What now my love 80's / 90's CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonely bull

The original CD's are very rare here in the UK - I just bought one for £7.50 ( around $11 ). I would say that was a bargain. Are the 80's CD's hard to find in the U.S ?

I would have to say the original A&M cd version of "What Now my love" is extremely rare and Hard to find here in the U.S and everyone who owns a copy are holding on to it because of its rarity despite the fact it had been reissued in 2005 by shout factory and as far as i know it is going to be reissued on cd again soon and its availible for downloading now. Unfortunately i missed out on most of the original A&M cd issues but i have all the shout factory cds. And out of the forthcoming cd reissues ( as i mentioned elsewhere) i plan to purchase only 8 of them which will see their very first time appearance (and possibly only time) on cd.

Thanks Bobberman, because the original jewel case CD'S were produced in the U.S I didn't know how rare they are over there. I guess I was very lucky to find a few over here at HMV in London back in the 90's - I bought Lonely Bull, South of the border, Going places, Whipped cream, The Christmas album and Foursider. I later found Volume 2 on CD on eBay which even back then cost me a lot of money! I notice that there is a Volume 2 CD for sale on eBay at the moment, buy it now for $110 !!! I read somewhere on this forum that all of the TJB albums were available on CD either from the U.S or Japan back in the 90's, but I don't think that's true, certainly not " Warm " or " Ninth ", please correct me someone if that's not the case. I have all of the signature series ( 2 sets, one set opened and one unopened ) and I plan to buy all of the upcoming re issues, just TJB, not Herb's solo stuff, which does not really interest me.

The first Tijuana Brass CD issues in the '80s in the US included:

THE LONELY BULL
VOLUME 2
SOUTH OF THE BORDER
WHIPPED CREAM & OTHER DELIGHTS
GOING PLACES
WHAT NOW MY LOVE
BEAT OF THE BRASS

plus the compilations:
FOURSIDER
CLASSICS VOLUME 1
GREATEST HITS
GREATEST HITS VOLUME 2
SOLID BRASS

Japan issued S.R.O.

So no, there was never a NINTH or a WARM or a SOUNDS LIKE. Those had to wait for the Shout issues.

For some reason, WHAT NOW MY LOVE always seemed to be the rarest of that first bunch, and VOLUME 2 took on a crazed life of its own when Shout didn't issue it on CD.

Supposedly ALL of these and more will be available on CD in September, and all over the world. I suggest that anyone who wants any of these pick them up when they become available as this could be that last ride of the TjB on physical discs.

Harry

Thanks Harry, that's what I wanted to see - I have all on that list except SRO, TBAC, BOTB and Solid brass. My SOTB and GP are actually Japanese pressings, again they were bought in HMV London. The early CD's may not be the best quality but I'm glad I have them. My WNML CD arrived this morning and it's almost mint !

Don't automatically dismiss the quality on those early CDs. Remember - they were made when the master tapes were only around 20 years old and often have pretty good sonics. I've often told people looking for a better "Tijuana Taxi" to find the version on that first GOING PLACES - or even better, GREATEST HITS.

One other "Tijuana Brass" that came out in the early days was BULLISH, though some, like me, lump that one in with Herb's solo '80s output.

Harry

Don't automatically dismiss the quality on those early CDs. Remember - they were made when the master tapes were only around 20 years old and often have pretty good sonics. I've often told people looking for a better "Tijuana Taxi" to find the version on that first GOING PLACES - or even better, GREATEST HITS.

One other "Tijuana Brass" that came out in the early days was BULLISH, though some, like me, lump that one in with Herb's solo '80s output.

Harry
I concur with you on the quality of the early cds of what i was able to get they sounded pretty freshened up at the time especially the compilations they were a big step up from cassettes and vinyl for me unfortunately at the time they were a bit pricey for me.

I have all the A & M TJB CD's from the 80's and the Japanese CDs of TBAC and Herb Alpert and Hugh Masekela. I also picked up the Japanese version of Going Places and found it sounding a little better than the A & M version from the U.S. I am looking forward to the new releases. Whipped Cream and The Christmas Album surprised me with the richer and better sound.

- greetings from the north -
Martin

To that list above, because we're all basking in the warmth of the summer solstice, I forgot THE CHRISTMAS ALBUM. It was an early CD too.

I've told the story before on these pages, where I was a fairly earlier adopter of CD technology, and knew that Santa was bringing a CD player to me that Christmas (probably '84). CHRISTMAS ALBUM was out in stores that year, as I recall, and I had to have anything Tijuana Brass on this new format, so I bought that one.

Compilations showed up next as I recall. I don't recall the order, but as I saw them I picked up each one that came out. I was figuring that it was a pretty smart idea for the record companies to release Greatest Hits-type albums first to grab the big fans, then release the individual albums and the dedicated fans would still be along for the ride. But if they'd have released the albums first in this "perfect sound forever" format, then the Greatest Hits albums would be redundant, and might not be necessary to buy, if the tracks were already perfect on the albums. That was my line of thinking, anyway.

Later on, I was shopping in a dedicated CD store (not one of the larger, chain-type record stores, but a locally owned store that was already dedicated to Compact Disc. Only a 15-minute drive from my office, I'd often visit at lunchtime. One day, I spotted in his section of imports, two more TjB discs, WHIPPED CREAM and S.R.O. Man, if he also had THE BRASS ARE COMIN', I'd've snapped it up too, but it was just those two. WHIPPED CREAM had a very dark green color to its front insert, but it sounded great. And my S.R.O. was still quite the topic of conversation around these pages when I managed to join in in 1997.

Next came a bunch of US releases as mentioned above. They were all out at the same time, not unlike this fall's upcoming releases - all on the same day. In those days, CDs routinely sold for anywhere between $15.98 and $18.98, so it was pretty pricey to pick up seven TjB CDs all on the same day. And because I already had he Japanese WHIPPED CREAM, I justified it by skipping that one.

And for the Tijuana Brass records on CD, that was basically "it" for the next decade or so. I'd make album tapes on cassette for the car, using the CDs I had and when I got to SOUNDS LIKE and NINTH and WARM and THE BRASS ARE COMIN', I'd utilize what tracks were already digitized on the compilations and fill in with vinyl tracks for the rest.

If I'm not mistaken, the next TjB commonly available in the US release that came along was DEFINITIVE HITS. PolyGram had done some overseas comps that I wasn't aware of at the time. And I recall picking up some Japanese compilation of Burt Bacharach tunes that had Herb's "Promises, Promises" on it.

Then eBay became a blessing in being able to pick up those various foreign A&M GOLD SERIES discs, and Australian STARTRAX, German VERY BEST OF, Canadian VERY BEST OF, etc. I grabbed all of these just being a completist.

Martin, I recall others saying that they though the Japanese mastering of GOING PLACES sounded just a tad better than the US issue. I actually bought one in the POCM series to check it out, but never thought there was any difference. Perhaps I just never listened that carefully in the right places.

Harry

Is the original reissue 1988 CD of the song "Brazilla" does NOT have the trombone part??:confused: Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Is the original reissue 1988 CD of the song "Brazilla" does NOT have the trombone part??:confused: Matt Clark Sanford, MI
Yes Matt The 1988 cd releases of Brasilia on WNML And GH Vol 2 are missing the trombone part ( known as the "Dry Mix") as mentioned in other threads through the years here on the forum

Harry - I liked your history of buying and collecting the early CD issues very much. I'm not sure the exact year I bought my first CD player ( maybe 1986 ), I do remember it was a Onkyo, can't remember which model but it came out top on a CD player test in a popular gadget magazine. The first ever CD that I bought was " Bridge over troubled water ". I did not see any TJB CD's until around 1990, I popped into a record shop in King's Lynn and I had the pleasure of finding Greatest Hits which I snapped up with glee ! It was a year or two later when I found my next quarry of TJB CD's - as I said earlier, HMV in Oxford St, London. Yes, I too forgot to mention The Christmas album - I have that one too. The last 90's CD that I bought was " The very best of Herb Alpert ". That was to be it until the Shout!factory re-issues......

OK thanks. I did not get "What Now My Love" when it was reissued back in 1988. I only bought "The Beat Of The Brass" back in December of 1988, then I sold the CD because SHOUT! Factory reissued it in 2005. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I kept my A&M cds whatever i could get all the comps as well as lonely bull. whipped cream. rise and every cd from " Keep your eye on me " till now including all the shout factory reissues along with my long held vinyl lps both tjb and solo and it will be very nice to get the 8 clean cd versions of those i couldnt get on cd before. And on a side note since the monuaral lps will never be released im keeping them (they made excellent needledrop cds and sound fabulous.)

I've told the story before on these pages, where I was a fairly earlier adopter of CD technology, and knew that Santa was bringing a CD player to me that Christmas (probably '84). CHRISTMAS ALBUM was out in stores that year, as I recall, and I had to have anything Tijuana Brass on this new format, so I bought that one.
My copy of that was an import that came out before the domestic release, and it was likely '83 or '84 that I found it, same time I found Greatest Hits by Brasil '66. I don't recall ever posting photos of either of these--the font on the front cover is larger I think, plus the CD has different font than the standard US fonts that A&M CDs had. Not to mention being pressed by a different plant (it has the solid silver up to the spindle, not clear like the US releases--the same as Polygram CDs of that era.)

I fluked upon a Beat of the Brass from a used record shop in the early 90s but never got What Now My Love. I didn't bother buying both when they were easily available in the late 80s.

IIRC, CHRISTMAS ALBUM had, at that point, been recently re-issued on LP with the white-border front cover, and the first CD that came out also had that white-border cover.

Harry

IIRC, CHRISTMAS ALBUM had, at that point, been recently re-issued on LP with the white-border front cover, and the first CD that came out also had that white-border cover.

Harry
The import cover I have features a larger font than the US but is otherwise identical. I inherited the US copy and noticed that difference. The import has a catalog number of 393 113-2, which was typical PolyGram numbering in those days.

IMG_20160623_105905-01.jpeg

BTW I never saw the LP with this cover until well after having seen both of the CDs. I still prefer the original. :wink:

IMG_20160623_110554-01.jpeg

The background is solid silver--that's a reflection from the ceiling...

I like the large-print version of the cover, which is unique with the nice large A&M logo. My white-cover LP and CD have no such logo.

The Brasil '66 CD looks similar IIRC (especially the track listing and Polygram info); the booklet of course is the same as the old green version from the LP.

These were the first "classic A&M" CDs I had ever seen, and I was into the format early on (wish I could remember which year, but players were scarce and not inexpensive at the time). I think that was also the same store visit where I picked up the first Fantasy CD reissue of the Charlie Brown Christmas album, which I'm pretty sure was an '84 release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom