Vanessa Carlton

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Some of my kids' friends suggested I might enjoy hearing 21-year-old singer/composer/pianist Vanessa Carlton's top hit, "A Thousand Miles." After finally hearing it on the radio, I had to admit it wasn't bad. What I didn't know until today is that her newly released album, BE NOT NOBODY, bears the A&M label. Her sound reminds me of Kate Bush, Fiona Apple and Tori Amos. Anyway, there's potential here, and if this debut doesn't top the charts perhaps a future effort will.
JB -- checking out the kids' music, online
www.vanessacarlton.com

I wonder how she was singned to A&M?
I think she is great, she says that she admires Carole King. I think it's great that someone who can sign and write songs has a hit.~~~~~~~~Matt

I just checked out the Vanessa Carlton section of the "official" A&M Records site at http://www.amrecords.com There are samples of all of the songs on her album, and the first single, "A Thousand Miles" can be heard (and seen) in its entirety. Not bad. I like the piano playing that she does, and the tune IS catchy.

After that, I checked out the people's reviews on amazon, and there's nothing but high marks there.

Harry
...also checking out new music, online...

B0000646TK.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I just noticed in looking at the Billboard album charts that the Vanessa Carlton is at number 5 in its first week on the charts -- impressive! And down at number 8 is Sheryl Crow's new album. Interesting to see two A&M albums in the top ten.

Harry
...chart checking, online...

Not bad for what's left of A&M. :confused: Wonder if they can ever make a name for the label?

But hey, I love that cover! :D

-= N =-
...eye candy R us...

She's "okay" looking, I guess, but the cover art/design reminds me too much of the drug induced hippy leftist wacko covers of the late 60s and early 70s...

--Mr B
still waiting for the 80s nostalgia to hit so he can open "The 80s Cafe" as featured in Back To The Future III [/b]

If A&M's chart success in the singer-songwriter area leads the label toward good music, and away from gansta rap, then this is a positive development which deserves support. A core of great artists and producers might make the label strong enough to spin off from UNI one day.
Who knows. Perhaps Producer Ron Fair (of Vanessa's and Lisa Loeb's latest) could become the 'Tommy LiPuma' of his generation.
JB

Remember that A&M is just a "stick on" name for whatever the Interscope part of Universal wants to stick it on. Interscope,when half owned by WEA was the $$$ funding that fueled probably the biggest gansta label of them all-Death Row,original home to Dr. Dre,Snoop and Tupac. At the time,Interscope could do no wrong for TimeWarner because it meant big bucks till William Bennett & Friends pressured the eventual jettisonning of Interscope to Universal. Warner has never recovered from losing Interscope and Interscope is the most important component of Universal's music holdings. Interscope eventually had to distance itself from Death Row but did so kicking and screaming. Mac

Mr Bill said:
She's "okay" looking, I guess, but the cover art/design reminds me too much of the drug induced hippy leftist wacko covers of the late 60s and early 70s...

You make that sound like a bad thing. :laugh:

Capt. Bacardi

Reminds me of an old Santana or Grateful Dead album cover...at least the background does.

-= N =-

The background tapestry reminds me of the left inside gatefold of Strawbs FROM THE WITCHWOOD (SP 4304). Maybe the tapestry background was a tribute to Carole King.
JB

I just noticed that the Vanessa Carlton single, "A Thousand Miles", is still holding in Billboard's top ten. Currently ranked at number 8 with 19 weeks on the chart. I now hear the song everywhere -- top 40 radio, AC radio, music services in restaurants, you name it. It's a bonfide hit.

Harry
NP: Vanessa Carlton, "A Thousand Miles"

Last time I checked 'Billboard' it showed the "1000 Miles" single at #6 - for the 3rd week in row - and the album BE NOT NOBODY at #13. Not shabby for a debut.
Vanessa appeared on a Fox Network teen music special not long ago. The other artists were rappers or divas prancing to drum machine rhythms. She was the only one singing and playing piano at the same time. Maybe real talent does count for something.
JB
NP: Vanessa Carlton BE NOT NOBODY "Ordinary Day" (her next single)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom