📜 Feature What happens to our music collections after we're gone?

Feature article
Has anyone ever considered what might happen to their music collection, or any collection for that matter, after they've passed away? I realize this is a morbid topic for some, but I'm sure it has crossed our minds at some point.

1694463145357.pngAs I get older, I can't help but wonder what the options are. None of them sit well with me (largely because I'm still here alive and kicking for the time being), but these are possible outcomes.

Downsizing the collection as we get older.
I don't need to get rid of everything in one fell swoop. But downsizing is something that any of us could do easily, even today, just to free up some room. How many items do we own that we've forgotten about? How many have we listened to once and don't care to ever hear it again? Do we have duplicates, including special editions of favorite albums that we may have played once or twice? One day, count up the number of items you have collected, and estimate the amount of time it would take you to listen to play through your entire collection once. If it is double or triple your expected lifespan, that might be motivation to start weeding out all of those collection fillers that you may never crack open again. There are plenty of opportunities to weed out the collection and still leave us with a sizable amount to listen to.​
Handing them down to future generations.
This is something to consider for those who have children and grandchildren. I essentially have my parents' records still in storage, and have cherry-picked some of the better ones. I even have a few left from my grandmother's house (mostly classical), and more from a couple other family members. Collectors like me who have very wide listening habits will have a very diverse collection, so it's very likely my successors in life will not like some (if not most) of what I've collected. If the collection gets large enough, though, it can be too much for one person to take in. But at least some of it will be preserved. The rest? The following options cover those.​
Selling piece by piece, online.
A job I would wish on nobody. It's like running a record store--constant shipping, collecting money, dealing with angry buyers and returns. Maybe for the patient among our successors? At most, I could see holding onto the most valuable items and selling those off separately but otherwise, the bulk of the collection should be handed off using other methods. This method would, however, bring the most money out of a collection...provided the seller has the patience to do all the work and wait likely years before seeing a majority of the collection sold off.​
Selling in bulk to a record store.
While the offer will be lower than selling things piece by piece, it covers a few issues at once. First, there is often no effort involved beyond cashing the check. Next, the dealer will usually come by with boxes and equipment to haul them away, if the collection is large enough, saving a lot of sweat and labor. Also, it gets the collection handled in one easy transaction, and the space is quickly freed up for other things.​
Estate sale.
Possibly, but it often doesn't end well. Some estate sales price things too greedily. Others don't know what they have, and the resulting sale is like a feeding frenzy where other collectors rush in and try to grab what they want before someone else gets it. Worse, what happens at the end of the estate sale after the popular items have sold and the rest of the collection remains? (I saw this at a big estate sale where the entire garage and enclosed porch were filled with records. There were tens of thousands of 45s remaining when I visited, and thousands of LPs.) Most likely, the family will have to use one of the other methods listed here to get rid of everything.​
Selling locally.
This is similar to an estate sale, only the items are listed as public ads on Craigslist, Marketplace, etc. Based on personal experience in my locale, this is something I don't recommend. Few would ever pay an asking price. Most will lowball the asking price. Many will severely lowball the asking price, and toss in a few insults to your intelligence. ("I sell these all day long--I know what they're worth.") That and having to constantly leave the house to meet up with buyers in a public place (I would never let these buyers into my home) gets tiring. The only possible bright side to this is that a dealer sees the ad and that opens a conversation to selling in bulk, as I've mentioned above.​
Donating.
Outside of thrift organizations, I can't think of other places to donate a collection. Libraries seemingly don't want to handle vinyl or even CDs anymore. And donating to a thrift store environment results in no cash either, beyond a receipt for a donation that may not even be of any use. (One has to itemize deductions in the US in order to apply donations.) One also has to cringe at the typical thrift store environment, and how a collection would be handled by the grubby-handed public. I'd send old appliances and furniture to the thrift stores, but not something as personal as a record collection.​

In my case, my family knows that my collection is theirs once I'm done on this planet, and is theirs to do whatever they please with it. Likewise, I don't worry about it. But I do get a little concerned that I need to weed things out due to an overall downsizing phase in life we're going through right now. Physical media will always be with me, so I just need to keep myself concerned with keeping the collection at an optimum size more for my own sanity than for those who have to deal with it when I'm gone.

What are your thoughts?

In my will I have instructions for my heirs (wife and two sons) for my music, books, guitars and hifi stuff.

For the stuff not wanted they have specific instructions where to sell the hi-fi,. For the music and books, institutions for donations are listed.

As I only have 2 remaining guitars, 1 son gets the Tele and amp and 1 son gets the Gibson acoustic.

However, I don't plan on going anywhere soon!

I made a list of only the audio and video components and accessories I need to get rid of, and the list is already at 41 items. Once I start going through everything, that will grow. I may end up getting a table at a local swap meet (where locals sell old stereo equipment and records) and I can probably offload a lot of that there.

I'm looking into an electronics recycler for all of the old computers and monitors, and a couple of small TVs. Although the old TVs are often popular with gamers who are into retro 8-bit systems (like the original Nintendo), and I have a place to list those at.

That sounds like a thorough plan! It's great that you're considering a local swap meet for the audio and video components, as enthusiasts often appreciate vintage equipment(If you have any).

Best of luck with the decluttering process and finding new homes for your items!

My story is familiar: None of my children share my musical passion -- though I still hold out hope for my eight-year old. (Initially, I had willed all of my musical offerings to the university where I studied; however, the school went WOKE so I pulled the plug on that and now they ain't gettin' plenty o' nuttin'.)

Whoever that collection belongs to, storing the vinyl horizontally won’t do it any favours :yikes:
True! I suppose it could have been improved by dragging the entire lot into the direct sunlight? 😁

I am going to bet that it is one of those music stores where record storage is packed like sardines in a back room, and the owner has long forgotten what is in those stacks a couple of decades ago.

This was a stock photo I found, so it also could have been staged.

When my mother died a couple years ago, us kids lived on the east coast, west coast, south, Canada, etc. Little time and a big dumpster and costly airplane trips back & forth across the US. I covered my ears when my (very unsentimental) brother smashed her beloved china onto a blanket and carted the blanket of smashed china to the dumpster. Later, I found the key to her china closet which she referred to as her "sister." I have the key on my car-fob key chain.

My best friend died the day before her, and I had to do the same. He was in debt, so, that was a big mess to figure out. He was buried 11 days after he died. When his relatives found out he didn't have the money they thought he had, they went off the grid.

We live in different times. My earthly belongings will most likely go to the dumpster. Tho the buzzards may come in for my furniture. That happened with mom before she was even smoked.

I'm downsizing stuff everyday but the music was the first that I had to painfully, slowly weed out. Time is running out unless I inherited my mother's 94 years on earth.... 27 more years, aaargh!

When my mother died a couple years ago, us kids lived on the east coast, west coast, south, Canada, etc. Little time and a big dumpster and costly airplane trips back & forth across the US. I covered my ears when my (very unsentimental) brother smashed her beloved china onto a blanket and carted the blanket of smashed china to the dumpster. Later, I found the key to her china closet which she referred to as her "sister." I have the key on my car-fob key chain.

My best friend died the day before her, and I had to do the same. He was in debt, so, that was a big mess to figure out. He was buried 11 days after he died. When his relatives found out he didn't have the money they thought he had, they went off the grid.

We live in different times. My earthly belongings will most likely go to the dumpster. Tho the buzzards may come in for my furniture. That happened with mom before she was even smoked.

I'm downsizing stuff everyday but the music was the first that I had to painfully, slowly weed out. Time is running out unless I inherited my mother's 94 years on earth.... 27 more years, aaargh!
It's only harder when you hear the tunes you share together.

Back
Top Bottom