What does "Flat Baroque" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it that contrast of flatness with baroque meaning more excessive and unrestrained in nature? It's an interesting title for an instrumental.

By definition, Baroke in musical terms can be found in the following link to Wikipedia:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baroque_music

As for "Flat", Richard just so happened to make a pun playing the song in Flat as in the sort of Pitch (#), w/ how "Baroke" is pronounced... ("Broke")

Don't know if it could be interpreted in terms of artistry, as "artistically bankrupt"--it is a good song, Richard's instrumental talent, displayed...!

-- Dave

Treasures, Japan 1987 Liner Notes:
Richard Carpenter
:
"...which I composed in 1966, was inspired by the music on a Lalo Schifrin album that was released the same year."
"The album is-- "The Dissection and Reconstruction of music from the past as performed by the inmates of Lalo Schifrin's
demented ensemble as a tribute to the Marquis de Sade", songs with a jazz flavor written around authentic Baroque periods."
"I was really impressed with this album and it moved me to write 'Flat Baroque'.
"This was one of the pieces we cut, in 1967, when signed to RCA Victor."
"Re-recorded for A Song For You album, I never forgot this tune...a perfect tune to set up Piano Picker."

Treasures, Japan 1987 Liner Notes:
Richard Carpenter
:
"...which I composed in 1966, was inspired by the music on a Lalo Schifrin album that was released the same year."
"The album is-- "The Dissection and Reconstruction of music from the past as performed by the inmates of Lalo Schifrin's
demented ensemble as a tribute to the Marquis de Sade", songs with a jazz flavor written around authentic Baroque periods."
"I was really impressed with this album and it moved me to write 'Flat Baroque'.
"This was one of the pieces we cut, in 1967, when signed to RCA Victor."
"Re-recorded for A Song For You album, I never forgot this tune...a perfect tune to set up Piano Picker."

After listening to a selection from the Schifrin album, I can definitely hear the similarities to "Flat Baroque." (ex. the drumming and the harpsichord which is especially reminiscent of the version of "Flat" on the PACC album)

Um, I got the pun just fine. It's a groaner but hey, they were young and cheeky.

It is just a play on words. It is written in the Baroque style kind of a point counterpoint and it's just a play on words I'm not sure that there's any deeper meaning than that

Wonder, then: Would it be pronounced "broke", or do you really say "Baroke", (Bar-oak) in terms of how it's spelled?

-- Dave

Wonder, then: Would it be pronounced "broke", or do you really say "Baroke", (Bar-oak) in terms of how it's spelled?
-- Dave

It's more like "buh-ROKE" but the "buh" is usually very short, so it ends up coming out closer to (but not quite) "broke."

There is a similar joke in the Disney movie "Beauty and the Beast." When Lumiere (the candle) is taking Belle on a tour of the palace, he says something to the effect of "The flying buttresses are from the Baroque period. And as I always say, if it's not 'baroque,' don't fix it." (Haven't seen the movie in probably 20 years, so I don't remember the exact line.)

Sounds like a very familiar line--I think an adult flick could have quoted or coined that phrase...

Then there's always "Baro-kay", if you were to give that word a Latin-esque bent or "Baro-kee" to Anglicize it...

Oh, I think I', gonna listen to The Bar Kays...!

-- Dave

It looks like "Flat Baroque" has been arranged for classical wind ensembles and there are a few recordings running around YouTube. Although the tempo feels too slow to me, especially considering the break-neck speed that Richard and Karen take it at, it's interesting nonetheless to hear a Carpenters song being performed in a different way.

Latest clueless confession: I didn't realize until recently that "Flat Baroque" was a pun for "flat broke" --- and I've been exposed to the song since its release on the A Song for You album, I've been broke on more than one occasion, and I love puns! They say you live and learn. Well, I lived a lot and finally learned...

In the 1980s, a young Jamesj75 decided to buy a piano and take lessons, thinking that he had a latent talent for the beautiful sounds of piano. After all, the piano was instrumental (see, I like puns) in the Carpenters' music. During the foray into piano playing, one song he learned and enjoyed playing was "Flat Baroque." He also played the chords that accompany "Crescent Noon." It was exciting for him to play these snippets by his favorite artists. Alas, it was difficult for Jamesj75 to play the piano; there was no latent talent anywhere to be found. Indeed, this venture fell flat and it broke him from the habit of chasing pipe dreams... Yet he was content in enjoying the expert playing by others...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom