1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

Time for Some Love for Richard!

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Jamesj75, May 25, 2015.

1. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

I thought he was a cool guy when I met him in Las Vegas backstage at the Riviera in 1976.

Jamesj75 likes this.
  2. Jamesj75

Jamesj75 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

After doing the math... :hmmm:

@GaryAlan, great to hear your remembrances from that event, also attended by me. (I believe reading that @Harry was there, too. And maybe others?) I also remember meeting Richard and getting a nice handshake, and I was so nervous and stuttering my words of admiration. I remember being shocked by the sight of Richard smoking a cigarette! Scandalous, I know... :) But he was definitely gracious. I enjoyed the concert and, like you, treasure the meeting...

Don Malcolm likes this.
  3. Hey! I was there too! Agnes, Harold, and Mary were also there. I remember chatting with all of them!

GaryAlan and Jamesj75 like this.
  4. WYBIMLA

WYBIMLA Active Member

It's easy to forget that many artists go into the music business and only end up with maybe a hit or two.
    The Carpenters are no exception to the kind of animal the industry is. They almost didn't make it if it weren't for A&M.
    A lot of their success had to do with Richard. On the technical side of things his productions are superb quality.
    Nothing else like it. I would agree he's in line with Brain Wilson. The creation of the Carpenters sound really sold it.
    You had all the ingredients there for a really great act. It was right time, right place and they took to it immediately.
    Like they didn't stammer around, hold up production, disagree too much; they went with it. For those golden years of the early 70s, what great memories.
    Obviously, it was what they were both meant to do. Really a dynamic duo, but of course I'm a bit bias. Lol
    Being listed among one of the best selling artists is an achievement. I imagine it's not easy to tap into a wide audience like they did let alone have had longevity and still sound great after years of doing it.
    As much as conversations devolved into being angry at Richard for whatever reason... I have a lot of respect for him.
    I can get why he labeled his instrumental album the way he did. It's all true.
    Also, I agree with the title of this thread.
    If I knew an updated email address where I could send him a letter or his secretary I would.

Jamesj75 likes this.