To honor the 45th anniversary - a new tribute album

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first thread and I hope that it is not a repeat of an earlier thread. I researched and didn't find one similar.

With this being the 45th anniversary of the first number one, I thought it could be a fun exercise to develop our own tribute album. The prerequisites are:

1. Name the tribute album

2. Limit it to no more than 16 tracks - whatever YOU feel best represents their work:
  • 12 to 16 from their 'Carpenters' albums and as a bonus: 1 track from each of them solo
3. Choose the artist you would like to see perform the track - can be deceased, only if recorded the song

4. To what charity should the money go

5. and if you would like - who should produce

So here goes:

A Wonderful Parade!
An all-star tribute to the music of Karen and Richard Carpenter
Benefiting the Carpenter Family Foundation

Tracks ----- Artist
  1. Your Wonderful Parade ----- The Pet Shop Boys
  2. Someday ----- Shirley Bassey
  3. Close To You ----- Adele
  4. We've Only Just Begun ----- Oasis
  5. Rainy Days and Mondays ----- Annie Lenox
  6. Superstar ----- Sonic Youth
  7. It's Going To Take Some Time This Time ----- Lady Gaga
  8. Goodbye To Love ----- Maroon 5
  9. Yesterday Once More ----- Carrie Underwood
  10. Love Me For What I Am ----- Olivia Newton-John
  11. There's A Kind Of Hush ----- Meghan Trainor
  12. I Need To Be In Love ----- Lulu
  13. Boat To Sail ----- Bette Midler
  14. Two Sides ----- Dolly Parton
  15. Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft ----- The B-52s
  16. Now ----- Jennifer Hudson
Bonus Tracks
  1. My Body Keeps Changing My Mind ----- Cher
  2. In Love, Alone ----- Michael Buble
I think a good producer for this album would be Pharrell Williams. He has a good pulse on popular music and understands both sides of the biz - arranging and performing.

I have a feeling this will start controversy, but it is meant to be something for fun. Who's next?

Okay, Tracey, I'll bite... :) You've obviously put a lot of thought into this thread. Thanks for the fun exercise! I avoided looking at your list before constructing mine. I am clueless when it comes to producers, so I'll skip that part of your instructions. And any charity is fine with me; I like your choice, though. In my list, I have included some contemporaries of the Carpenters as well as some newer artists. And I hope you don't mind, but I have included some songs that have already been recorded; yet I feel they would fit well into such a compilation.

Title: Horizon 2015

Tracks:
  1. Solitaire.....................................................................Josh Groban
  2. Only Yesterday..........................................................Taylor Swift
  3. Let Me Be the One...................................................Diana Ross (already recorded)
  4. All You Get From Love Is a Love Song....................Elton John
  5. Please Mr. Postman..................................................Lady Gaga
  6. I Need to Be in Love.................................................Carly Simon
  7. Rainy Days and Mondays.........................................Olivia Newton-John (already recorded)
  8. I Won't Last a Day Without You...............................Melissa Manchester
  9. There's a Kind of Hush.............................................Barry Manilow (already recorded)
  10. Superstar...................................................................Madonna
  11. Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft................Owl City
  12. You............................................................................Celine Dion
  13. (They Long to Be) Close to You................................Marc Cohn (already recorded)
  14. Yesterday Once More...............................................Enya
  15. We've Only Just Begun............................................Dionne Warwick (already recorded)
  16. Goodbye to Love.......................................................Billy Joel

Bonus Tracks:
  1. My Body Keeps Changing My Mind.........................Selena Gomez
  2. I Kept on Loving You................................................Enrique Iglesias (featuring Pitbull)

Okay, Tracey, I'll bite... :) You've obviously put a lot of thought into this thread. Thanks for the fun exercise! I avoided looking at your list before constructing mine. I am clueless when it comes to producers, so I'll skip that part of your instructions. And any charity is fine with me; I like your choice, though. In my list, I have included some contemporaries of the Carpenters as well as some newer artists. And I hope you don't mind, but I have included some songs that have already been recorded; yet I feel they would fit well into such a compilation.
James thanks for the like and your post. I really like your choices and I am great with previously recorded tracks as they can be remixed and remastered, as I included my fav from if i were a carpenter. I really like the choices for tranks and the inclusion of Enya, Billy Joel. and Elton John. I am curious about Owl City. I will have to give them a listen.

Thank you, Tracey! I definitely liked your idea, choices, and feedback! With the bonus tracks, it's cool that we both picked "My Body Keeps Changing My Mind." One quick explanation: as for "I Kept on Loving You," Iglesias is now primarily considered a dance artist. He could turn "I Kept on Loving You" into a longer dance track, he has collaborated with Pitbull before, and I know they would put their stamp on this song. Besides, you have to feature Pitbull these days to have a hit, don't you? :)

Now, with regard to Owl City:
  1. Owl City is American Adam Young. The music has been characterized as electronica.
  2. The biggest hit of Owl City is the worldwide #1 smash "Fireflies" (2009). I imagine you're familiar with it...
  3. Owl City also collaborated with other artists, most notably Carly Rae Jepsen on the top 10 hit, "Good Time" (2012).
  4. Another notable single release was "When Can I See You Again" from the Wreck-It Ralph soundtrack (2012).
  5. I am a fan of Owl City, and another song I really enjoy is "Galaxies" (2011).
  6. I believe that the electronica sound and the quirky vocals of Owl City would make for an engaging remake of "Calling Occupants...."

I'd have to really think to get to 16, but here's 5 off the top of my head:

1. Paul McCartney "I Need to Be in Love"
2. Adele "Rainy Days and Mondays"
3. Maroon 5 "Only Yesterday"
4. Sting "Goodbye to Love"
5. Michael Buble "Yesterday Once More"

I like your choices, especially Paul McCartney on I Need To Be In Love. I am not a stickler for the rules. Just wondering what others would make a great tribute album. Thanks for your input.

very well written Tracey the song choices I have will take a little figuring but I do like the idea of some Linda Ronstadt gladys knight the beach boys for yesterday once more carole king when I formulate my ultimate list I'll continue on I just wanted to stop by and say good creative thread 1 we can all enjoy

I just want to applaud Tracey again for creating this thread! I know that participation involves some thought and time. But it really is fun once you get going! For me, I just went primarily with favorite artists of mine and tried to match them with songs I might deem appropriate.

Back in 1994, when If I Were a Carpenter was released, I found it to be a rather strange collection of artists, almost all of whom I previously had no knowledge (perhaps other than Sheryl Crow and the Cranberries). I enjoyed much of that tribute CD, however. But Tracey presents us with the challenge of rewriting history, or should I say, predicting the future. It allows us to imagine --- what if? :)

I just want to applaud Tracey again for creating this thread! I know that participation involves some thought and time. But it really is fun once you get going! For me, I just went primarily with favorite artists of mine and tried to match them with songs I might deem appropriate.

Back in 1994, when If I Were a Carpenter was released, I found it to be a rather strange collection of artists, almost all of whom I previously had no knowledge (perhaps other than Sheryl Crow and the Cranberries). I enjoyed much of that tribute CD, however. But Tracey presents us with the challenge of rewriting history, or should I say, predicting the future. It allows us to imagine --- what if? :)

Thank you James for posting this. Yes it is my intention to play and have some fun. I know there are many who didn't like the 1994 tribute based on its oddity factor. So here is an opportuunty to play producer, if you will. If the original guidelines feel too stringent, let me refine them:

1. Pick 12 songs you feel best represent the Carpenters sound - as a bonus you can add 1 song from each of their solo work
2. Try to think of an artist - living or deceased - to record that track - you can use the same artist more than once if you would like.
3. Name your project

This will hopefully make it easier to participate. You can also built on another post if you like. Or suggest alternates to a already completed list.

Lets see where we can take this. I love to hear others options. Thanks.

Well, fun, then, it is !
My tribute album, entitled ....
Carpenters Tribute : Look To Your Dreams
Proceeds to the Carpenter Family Foundation.
Songs:
(1) Yesterday Once More, Donny Osmond
(2) I Need To Be In Love, Lorrie Morgan (recorded 1984 Hee Haw)
(3) Solitaire, The Feeling (recorded 2009 Celebrating the Carpenters UK)
(4) Only Yesterday, Janis Siegel ( of Manhattan Transfer)
(5) Top of The World, Shania Twain
(6) Sweet, Sweet Smile, by Juice Newton
(7) Superstar, Donna Summer (performed Hollywood Bowl)
(8) Close To You, Olivia Newton-John
(9) Goodbye To Love, American Music Club (recorded)
(10) We've Only Just Begun, Pink
(11) For All We Know, Petula Clark (recorded)
(12) Rainy Days And Mondays, Sarah Vaughan (recorded)

Fun thread. So I’ve posted this before (apologies!). But here’s my track list for a would-be Tribute Album #2:
  • “Happy,” by Jack Johnson
  • “Mr. Guder,” by Pink
  • “Crystal Lullaby,” by Carole King
  • “Road Ode,” Elton John
  • “Maybe It’s You,” by Erykah Badu
  • “I Won’t Last A Day Without You,” by Crosby, Stills, and Nash
  • “Now,” Cyndi Lauper
  • “Make Believe It’s Your First Time,” Bonnie Raitt
  • “Someday,” by James Taylor
  • “One More Time,” by Norah Jones
  • “Bacharach/David Medley,” by Katy Perry (Bonus Track)

I'm breaking the rules so I hope it's ok but this would be my dream Carpenters Tribute CD.
Producer: John Farrar
Title: A Song For You

Tracks
  1. A Song For You ----- Olivia Newton-John
  2. You're The One ----- Olivia Newton-John
  3. Only Yesterday ----- Olivia Newton-John
  4. I Need To Be In Love ----- Olivia Newton-John
  5. Sweet Sweet Smile ----- Olivia Newton-John
  6. The Rainbow Connection ----- Olivia Newton-John
  7. Happy ----- Olivia Newton-John
  8. Solitaire ----- Olivia Newton-John
  9. We've Only Just Begun ----- Olivia Newton-John
  10. Bless The Beasts and Children ----- Olivia Newton-John
  11. Yesterday Once More ---- Olivia Newton-John
  12. *Sing ----- Olivia Newton-John
  13. I Won't Last A Day Without You ----- Olivia Newton-John
  14. From The Moment On ----- Olivia Newton-John
  15. Top Of The World ----- Olivia Newton-John
  16. Look To Your Dreams ----- Olivia Newton-John
  17. A Song For You (Reprise)----- Olivia Newton-John
* Sing will include a children's choir of true cancer survivors (thrivers) that Olivia personally asked to join her on this special song.

Bonus Tracks
  1. All Because Of You ----- Olivia Newton-John
  2. I'm Still Not Over You ----- Olivia Newton-John
All proceeds from this album will be donated to the Olivia Newton-John Cancer and Wellness Centre.

Last edited:
I'm breaking the rules so I hope it's ok but this would be my dream Carpenters Tribute CD.
Producer: John Farrar
Title: A Song For You

Tracks
  1. A Song For You ----- Olivia Newton-John
  2. You're The One ----- Olivia Newton-John
  3. Only Yesterday ----- Olivia Newton-John
  4. I Need To Be In Love ----- Olivia Newton-John
  5. Sweet Sweet Smile ----- Olivia Newton-John
  6. The Rainbow Connection ----- Olivia Newton-John
  7. Happy ----- Olivia Newton-John
  8. Solitaire ----- Olivia Newton-John
  9. We've Only Just Begun ----- Olivia Newton-John
  10. Bless The Beasts and Children ----- Olivia Newton-John
  11. Yesterday Once More ---- Olivia Newton-John
  12. *Sing ----- Olivia Newton-John
  13. I Won't Last A Day Without You ----- Olivia Newton-John
  14. From The Moment On ----- Olivia Newton-John
  15. Top Of The World ----- Olivia Newton-John
  16. Look To Your Dreams ----- Olivia Newton-John
  17. A Song For You (Reprise)----- Olivia Newton-John
* Sing will include a children's choir of true cancer survivors (thrivers) that Olivia personally asked to join her on this special song.

Bonus Tracks
  1. All Because Of You ----- Olivia Newton-John
  2. I'm Still Not Over You ----- Olivia Newton-John
All proceeds from this album will be donated to the Olivia Newton-John Cancer and Wellness Centre.

I actually really like the idea of Olivia doing a Carpenters tribute album. Your song choices are great for her and I love the Sing concept, kind of like Cyndi Lauper did with True Colors. Great job.

I'll go along with Chris and break the rules. Give me a Carpenters tribute album by The Corrs. I don't care which songs. In fact I'd settle for one song the way they did on an ABBA tribute album.

Harry

Having just seen Debby Boone (and her father, Pat--Yes! Pat!) in Shipshewana, Ind. last week--I could go for "the obvious Karen replacement"--if you've ever heard Debby sing & the types of material she does, picking up where the "almost Mrs. Tom Burris" left off...

The song list on this particular 'Tribute' album? Here goes:

DEBBY BOONE I Remember Karen:

1. Rainy Days And Mondays

2. Superstar

3. We've Only Just Begun

4. Yesterday Once More

5. All You Get From Love Is A Love Song

6. Only Yesterday

7. (They Long To Be) Close to You

8. Sweet, Sweet Smile

9. All You Get From Love Is A Love Song

10. Top Of The World

11. I Need To Be In Love

12. A Song For You

Think the order it's in seems to be a suitable play-list (make your OWN programming, if you prefer a different ordered-list!)--no Bonus Cuts, just twelve well-chosen tracks a 59- to 60- years-old Ms. Debby can do--and some good annotations on how much she'd been enamored and influenced by the Carpenters' music Karen's career, as well as citing how much she (and Richard) has/have been a pleasure to know...

Debby's material ranges from big band, to country, from rock, to pop, so nothing should be too hard to tackle--her pipes gave us a great show in Shipshy, last week (would love to put a review of her & Pat's show) so this would surely introduce us & reintroduce us to a great singer (and someone to be known for more than just "You Light Up My Life")...

-- Dave

James thanks for the like and your post. I really like your choices and I am great with previously recorded tracks as they can be remixed and remastered, as I included my fav from if i were a carpenter. I really like the choices for tranks and the inclusion of Enya, Billy Joel. and Elton John. I am curious about Owl City. I will have to give them a listen.
Tracey, it occurred to me today that I left off a singer on my proposed 45th anniversary tribute CD: Rumer! So,

17. Two Sides..................................................................Rumer

Tracey, it occurred to me today that I left off a singer on my proposed 45th anniversary tribute CD: Rumer! So,

17. Two Sides..................................................................Rumer
Yes after listening to her, I would agree. I also like her rendition of This Masquerade with Leon Russell. Foind it on youtube. Heres the link:

Hope you enjoy this. even if you've heard it before.

Carpenters: A Nashville Tribute

A collection celebrating the iconic duo’s 45th anniversary in the recording business.

Country artists who were touched by the legendary recording act – & songs that resonate yesterday, today, and tomorrow. (Benefiting the Carpenter Family Foundation)

Produced by Tony Brown

1) Top Of The World – Taylor Swift (more of an organic arrangement with a banjo and a more blue-grass vibe)

2) Rainy Days & Mondays – Martina McBride (Classic Martina - belting out the chorus...)

3) Two Sides – Carrie Underwood (I can hear her in two parts harmonizing on the "Well I don't know how to say it, 'cause I never though I could... God knows I've tried so many times...")

4) This Masquerade – k.d. lang (Nothing more to say...)

5) Superstar – Faith Hill

6) Reason To Believe – Dixie Chicks

7) A Song For You – Tim McGraw

8) Sweet, Sweet Smile – Reba and Darius Rucker (Think the "Wagon Wheel" arrangement)

9) I Believe You – Ronnie Dunn (slight lyric revisions here and there)

10) Something In Your Eyes – Vince Gill

11) Boat To Sail – Blake Shelton

12) Love Me For What I Am – Miranda Lambert

13) You’re The One – Randy Houser (A great balladeer... If you don't know his work, give a listen to: 'Anything Goes' or 'Like A Cowboy')

14) Those Good Old Dreams – Keith Urban - (Banjos and acoustic guitars galore!)

15) Still Crazy After All These Years – Willie Nelson (If he hasn't recorded this yet - he sure ought to...)

16) One More Time – Trisha Yearwood

(Here's an example of a song with an arrangement I imagine for this song - from Miss Yearwood: I think you'll immediately hear what I mean...
)

I've enjoyed everyone's lists so much - that I wish this really would happen!

Fun topic, one which I obviously wanted to take some time with to adjust and tweak until I got it the way I wanted... This is why I should never produce an album! It would surely never make the deadline! :wink:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom