Unusual "heard Sergio Mendes" situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Blakesley

Staff member
Last week Lynn and I went to the Rocky Mountain Association of Fairs convention. This is where county and state fairs from the Rocky Mountain region buy talent for the fairs, see displays of fairgrounds equipment, etc. Part of the event (the best part) is the "Showcasing," where potential "free stage" entertainers like magicians, jugglers, hypnotists, variety acts and musical acts have a 20-minute chance to put on the best parts of their acts. The buyers then visit the talent and make their bookings. There are usually about 100 acts to choose from each year, of which about 25 or so will get the chance to showcase.

Anyway, we were watching the showcases Thursday and one of the featured acts was a duo called Trevor and Lorena Waters. They are a performance act, part acrobatics and part juggling. The whole act was in pantomime with various background music. As soon as they started, this very familiar percussion track kicked in.....it was Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66, "The Frog!" They did a very unique routine to the whole song. So that really made my day. After "The Frog," the rest of their set featured other salsa and Latin American rhythms, none of which I recognized the artist or title.

Unfortunately we didn't think the act was the right fit for our fair, so we didn't book them...but I'll bet I enjoyed their act more than anybody else in the room!

Last edited:
Except for you or perhaps some few other people, I believe that most of the people there were listening to this song for the first time in their lives.

As soon as they started, this very familiar percussion track kicked in.....it was Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66, "The Frog!"

Are you sure it was "The Frog"? The old version of that song starts with vocals right away. Could it perhaps have been "Roda" which starts with percussion?

Harry

Dag nabbit! You are right, it was "Roda." I get those two mixed up occasionally. Well at least they are from the same album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom