UNRELEASED CHRISTMAS TRACKS .....POSSIBLES......

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJ

Apart from the Two Christmas Albums , Carpenters recorded several excellent songs for the Two TV Specials in 1977 & 1978.

While several tracks were duets / recorded with other Performers , which would like many songs on As Time Goes By, require long copyright and publishing clearance periods, It would be enjoyable to have these released, either for a Future Box Set or Bonus Tracks for Special Editions of both Albums :) :

Toyland -Richard's Great vocal from CP TV Special.

Adeste Fideles -KC , RC and Gene Kelly combine talents on classic Christmas Carol.

Christmas Alphabet -KC with Kristy McNicol -Fun Christmas Track.

Stille Nicht -Karen's Flawless German Version of Silent Night.

Interesting to ask Richard Whether any Live Carpenters Christmas tracks would be released for a future set ?

Peter....looking forward to some Christmas Rarities ......

It seems that every Christmas, I search through my tapes and play the Perry Como Christmas special from 1974 with the Carpenters, and the play the tape of the First Carpenters Christmas Special in 1976 to listen to The Christmas Alphabet. I really like the latter. It is unique and fun.

Craig

The German version of SILENT NIGHT, which by the way is ofcourse the original version, is not called STILLE NICHT, but STILLE NACHT.

The S here is not like the S in silent, but like the S in shepherd.

Bruno

teaching a little German :wink:

Sehr gut, Herr Bruno!

(Ich spreche ein bischen Deutsch.)

Fröhliche Weinachten!

Harry
...practicing a bit of his old German from high school (Wouldn't Frau Huber be proud!), online...

Hey, that's cool, Harry! :)

But Frau Huber would say:
ein bisschen Deutsch
and
Fröhliche Weihnachten!

Bruno
remembering his English teacher at school, Frau Braun, saying: German is much more difficult than English!

Thanks for the corrections. I actually thought hard about the double-s in bisschen, and thought about going for the character "ß", which I believe is the older, more formal way of representing two "Ss" in the middle of a word. The "h" in Weihnachten -- I totally spaced on that! But you've got to give me credit for finding the o with the umlaut!

It's been a long time since I've used my German -- and I truly admire your use of English. It's better than most of ours over here!

Were any Carpenters albums issued with German titles? I have a Greatest Hits disc with German liner notes.

Harry
...pretty much mono-lingual, but trying, online...

Harry said:
I actually thought hard about the double-s in bisschen, and thought about going for the character "ß", which I believe is the older, more formal way of representing two "Ss" in the middle of a word.

Hey Harry, so you studied German in high school too! :cool: Do you remember very much of it? I've forgotten so much, that my command of the language is pretty dreadful. Bruno can attest to that. :wink: Herr Mang and Fraulein Guenzel (my teachers) would not be pleased! :rolleyes:

Is it still acceptable to use the "ß" character? I heard that there was a movement to phase it out, and that it was no longer being taught in German schools. Is this true?

Murray

Hi Harry,

the Carpenters CD ONLY YESTERDAY, which topped the UK charts in 1990 for several weeks, was released in Germany the same year under the title THEIR GREATEST HITS. While the UK version had a white cover, the German version had a red cover, both with the picture of Karen leaning over Richard's shoulder, taken in 1980, I guess.

The liner notes are the German translation of the original UK liner notes.

In the 80s, there was a LP released here in Germany, entitled BEAUTIFUL MOMENTS. This was in fact a sort of greatest hits album, but also included REASON TO BELIEVE, which back then I never had heard before. Unfortunately, I don't have this LP anymore.

Hi Murray,

yes, there was a spelling reform here in Germany, and the ß was abandoned. So, no more daß or bißchen, but dass and bisschen.

This reform was very much criticized, because it was ordered and no development of the language.

Christmas greetings from Bonn, where it is about 0° Celsius!

Bruno

Bruno said:
the Carpenters CD ONLY YESTERDAY, which topped the UK charts in 1990 for several weeks, was released in Germany the same year under the title THEIR GREATEST HITS. While the UK version had a white cover, the German version had a red cover, both with the picture of Karen leaning over Richard's shoulder, taken in 1980, I guess.

The liner notes are the German translation of the original UK liner notes.

That's the one I have. Found it here as an import a number of years ago. It's odd that I never found the UK, or any other, version of this CD.

I'm still thrilled that I bought that original Christmas Portrait in old Munich back in the '80s.

Harry
...thinking about glockenspiels and hot days in Munich, online...

I only own the UK version with the white cover, because that CD was released some months before the red-covered German version. I only bought the German version once to give away as a present.

Yes, the original CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT CD is great; I bought it several times to give away to friends as a Christmas present.

Some weeks ago, I ordered AN OLD-FASHIONED CHRISTMAS at amazon.de, and got it some days ago. It was very expensive, but I'm glad I have it now, because it has the original cover art.

So, now I own all Carpenters CDs, which appear in the booklet of ESSENTIAL COLLECTION. :)

By the way: The four weeks before Christmas Eve are called ADVENT in Germany. Is there an English word for this time?

Bruno

who today enjoyed a walk over the Christmas market in Bonn, listening to a Big Band playing ADESTE FIDELES

Bruno said:
By the way: The four weeks before Christmas Eve are called ADVENT in Germany. Is there an English word for this time?

We Lutherans in Canada also refer to this time as Advent, which is not surprising, I suppose, since many of our traditions come from Germany. Outside of church, I don't think I've ever heard the term used.

Murray
...eagerly anticipating Mom's stollen and apfelkuchen...

Last year, a British friend sent me an Advent calendar full of candy. Each day in the month of December had a little "prize" behind it. I believe the theory was that the daily surprize would keep kids occupied until Christmas arrived.

Harry
...noting that "Advent" is also a brand of speakers, right?, online...

Bruno,

Suitably corrected for Stille Nacht ......this is probably worse since I enjoyed three of my best childhood years in Germany until 1968 near the Dutch Border and remember this period as exciting , fun and fascinating.....but have not remembered German Language / Grammar unfortunately :sad:

Purchased German Edition of Their Greatest Hits in 1993 , when Imports arrived in UK. Really like Red Cover , better than UK original from 1990 :)

A German Friend obtained Beautiful Moments in 1980 , which was #1 if I recall and a huge seller.This is one set I did not purchase , will have to search for old copies.
This would be a great German / European Release in 2003 , a similar set of Singles , Classics and Album Favourities with major TV / Radio/ Retail campaign to boost Carpenters Catalog in Europe and heighten awareness amongst New and Young Music Buyers :)

Bruno -perhaps you could recommend to Universal Germany ? Are they based at Hamburg ?

Have a Good Christmas / New Year Break :D

Peter....recalling German Memories......

ADVENT is the latin word for ARRIVAL. The four weeks before Christmas are called ADVENT, both by German Protestants and Catholics ( I'm a Catholic). ADVENT means two things: We await the anniversary of the first arrival of Jesus, the birthday of Jesus, at Christmas; and we await the second arrival of Christ at the end of all times to build up the kingdom of God. The second meaning of ADVENT is very much forgotten nowadays. On the first Advent-Sunday, when the priest asked during mass "What are we waiting for in Advent?", a child answered:"We are waiting for Santa Claus to come." It's a shame.

Two things belong to ADVENT here in Germany: The Advent calendar, with 24 little doors to open; and the Advent wreath, with four candles, which get lightened one after the other on the four Advent sundays.

Bruno

who will light the Christmas tree not before Christmas Eve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom