What do you recommend for a novice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chpoof

I'm just starting to get into Sergio Mendes and want to buy a good compilation, specifically one that showcases Lani Hall. I've seen a two-disc set entitled The Very Best of Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 on Amazon. Would that be a good place to start?

Thanks!
Mickey

That's a GREAT place to start. For one thing you get about 2/3 of all Brasil '66's recorded output. And the set sounds pretty good through most of it (there's a nasty dropout on "Wichita Lineman"), but all-in-all it's a good set. Lani is the lead vocalist on most of these tunes.

Harry
NP: radio at work

Ooo, I do hate drop-outs. Is it that noticeable? I caught a few of those on the Joan Baez box set that came out last fall, but I guess that's only because I tend to listen to a lot of music in the car, and drop-outs tend to be more obvious in such a confined listening environment.

Thanks for your response, Harry! I suspect I'll get this set anyway. :)

The dropout on "Wichta Lineman" occurs during the opening instrumental part. The song is available cleanly on other compilations and CDs, so for those of us who have a lot of SMB66 discs, it's no big deal.

Harry

Well, if it bugs me that much, then I can just get it on something else, I suppose. It's interesting that the majority of drop-outs I've heard in remastered recordings tend to occur at the very beginning of the track.

Thanks again, Harry! :D

There's a very noticeable one at the END of "Gone Forever" on the import CD. I'm hoping Verve or Universal or whoever owns the rights today releases a better version from US masters.

Is "Gone Forever" on the two-disc collection? I looked at the track listing on Amazon, but that song isn't listed.

1. Mas Que Nada
2. So Many Stars
3. Viola
4. With A Little Help From My Friends
5. Wichita Lineman
6. Batacuda (The Beat)
7. The Fool On The Hill
8. You Stepped Out Of A Dream
9. Moanin'
10. Salt Sea
11. For Me
12. Stillness
13. Cinnamon And Clove
14. Wave
15. What The World Needs Now
16. For What It's Worth
17. Where Are You Coming From?
18. Chelsea Morning
19. Lost In Paradise
20. The Joker
21. Night & Day
22. Scarborough Fair/ Canticle
23. Tim-Dom-Dom
24. Pretty World
25. Righteous Life
26. The Look Of Love
27. One Note Samba/ Spanish Flea
28. Agua De Beber
29. Cancao Do Nosso Amor
30. Empty Faces
31. Triste
32. Going Out Of My Head
33. Look Who's Mine
34. Like A Lover
35. Yee-Me-Le
36. Day Tripper
37. Viramundo
38. Norwegian Wood
39. Bim-Bom
40. So Danco Samba
41. Sometimes In Winter
42. Constant Rain (Chove Chuva)
43. Pradizer Adeus (To Say Goodbye)

By the way, I noticed that the discography states that Stillness has never been on CD, but apparently is has been released in Japan:

http://www.mediawars.ne.jp/~mundo/collect/file/s-mendes.html

Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66

Stillness
brand-new CD (A&M UICY-3707) JAPAN.....$19
originally released in 1971
24bit digital master

1. Stillness
2. Righteous Life
3. Chelsea Morning
4. Cancao Do Nosso Amor
5. Viramundo
6. Lost In Paradise
7. For What It's Worth
8. Sometimes In Winter
9. Celebration Of The Sunrise
10. Stillness

No, "Gone Forever" is from "Pais Tropical", the album that came out after "Stillness," and which was also released in the latest batch of import CDs. They also strangely edited the beginning of "Zanzibar" on that same CD, which I find completely baffling.

The Mendes discography here is, shall we say, needing a little TLC.

"Gone Forever" is a Brasil '77 track. The Best Of set is exclusively Brasil '66 tracks.

Harry

Unless, of course, you're from Australia, where Stillness was Brasil '77. :)

Yeah, but they drive on the wrong side, and their water swirls the other way around, so what do THEY know!

Harry
...having a little fun with his 'down under' friends, online...

My recommendation for a novice is to buy 4 packages:

The "VERY BEST OF" 2-CD set mentioned above. It's awesome. (In fact, if you want to be Mr. Bare Bones Collection, get this and stop here.) If not, add:

The FOOL ON THE HILL import CD, because there are only two tracks from this excellent album on the "VBO" set

The PAIS TROPICAL and PRIMAL ROOTS import CD, because there are no tracks from either of them on the VBO set.

That way, you'll have 99% of the best of Sergio's early A&M career with only two songs repeated.

If you want to save some cash, hold up on the PRIMAL ROOTS disk since it's very different from the rest. After you're suitably hooked, then get PRIMAL and see how far Sergio's vision could take him.

Thanks for your recommendations, Mike! :) I have the two-disc set coming to me from Amazon, so once I really get into it, we'll see how much further I'll go. (Knowing me, I'll probably want more.)

Well, I got the two-disc set a couple of days ago and have almost made it all the way through the first disc. It's awesome! Thanks so much for recommending it. :)

Harry, I've listened to "Wichita Lineman" several times, but I don't hear a drop out at the beginning of the song. I hear what might be a small one towards the end just before the music starts to fade out, but it's hardly noticeable. Could it be that they fixed the problem on later pressings?

Thanks again!
Mickey

chpoof said:
Harry, I've listened to "Wichita Lineman" several times, but I don't hear a drop out at the beginning of the song. I hear what might be a small one towards the end just before the music starts to fade out, but it's hardly noticeable. Could it be that they fixed the problem on later pressings?

Check again with headphones if you will. During the first second, I can hear what sounds like a dirty fader making noise in the left channel. Then throughout the first five to eight seconds, the left channel continues to sound like a wrinkled cassette tape.

Harry

I listened to it on my computer since I don't have headphones, and I think I can hear some of what you're talking about in the left channel. I guess the difficulty for me is the fact that I've never heard the song before (meaning their version), so to me it sounds fine. I imagine if I heard a cleaner recording elsewhere, I could tell immediately. I was expecting a major drop-out, like the music suddenly fading out for a brief second and then returning to the right level.

I ripped an mp3 of the song and uploaded it at the link below. Do you still hear the same problems?

[link deleted]

Yes Mickey I hear it on your link. It's the same as my CD. Hey, if you don't hear it, then consider it a blessing! And if you do, then don't worry, "Wichita Lineman" is not exactly the pinnacle of Brasil '66's canon.

Now, it'll probably be a good idea to remove that link above - we don't want the RIAA thugs invading us here. (Or, suggestion: change the actual audio to a ten-second sample of the opening only.)

Harry
NP: "Wichita Lineman" - Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66

Good idea, Harry. I've deleted it.

Well, I guess ignorance is bliss. :) Perhaps soon I will dive into more of their catalog, but for now, I'm lovin' this CD set and am quite content.

Thanks again!
Mickey

OK, one more question, and then I will try to leave you all alone (at least in this thread :)). I've thoroughly enjoyed this two-disc set (The Very Best of Sergio Mendes and Brasil 66), and I was just wondering if anyone could tell me which songs on the set do not feature Lani on lead vocal. In the majority of cases I think I've been able to figure it out since Lani's voice is so distinctive. For example, it's apparent to me that Lani isn't doing lead vocal on "Look of Love," "For What It's Worth," or "Lost in Paradise," but I have a harder time with songs like "Chelsea Morning." (Of course, there's obviously a male lead vocal on a few tracks. Is that Sergio himself?)

Anyway, thanks again for being patient with this novice. :D

Blessings,
Mickey

OK, so I lied...I have a few more questions. :wink:

First of all, I'm confused by the source discography listed in the back of the two-disc set I bought. It doesn't list Fool on the Hill as an album at all. It credits that track as well as several others to an album called Introducing Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66.

Also, what year was Lani Hall's Sun Down Lady released? The discography here says 1972, but another site states it came out in 1974.

And lastly (for now, at least :D ), is Lani the vocalist on "So Many Stars"? I'm almost sure it's her, but I figure this would be the place to find out for sure.

Thanks again,
Mickey

chpoof said:
First of all, I'm confused by the source discography listed in the back of the two-disc set I bought. It doesn't list Fool on the Hill as an album at all. It credits that track as well as several others to an album called Introducing Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66.

This 2-disc Very Best Of set was compiled in the UK, and they DID have an LP called Introducing Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66, but I thought that was just a re-titling of the first A&M album. Perhaps it came later and included the two current hits of "Scarborough Fair" and "Fool On The Hill" as well. Maybe one of our British contingent can clear that up.

Also, what year was Lani Hall's Sun Down Lady released? The discography here says 1972, but another site states it came out in 1974.

Copyright date on the spine is 1972, and my memories tell me that's correct. Her followup album, Hello It's Me is dated 1973,1974 and 1975.

And lastly (for now, at least :D ), is Lani the vocalist on "So Many Stars"? I'm almost sure it's her, but I figure this would be the place to find out for sure.

That is, most assuredly, Miss Hall singing on "So Many Stars" - perhaps one of the quintessential Lani Hall performances.

By the way, in case you're wondering, the studio tracks by Brasil '66 that are MISSING from the two-CD set are:

Upa, Neguinho - FOOL ON THE HILL
Slow Hot Wind - HERB ALPERT PRESENTS
The Frog (A Ra) - LOOK AROUND
Canto Triste - FOOL ON THE HILL
Crystal Illusions - CRYSTAL ILLUSIONS
Watch What Happens - EQUINOX
Laia Ladaia (Reza) - FOOL ON THE HILL
Berimbau - HERB ALPERT PRESENTS
Look Around - LOOK AROUND
Casa Forte - FOOL ON THE HILL
Song Of No Regrets - CRYSTAL ILLUSIONS
Celebration Of The Sunrise - STILLNESS
Festa - FOOL ON THE HILL
O Pato - HERB ALPERT PRESENTS
Gente - EQUINOX
Lapinha - FOOL ON THE HILL
Sittin' On The Dock Of The Bay - CRYSTAL ILLUSIONS
When Summer Turns To Snow - FOOL ON THE HILL
Tristeza - LOOK AROUND
Stillness (reprise) - STILLNESS

As you can deduce by the color coding above, if you were to get the FOOL ON THE HILL CD, you'd add 7 more tracks to your inventory (and most of here feel that they're GREAT ones, to boot!).

That list above, by the way, is what I compiled onto an additional CD of the leftovers from the two-CD set, making all of Brasil '66's studio tracks available to me on three discs for easy transport.

Harry
...hopefully with a few answers, online...

Thank you so much, Harry! You're becoming my one-stop information center for anything Sergio Mendes related. :D

I suspect that down the road I will get the remainder of the Brasil 66 albums on CD. Do you recommend the Japanese remasters?

Thanks again!
Mickey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom