Vote for your favorite Sergio Mendes cover! (Early A&M)

What's your favorite among the early-A&M Sergio Mendes album covers?

• Herb Alpert Presents

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Equinox

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Look Around

• Fool on the Hill

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Crystal Illusions

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ye-Me-Le

• Stillness

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Pais Tropical

• Primal Roots

• Greatest Hits

• Foursider

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It certainly has "peaked" my interest! At least double.

-= N =-
...giving a couple of tips, online...

This thread is turning out to be one of the breast, er, best in a long time!

--Mr B
going for the easy puns this late in the day...especially with these new blood pressure jugs, er, drugs I'm on...

First off, I have to opine that Verve records (under Creed Taylor) had the greatest covers of all time. Blue Note and CTi receive more acclaim for their distinctive covers, and as great as most of them are, nothing says "class" like the cover of just about any given Verve record from 1961 to 1967. Acy R. Lehman (on staff at MGM at the time) is an unsung genius of the highest order, and is resonsible for most of the best covers on the Verve and MGM labels. Just as Reid Miles' covers for Blue Note perfectly capture the gritty, bluesy sound of those albums, Lehman's Verve covers are a perfect match for the more refined, urbane Verve sound. Beautiful beautiful stuff.

(And if you want a complete Olga Albizu record cover collection, don't forget to spring for Bill Evans' Trio '64 in addition to the Getz bossa albums. :))

Anyway... as to the Sergio/A&M question, my favorite is Equinox, for all the reasons that other posters mentioned above. To be frank, I'd probably like Fool better if the painting was more, um, lifelike. That "hill" just doesn't look quite right. :confused:

- William

William said:
(And if you want a complete Olga Albizu record cover collection, don't forget to spring for Bill Evans' Trio '64 in addition to the Getz bossa albums. :))

I like the cover far better than the album... :confused:

William said:
To be frank, I'd probably like Fool better if the painting was more, um, lifelike. That "hill" just doesn't look quite right. :confused:

I'd thought it was a photo. But for being a "mainstream" title in the 60's, they probably didn't want to get TOO anatomically correct. :wink:

RitmoCaliente450.jpg

:D -= N =- :D
...with anatomical corrections... :wink:

Jeez, talk about a no-brainer...while the debut Lp has a air of authority about it--Herb Alpert Presents--FOOL ON THE HILL. Not only for the inner gatefold-hi, ladies!--but that back cover, and how they got away with it, I don't know...but good for them! Every album cover should use a breast as a substitute for a 'hill'.... :wink: :)

ED:cool:

Although mentioned once before, I recall Sergio saying that Fool On The Hill was released -- then recalled -- when sellers (such as Sears, Montgomery Wards, etc.) discovered the back cover. "We had to put a sticker over 'em before they'd sell it!" he laughed. "And, it was one of our hottest selling albums!" :shock:

Jon...the "Brasil Nut"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom