Warm CD*

put warm cd on dvd system
It uses gracenote
Picture came up on screen of warm lp cover with signature series strip down the side
This was on the new herb alpert presents cd

They haven't updated the graphic database yet. Noticed on Spotify today that some of the albums from last decade's "A&M Originals" re-releases have the strip down the side, while others now don't. And a couple of albums are represented twice---one with and one without the strip.

It's the same with the online databases for things like Windows Media Player. Some of these new albums are showing up with the proper artwork, others are showing the Signature Series artwork, and still others are showing old A&M artwork. With reissues like this, there will *always* be confusion with third-party databases.

The databases often just match on album title and not a specific release of that title.

Heck, Warm was in the database before it was ever even available digitally. When I burned my homemade CD of it (sometime before the download version became available), iTunes would recognize the disk when I put it in the computer and pop up the song titles. (Including the now-infamous "The Sea is My Soul.") This was the first clue I saw that seemed to indicate the album was "coming soon" one way or another. Sure enough, a short time later that download became available.

Including the now-infamous "The Sea is My Soul."

I was poking around on eBay and saw a different-covered version of WARM on LP. It was Australian and had the title "The Sea Is My Soul" - so that goes WAY back.

I noticed these things when i ripped my Cds onto my windows media player on my laptop i find it all very interesting as well as nice from a visual standpoint

Since the Official Review Thread for Warm is not yet up and center, let me report this here. My copy (presumably everyone's copy) of the new Warm CD has a problem with the mixing of Zazueira. It gets noticeably brighter on the right track at 28 seconds in. I actually noticed it when the song started, and thought the deeper sound was intentional, and then came the sudden increase in treble at 28 seconds. Anyone else affected?

Since the Official Review Thread for Warm is not yet up and center, let me report this here. My copy (presumably everyone's copy) of the new Warm CD has a problem with the mixing of Zazueira. It gets noticeably brighter on the right track at 28 seconds in. I actually noticed it when the song started, and thought the deeper sound was intentional, and then came the sudden increase in treble at 28 seconds. Anyone else affected?
This situation was discussed in another thread and I myself and other who have this CD noticed the Zazueira 28 second situation.

This situation was discussed in another thread and I myself and other who have this CD noticed the Zazueira 28 second situation.

Ooops, true Bobberman. My story is: when the song came on I said, wow, this is the way he probably wanted it to sound, and now it is fixed....Then....oh boy.

It gets noticeably brighter on the right track at 28 seconds in. I actually noticed it when the song started, and thought the deeper sound was intentional, and then came the sudden increase in treble at 28 seconds.
Without having a chance to listen...it's a bright track with a lot of percussion. That probably was tape damage or wear for the first 28 seconds. Then once that passes, the track would get brighter.

These tracks were not remixed. In fact, I don't even know if they have the original multitrack recordings or not. Ideally, transferring from the multitracks would end up with a cleaner end result (being the original, vs. being a generation or two removed), but then you'd lose the "magic" that was part of those original 2-channel (and mono) mixes.

The fact that a perfectly good digital version of "Zazueira" exists on CD on GREATEST HITS, VOL. 2 makes in easier to take.

The fact that a perfectly good digital version of "Zazueira" exists on CD on GREATEST HITS, VOL. 2 makes in easier to take.
Agreed. And thankfully i have that as well as all the A&M compilations on CD too so it pays to keep them handy ( along with your vinyl and needledrop cds too) You Just Never know

Another possibility for those with the skills to do a little audio editing themselves is to load the new "Zazueira" into an audio editor like Audacity or whatever you're comfortable with, find the part of the right track that's too low in volume and a little muddy. It's from the beginning to about 0.28.10 into the track. Add a few dbs of treble to that section (I found that 6db was about right). Then Amplify that section by 4db to match the left channel, and the whole track sounds pretty good. Your settings may vary based on your own tastes and experimentation. Bottom line is, you have it, and it's fixable.

Another possibility for those with the skills to do a little audio editing themselves is to load the new "Zazueira" into an audio editor like Audacity or whatever you're comfortable with, find the part of the right track that's too low in volume and a little muddy. It's from the beginning to about 0.28.10 into the track. Add a few dbs of treble to that section (I found that 6db was about right). Then Amplify that section by 4db to match the left channel, and the whole track sounds pretty good. Your settings may vary based on your own tastes and experimentation. Bottom line is, you have it, and it's fixable.

Has anyone tried splicing the GH VOL. 2 beginning onto the HAP version? I may fire up ProTools and give that a shot... I love WARM, but am disappointed for 28 seconds every time I listen to it now. :phones::confused::phones:

It would work technically, but you'd have to attempt an EQ that matches what was done on the HAP version.

How about making your own custom CD that has the GHv2 version of Zazueira, and the HAP version of everything else?

I had forgotten about this thread, and popped the HAP version of the cD into my player for the first time and I heard that brightness increase. I thought, "Was that my imagination?" for a couple of seconds and then I remembered this thread.

How about making your own custom CD that has the GHv2 version of Zazueira, and the HAP version of everything else?

I had forgotten about this thread, and popped the HAP version of the cD into my player for the first time and I heard that brightness increase. I thought, "Was that my imagination?" for a couple of seconds and then I remembered this thread.
My thoughts Exactly. Ive done exactly that with my own custom Cds and substituting certain tracks i find it to be an excellent solution.

If you'd gotten your hands on a copy of the OR-4190 reel (and played it back on a GOOD machine) --- you could have had -for the last, 20 years(!)- practically a commercial sounding boot.

Steve Sidoruk has posted a lot of the studio log sheets from some of the albums in the past but I don't remember seeing one from the Warm sessions. I've always wondered how many people (including orchestra and choir) were involved with recording "The Sea Is My Soil" too.

As an aside--this past week, I found an interesting (if you can call it that?) vocal version of "The Sea is My Soil" on an Astrud Gilberto album. The lyrics are not even related to the title of the song, so I don't know what they were getting at on that album. (And I would think there has to be a set of Portuguese lyrics to that one.) The key is the same as Sergio's version from his Favorite Things record.

To be honest, I think Herb & Co. really nailed the arrangement on this one, since it sounds reminiscent of the seaside and the breeze.

Well, I bought the GHv2 CD, and wow... the remastered HAP Zazueira sounds so much better. Putting the old version with the rest of the new WARM album would sound even more out-of-place than the bad opening does.

It would work technically, but you'd have to attempt an EQ that matches what was done on the HAP version.

So I've been playing around with it in ProTools some, trying to replace just the right channel on the opening part of the song. Ran into several hurdles:
  • The waveforms are out-of-phase. Easy enough to fix.
  • The two versions run at different speeds. Less easy to fix, but also doable (HAP is .453 seconds slower, in case anyone is wondering).
  • The EQ is dramatically different. Currently working on that. Getting pretty close to what I'd call acceptable (your mileage may vary).
  • The channel separation between the two is noticeably different. Can't fix that. So sounds spread out a little bit, when transitioning from the GHv2 to the HAP version.
  • Even with all of that, I think I'm going to end up with something that I'll like well enough to replace the HAP version. It'll be mostly HAP anyway. I'll still always hear it though - much like a click on a needle drop. :wink:
I'm not a pro with ProTools, but I know a couple of people who are - so I'm going to hand my project off to them, and see what they make of it.

Back
Top Bottom