Two GOLDs - A Bit Naughty?*

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi guys, not been on for a while, I trust everyone is well?

brought a cd a few days ago off ebay, because I didn't have it in my collection. it is the carpenters `GOLD` cd, but the `special edition` version. I was curious what would be different about it, but because I didn't have it, it was worth buying.
when it arrived, I was less disappointed, because it`s a carpenters cd, but more annoyed at how they did this. I don`t buy many cds as I either download stuff or don`t bother at all, so I don`t know how often it happens, but before it arrived, I guessed that maybe it has a couple of extra tracks on it, maybe unheard, something different or a few video tracks, but no.
so what did they do? they changed the black artwork from well, black, to gold :thmbdn: this was no doubt put back on the shelves, another £15 please ........ disgusting they can do that!

barring the colour change, it is EXACTLY the same, wow!

009_zpsbxisqbnt.jpg

I think (but I could be wrong) that this reissue was a "special edition" only because there was a version that was packaged together with the "Gold" video compilation DVD, not because it had any additional audio content. That it why (I believe) the one with the gold colored disc artwork says "GOLD CD" on it. The accompanying DVD said "GOLD DVD" on it. (If you notice, the one with the black disc artwork just has the title and doesn't say "CD" on it.) They must have released this "new" version as a standalone as well.

I think (but I could be wrong) that this reissue was a "special edition" only because there was a version that was packaged together with the "Gold" video compilation DVD, not because it had any additional audio content. That it why (I believe) the one with the gold colored disc artwork says "GOLD CD" on it. The accompanying DVD said "GOLD DVD" on it. (If you notice, the one with the black disc artwork just has the title and doesn't say "CD" on it.) They must have released this "new" version as a standalone as well.

That sounds rather plausible. There were a bunch of different "GOLD" packages, sometimes more than one per territory, with combinations of GOLD CDs, DVDs, Christmas albums, and even 20th Century Masters CDs. They generally all use the same mastering but were packaged differently. That "GOLD CD" above was likely an additional package for those not interested in the DVD.

I think you're right. I had the original black version and then replaced it with the special edition gold version with the CD and DVD. However it came with a sticker on it mentioning both the CD and DVD and was clearly labelled as such on the cover. Interestingly (or not) the bonus DVD in this CD/DVD package (2005) is black while the DVD in the original DVD only Gold Greatest Hits (2002) is gold.

I'd be a bit annoyed if I'd purchased a gold version advertised as a special edition and it turned out to be exactly the same as the original one.

Reminds me of the Carpenters Gold DVD being a reissue of the Yesterday Once More video.
And with no Remastering to even provide 5.1 audio. It would be nice to get the DVD with DTS 5.1 audio. I remember picking up an Ed Sullivan DVD around the same time that featured the Carpenters "We've Only Just Begun" and being surprised to find it remixed into 5.1 from the original 2-channel mono master tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom