UK Carpenters night comin up June 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicko

Just seen a big night for Carpenters fans on Channel 5 at 10pm a 2 hour special called Karen Carpenter: Goodbye to Love ( no idea what that is not seen it before).

Its followed at 11pm by Carpenters : top 10 for 1 hour.

Some thing to look forward to.

Wow interesting and well spotted! This is a brand new docu-drama produced by ITV for Channel 5. A quick search online took me to the website of the production team of the show:

Karen Carpenter: Goodbye To Love Channel 5 ITV FEB 16 - MAY 16

PRODUCTION TITLE: Karen Carpenter: Goodbye To Love
COMPANY: ITV
LINE MANAGER: Ed Taylor
PROGRAMME LENGTH: Feature Length
GENRE: Drama Documentary
SECTOR: Broadcast Television

DESCRIPTION:
Feature length drama/documentary charting the life of the phenomenally talented American singer and drummer. More than half the film is full scripted drama with a powerful cinematic feel, revealing the tragic inside story of the voice of The Carpenters.

Paul Evans | Editor | The Talent Manager »

Also from the writer of the show:

PRODUCTION TITLE: Karen Carpenter - Goodbye To Love
COMPANY: Potato (ITV studios)
LINE MANAGER: John Fothergill
PROGRAMME LENGTH: Feature Length
SERIES: 2
GENRE: Dramatised Documentary
SECTOR: Broadcast Television

DESCRIPTION:
A 90 minute biopic on the life of 1970s pop star Karen Carpenter covering the last five years of her life and her relationship with her brother and mother. I have written both the drama and documentary script and have been filming with, and leading a 25 strong crew and cast on location. “This is a brilliant film” (Guy Davies: Commissioning Editor (Factual) Channel 5) “One of the best shows I've seen since starting at Reelz. Beautifully done.” (Steve Cheskin: Vice President Programming - Reelz Channel USA).

John Holdsworth | Producer/Director (Self Shooting) | The Talent Manager »

Last edited:
DESCRIPTION:
A 90 minute biopic on the life of 1970s pop star Karen Carpenter covering the last five years of her life and her relationship with her brother and mother. I have written both the drama and documentary script and have been filming with, and leading a 25 strong crew and cast on location.

This means the film is going to cover her life from 1978 to 1983, so it will traverse the solo album period, her wedding and then treatment in New York. I don't think there's ever been a docu-drama that has ever focused solely on Karen's later years (aside from that 'Last Days Of' autopsy programme, which incidentally this team was involved in producing for some episodes in the series), so this looks to be a really interesting piece and sounds well made from the comments made above by some of the TV company executives. I'm really looking forward to it :)

Last edited:
More:
Channel 5 Preps Freddie Mercury, Karen Carpenter Docudramas - TVREAL »

LONDON: ITV Studios’ Potato is producing two feature-length drama documentaries for Channel 5,
one on Freddie Mercury and the other spotlighting Karen Carpenter.

"Freddie Mercury: The Great Pretender Revealed(1×120 min.)
and Karen Carpenter: Goodbye To Love (1×120 min.) will explore the truth behind the loss of two cultural icons.
The docudramas will examine their personal and professional lives and the key moments that ultimately led to the tragic deaths at the height of their respective careers. Using scripted dramatization based on first-hand accounts, rarely seen archive footage and interviews with those closest to them, both films will shed a revealing light on these much-loved icons’ stories. The new commissions follow on the success of Potato’s 2015 feature-length factual drama Whitney & Bobby: Addicted To Love."

Michael Kelpie, the executive producer and managing director of Potato, said:
“There are few artists who have touched the lives of so many through their music to the extent of Freddie Mercury and Karen Carpenter.
These films tell their stories in a compelling, truthful and respectful way and remind us all of how much we miss them both.”

More:
Channel 5 Preps Freddie Mercury, Karen Carpenter Docudramas - TVREAL »

LONDON: ITV Studios’ Potato is producing two feature-length drama documentaries for Channel 5,
one on Freddie Mercury and the other spotlighting Karen Carpenter.

"Freddie Mercury: The Great Pretender Revealed(1×120 min.)
and Karen Carpenter: Goodbye To Love (1×120 min.) will explore the truth behind the loss of two cultural icons.
The docudramas will examine their personal and professional lives and the key moments that ultimately led to the tragic deaths at the height of their respective careers. Using scripted dramatization based on first-hand accounts, rarely seen archive footage and interviews with those closest to them, both films will shed a revealing light on these much-loved icons’ stories. The new commissions follow on the success of Potato’s 2015 feature-length factual drama Whitney & Bobby: Addicted To Love."

Michael Kelpie, the executive producer and managing director of Potato, said:
“There are few artists who have touched the lives of so many through their music to the extent of Freddie Mercury and Karen Carpenter.
These films tell their stories in a compelling, truthful and respectful way and remind us all of how much we miss them both.”

The more I hear about this the more I'm dying to see it. The Whitney & Bobby: Addicted To Love programme was great! I wonder whether there will be any new interviews with close friends of Karen and who they will be?

Over the moon also to see there's one featuring the inimitable Freddie Mercury.

Hmm...not sure how insightful the 'dramatization' element of this will be if it's anything like the Whitney and Bobby programme (in which all the 'dramatization' was basically 'Whitney (although oddly not Bobby) takes drugs', which hardly added any perspective to proceedings), but the interview elements might be more worthwhile, particularly if they're focusing on a more specific timeframe than covering Karen's whole career.

Given the years being covered in the programme though, I'm going to guess that a number of posters here probably aren't going to like what this might have to say...

It appears my TV guide app is now showing all listings up to June 5 for the Reelz channel but no listing for this program title. It might show up sometime later as I noticed the other docs is listed, to be honest I'm not that excited as it kinda looks like that other one they did of the last days of KC.

It appears my TV guide app is now showing all listings up to June 5 for the Reelz channel but no listing for this program title. It might show up sometime later as I noticed the other docs is listed, to be honest I'm not that excited as it kinda looks like that other one they did of the last days of KC.

I don't think it will be shown on Reelz until a later date. I'm interested to see who's been interviewed for this as only half of it is dramatised so hopefully there will be some new interview footage of friends and industry associates. I'm wondering whose voice it is on this clip that says "it was all about Richard"...it sounds like Joan Pennisi.

Here's the Radio Times write up for this:

Will the Carpenters ever be afforded the same respect as, say, Abba? Once deemed deeply uncool, the Super-Troupers have been justly reappraised in recent years. But the toothy American siblings always had an image problem that detracted from the quality of their work, Richard's prodigious music brain matching sublimely with Karen’s divine voice.

The carefully crafted albums are featured in a hits package at 11pm narrated by Ken Bruce. But the terrible secret that jeopardised the group for years - anorexia nervosa, which killed Karen in 1983 - is examined in this documentary. She was just 32.

Looks like it will be shown in one part, 9pm to 11pm.

Last edited:
The involvement of Ken Bruce is a surprise as he works for the BBC. Must be doing freelance work.

Found this photo on the RadioTimes website.

13239469_10206511217561532_6492975135038578223_n.jpg

I would imagine that "here across the pond" REELZ Network will probably air it during their November "sweeps period" to increase viewership. The pink and white combo in the above photo looks similar to the outfit Karen wore on her Bruce Forsyth appearance.

They've found a real good resemblance between Karen and the actor judging by the photo, anyone know her identity?

More details emerging...I think this is going to be really interesting!

"Drama about the life and problems of Karen Carpenter, one half of the 1970s brother-and-sister pop act. Supported by testimony from both close friends and Carpenters insiders, including her lovers, close advisers and an exclusive interview with Dionne Warwick, it digs deep into Karen's often difficult and complex relationship with her mother Agnes and older brother Richard, her exhausting touring schedule, her disastrous marriage, and her anorexia and abuse of drugs.

Karen Carpenter: Goodbye to Love (Drama) on June 3rd, 2016 at 9:00pm - Channel 5 | Recommended by digiguide.tv »

It also looks as though it's going to be broadcast as one show, not in two parts as previously reported.

13315734_10156968484255501_4925070997597167802_n.jpg

13256341_10156968484235501_4630447049637376034_n.jpg

13256270_10156968484300501_8344481549785603933_n.jpg

The more I hear about this the more I'm dying to see it. The Whitney & Bobby: Addicted To Love programme was great! I wonder whether there will be any new interviews with close friends of Karen and who they will be?

Over the moon also to see there's one featuring the inimitable Freddie Mercury.
They've found a real good resemblance between Karen and the actor judging by the photo, anyone know her identity?

Adele Keating is her name

Adele Keating, Actor »

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom