Tony Peluso

Dean Lander

I always wondered how Karen Carpenter heard about Tony Peluso before he became a band member. I think I found the answer. In 1971, his group Instant Joy opened for the Carpenters. Peluso's raucous, hard-edged guitar made enough of an impression on the headliners for Karen to call him the following year when she and Richard began recording their fourth album.

Also the song, Klaatu's "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft (The Recognized Anthem of World Contact Day)" on "Passage" in 1977. The guitarist had drawn Richard's attention to the eerie sci-fi-flavoured composition on the Canadian progressive rock group's first album. "Next thing I know we're recording it. Karen had a great time. We all did. It's certainly not the kind of thing you expect from the Carpenters," he mused, adding: "From a creative point of view, we all had a blast".

Reference: "Obituaries: Tony Peluso: Guitarist whose solos on The Carpenters' 'Goodbye to Love' ushered in the power-ballad era". The Independent. Retrieved 20 March 2016.

Back
Top Bottom