Upcoming WHAT NOW MY LOVE reissue: Will we finally hear the "finished" album?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geez that Youtube version sounds awful. At first it sounds like the speakers are inside a trash can, and then the volume fluctuates and things straighten out. But it still sounds like a pair of microphones placed in front of speakers, or something. But, still good to hear the "finished" version again.
I've seen/heard some users stick their smartphone in front of a TV to capture a video. :rolleyes: Probably held a phone in front of the speakers to record it.

I had an MP3 file of the differences between albums but haven't seen it since several hard drives ago...
I think I may still have that floating around on my hard drive...

I probably do as well, but not sure where I'd find it--I may have killed my original work file of it, or maybe not. It also probably exists as an MP3 in one of my old site backups. I meant to keep it as a curiosity.

BTW, I did find those old "guess the TJB song" MP3s I had, but I lost the answer guide to them... :sad:

IIRC, the file is labeled simply as "wnml.mp3". I stumbled on it the other day.

I found it, and being an MP3 it is wretched to listen to. I must have used a lower bitrate on it.

I did notice something--only the title track has a lot of reverb in the one version of the album. The other tracks might be slightly different but not by much (if at all). I would need to get out the vinyl to really hear these properly. MP3 destroys a lot of the reverb information.

I'm hearing a different take on "Brasilia"--different trumpet parts, especially in the first verse.

There are two samples of each track. The first is the stereo version I've had for decades (which mirrors the mono release). The second is the version of the LP which is assumed to be the "official" one that appears on all CD releases.

http://1drv.ms/1NniXIp (Click to download)

As I mentioned, "So What's New" sounds almost the same until you get to the whistler part in the middle. The wet version has the whistling reverbed slightly whereas the dry version is just "dry". Seems to me that "If I Were A Rich Man" has Herb's trumpet reverbed in the wet version, but it's not in the dry version.

In "Plucky" in the 2nd version, there are two marimba parts, vs. one.

I have a feeling the final stereo version has overdubs. (I'll explain more later.)

Last edited:
"Shadow Of Your Smile" also has differences on the trumpet. The wet version has more reverb and the horn is buried more in the mix as opposed to the dry version.

The first time I became aware of TWO versions of WNML was when the A&M CD issues came out in 1988. I was relaxing in bed, humming along with "Plucky" when all of a sudden the "strip tease" portion started and I sat up and out loud said, "What the F...?" I then checked all 3 of my vinyl copies and none have the strip tease. The trombone in Brasilia I shrugged off as just an EQ issue in the remastering until WE all started analyzing the entire CD -vs- album, stereo -vs- mono here years ago... I prefer the "boned" version and the striptease version of the two songs in question... I need to listen again to the other differences ("Shadow" and "So What's New") mentioned here...

--Mr Bill

I guess it will always be a mystery. Especially since there is no clue as to which master tape they might have had these different versions on.

And you're not the only one to notice the strip tease! :D

I guess what needs to happen is, Randy or Herb need to actually hear the two versions. On the rare occasions they've been asked about this, they've said "we're not aware" of any differences. I have a feeling if Herb could hear an A/B comparison especially on "Brasilia" he would go ......"WAIT A MINUTE!!"

Hi Everybody It has been awhile.
I first became aware of the WNML differences in the early 90s when a friend played for me His 1988 Cd issue and It sounded very dry compared to my vintage Stereo and Mono versions on vinyl along with the discrepancies in the songs as mentioned here. I for one was very surprised but i kept my good condition vinyl versions( the "wet" mixes.) And did a needle drop of them to CDR. For fairness. While i own the shout factory CD version. ( "Dry Mix") its good for an oddity.my parents had the "wet mix" lp Which i was always used to. And Still prefer today. Let's Hope Herb and Randy finally somehow discover these differences and Hopefully set out to find the " Finished" master as we all remember and Love it.

hi guys happy holidays to all. I just bought the what now my love from itunes, and I did not read if any other people made comments on this. the song plucky from the downloads is the strip tease version, so I am wondering if that will be on the cd

version when it comes out in Mid April. I thought they were going back to original analog masters as it said on the stickers of whipped cream and the christmas album, becasue the plucky version I was use to hearing was on the original album

version from 1966.and Brasilia does not have the trombone part at the beginning.

bob

hi guys happy holidays to all. I just bought the what now my love from itunes, and I did not read if any other people made comments on this. the song plucky from the downloads is the strip tease version, so I am wondering if that will be on the cd

version when it comes out in Mid April. I thought they were going back to original analog masters as it said on the stickers of whipped cream and the christmas album, becasue the plucky version I was use to hearing was on the original album

version from 1966.and Brasilia does not have the trombone part at the beginning.

bob
I suspected the dry mix was going to be used i checked out the samples on amazon. Since i already have the shout factory cd and the,original vinyl "wet mix" in stereo and mono i will be passing this version by.

to bbrmn from the research I did I could be wrong the dry mix of plucky with the strip tease version was released on the west coast along with Brailia. and the wet mix with the trombone at the beginning and plucky that is not the strip stease

was re;eased on the east coast. I don't know for sure, with me living in Ohio. we all got Brasila with the trombone.

bob

to bbrmn from the research I did I could be wrong the dry mix of plucky with the strip tease version was released on the west coast along with Brailia. and the wet mix with the trombone at the beginning and plucky that is not the strip stease

was re;eased on the east coast. I don't know for sure, with me living in Ohio. we all got Brasila with the trombone.

bob
If that is the case "You guys are so lucky " it appears this would be a case of marketing of sorts i live on the west coast so it might make sense however that would not explain why my parents( who were living in san francisco at the time) who had a vintage copy of WNML got the wet mix. But then again im probably just gussing. Its all a mystery to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom