🎵 AotW Various Artists - LOST IN THE STARS: THE MUSIC OF KURT WEILL (SP-5104)

LPJim

Staff member
Various Artists
LOST IN THE STARS: THE MUSIC OF KURT WEILL
A&M SP-5104
1094587.jpg

1. "Introduction from Mahagonny-Songspiel" – Steve Weisberg
  2. "The Ballad of Mac The Knife" (from The Threepenny Opera) – Sting and Dominic Muldowney
  3. "The Cannon Song" (from The Threepenny Opera) – The Fowler Brothers and Stan Ridgway
  4. "Ballad of the Soldier's Wife" – Marianne Faithfull and Chris Spedding
  5. "Johnny Johnson Medley" – Van Dyke Parks
    1. "Overture"
    2. "Johnny's Melody"
    3. "Aggie's Sewing Machine"
  6. "Alabama Song" (from Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny) – Ralph Schuckett with Richard Butler, Bob Dorough, Ellen Shipley and John Petersen
  7. "Youkali Tango" – Armadillo String Quartet
  8. "Der Kleine Leutnant Des Lieben Gottes" (The Little Lieutenant of the Loving God) (from Happy End) – John Zorn
  9. "September Song" (from Knickerbocker Holiday) – Lou Reed
  10. "Lost in the Stars" – Carla Bley with Phil Woods
  11. "What Keeps Mankind Alive?" (from The Threepenny Opera) – Tom Waits
  12. "Surabaya Johnny" (from Happy End) – Dagmar Krause
  13. "Oh Heavenly Salvation" (from Mahagonny) – Mark Bingham with Johnny Adams and Aaron Neville
  14. "Call From The Grave/Ballad In Which MacHeath Begs All Men For Forgiveness" (from The Threepenny Opera) – Todd Rundgren with Gary Windo
  15. "Speak Low" (from One Touch of Venus) – Charlie Haden and Sharon Freeman
  16. "In No Man's Land" (from Johnny Johnson) – Van Dyke Parks
The CD re-release contains the additional tracks
  1. "The Great Hall" – Henry Threadgill
  2. "Johnny's Speech" – Van Dyke Parks
  3. "Klops Lied" (Meatball Song) – Elliott Sharp
  4. "Hurricane Introduction" – Mark Bingham
Hall Willner & John Tefler - executive producers
Paul Young - coproducer with Willner

Released on vinyl & CD in 1985
Reissued on CD in 1994 with bonus tracks by A&M as an Asian import

JB

Probably my favorite of the Hal Willner sets (The Disney one, Stay Awake, is a very close second). And my favorite cut is "The Cannon Song" featuring Wall of Voodoo vocalist Stan Ridgway and the amazing horns of the Fowler Brothers.

--Mr Bill

The Fowlers went to the same high school I did (a few years ahead of me). Their father was head of the Music Department of the University of Utah for a long while. You'll still see them listed, often with former (SLC) Westminster College Music Department head Ladd McIntosh, on soundtrack credits as orchestrators or performers.

Yep. I DO see their names in many movie credits (during the music portion of the credits). Most often it's Bruce whose name I see. They also appear frequently on Frank Zappa's recordings, and Danny Elfman's work (both soundtracks and some Oingo Boingo projects).

--Mr Bill

They were in the Mothers for years--a bunch of older guys who knew them and tolerated a quasi-kid brother in me took me to see 200 Motels when it played SLC and relayed backstage anecdotes. :) You can also see them on the new(ish) Blu-ray of Roxy and Elsewhere, which I reviewed for Blu-ray.com, where I discussed growing up in SLC in the shadow of them and another fantastic jazz virtuoso, Stu Goldberg (keyboard player with Mahavishnu and Shakti).

Back
Top Bottom