idea that Herb had was for the folks in the back of a large venue to be able to hear the music at the same time, and in the same synch as the people in the front rows. In the 1968 tour book, Herb's conert engineer gets a pretty big credit. It seems something from those 1967-1969 concerts could have been recorded, especially since they took so much pride in instrumental and technical quality. A release of the 1974 tour would be good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom